User Tag List

Page 37 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Many couples do make the effort to stay together, at least until children are grown, but then divorce soon after. There are many reasons for this that range from spousal abuse, to substance abuse by one of the spouses, to simply "growing apart". There seems to have been a generation of women who married, perhaps in the 50's - 70's, with every intention of fulfilling the traditional role of wife, mother, and homemaker, and honestly did their best with it, only to realize more and more as the years went on that they were trying to shoehorn themselves into a role that didn't fit. They did their duty by their children, but when the nest was empty, wanted out. Hopefully we will see less of this as people take on roles they truly want, traditional or otherwise, and not simply what society expects.
    my friend's parent divorced when she was 11 they had a baby in order to save the marriage, still ended up getting a divorce, shortly after her brother was born. then they moved to seattle. her older brother and my brother were the same age and we're really good friends. and me and her were the same age and at the time were best friends and had been since I had moved to memphis when i was 3 1/2. and my mom and her mom are really good friends, so shortly after they moved (her mom re married) we went to seattle and visited them, and i got to go to vancouver and victoria island so that was awesome, except the part where we grew apart and now i'm not sure if we're even friends any more. but yeah people do things to save marriages and sometime's it's just not possible. I don't know the full story of the divorce and I never will

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my friend's parent divorced when she was 11 they had a baby in order to save the marriage, still ended up getting a divorce, shortly after her brother was born. then they moved to seattle. her older brother and my brother were the same age and we're really good friends. and me and her were the same age and at the time were best friends and had been since I had moved to memphis when i was 3 1/2. and my mom and her mom are really good friends, so shortly after they moved (her mom re married) we went to seattle and visited them, and i got to go to vancouver and victoria island so that was awesome, except the part where we grew apart and now i'm not sure if we're even friends any more. but yeah people do things to save marriages and sometime's it's just not possible. I don't know the full story of the divorce and I never will
    My mother had my brother trying to save the marriage, the only thing she manage to accomplish was to prolong the entire process. My father was a 7w8, he had multiple affairs throughout the marriage. He admits he married too early in his life and wasn't ready for the commitment. He never whitewashed his wrong doing, and always admitted he should not have cheated. I know my mother was hurt by his affairs. I was able to respect him as his daughter because he never lied to me about the affairs. He couldn't lie anyway, I knew his girlfreinds and resented them. From my point of view he should have stopped trying to escape the marriage if it wasn't working and had the courage to step up and actually divorce my mother sooner in his life rather than later. We all would have been better off if he had.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I agree women should have a right to divorce like a man should. Remember that your financial freedom is more of a result of technology not feminism. Back then women were unable to survive or had a hard time surviving without the support of a man. Definitely not about sexual frustration it's about giving men the rights they deserve it's about helping create a more balanced society.
    Disagree entirely. During the war, women did all the jobs the men had been doing, at least here in the UK. Nothing to do with technology.

It is financially rewarding to work as a married couple, because the combined income is higher. Also, it's fun, there's someone to talk with, to share the load and the chit chat with, and there's bedtime entertainment which nobody says is forbidden... What's not to love about marriage?

Feminism is about ALL other working relationships OTHER than marriage...from catcalling to authoritarianism, from patriarchy to subservience... Workplace is no place for sexism.
    Likes Chanaynay liked this post

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    Disagree entirely. During the war, women did all the jobs the men had been doing, at least here in the UK. Nothing to do with technology.

It is financially rewarding to work as a married couple, because the combined income is higher. Also, it's fun, there's someone to talk with, to share the load and the chit chat with, and there's bedtime entertainment which nobody says is forbidden... What's not to love about marriage?

Feminism is about ALL other working relationships OTHER than marriage...from catcalling to authoritarianism, from patriarchy to subservience... Workplace is no place for sexism.
    Exactly. Moreover. women's financial independence is much less due to technological progress than to legal and procedural progress. Women were outright forbidden to enter most occupations, and to receive the education necessary for many. Removing these restrictions, if only as a wartime necessity, made it possible for women to hold gainful employment. Of course there was still the social stigma of working for pay, or working in "a man's field"; and the negative response of men (and some women) in those fields; problems that are still not entirely gone. But options and opportunity have definitely improved.
    In science, when human behavior enters the equation, things go nonlinear. That's why Physics is easy and Sociology is hard. -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tempbanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post

During the war when women were doing all the jobs that men were doing so what were all the men doing? that's right working in the battlefield dieing and risking their lives to protect their country and their women, your argument is piss poor here. 1.Catcalling isn't an offense, 2. Patriarchy is a myth. 3. Workplace sexism in what way?

Tempbanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Exactly. Moreover. women's financial independence is much less due to technological progress than to legal and procedural progress. Women were outright forbidden to enter most occupations, and to receive the education necessary for many. Removing these restrictions, if only as a wartime necessity, made it possible for women to hold gainful employment. Of course there was still the social stigma of working for pay, or working in "a man's field"; and the negative response of men (and some women) in those fields; problems that are still not entirely gone. But options and opportunity have definitely improved.
    This is complete bullshit, technology has allowed women to work jobs that not require manual labor this is what I mean by technology. Women only worked manual labor jobs when men were out fighting and dying for their country women had it so much easier than men. This is why you don't see feminism nearly as prominent in developing countries today because much of the work still consists of manual labor and high risk jobs which is something throughout history that women never really had to do much of in comparison to men.

What way does 3rd wave feminism differ from the other two waves? Why should feminism be viewed in waves as opposed to diverse and disparite ideologies?

Tempbanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What way does 3rd wave feminism differ from the other two waves? Why should feminism be viewed in waves as opposed to diverse and disparite ideologies?
    3rd wave feminism is the most trivial of the two, it focus on issues that have been debunked and relies on piss poor arguments to make it's claim. 1st wave focused on giving women equal opportunity while 3rd wave demonizes men in favor of extra female privilege.

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Everybody calm down and heed these words of wisdom from the Beastie Boys:

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue
    The disrespect to women has got to be through
    To all the mothers and sisters and the wives and friends
    I want to offer my love and respect to the end."
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Ivy liked this post