User Tag List

Page 36 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    If you look back in history you will notice one the main reasons why people got married and why it was so enforced into religion was to protect women and children. If a man got married to a women in her early 20's he wouldn't be able to leave her for another women once she was too old and couldn't produce children anymore.
    If this was the mindset I can see how men werent that annoyed to go and die in battle.

Seriously this world devoid of love or meaningful connection between people and men and women is a fucked up on and I'm hoping its just a staple of your imagination and, you know, not a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Here's a 1985 usage of the term.

What do Irish grade school history textbooks teach about WWII? I'm curious because I know that Ireland was neutral in that war.

I'm not judging Ireland for doing so, but I'm wondering about how that might impact the folk historiography.

In the U.S., I was made aware of the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII, which was unacceptable. I also learned a lot about slavery, Jim Crow and the issues faced by Native Americans.
    I've checked there and Ireland doesnt know who the fuck you are and thinks you're an ignoramous anyway but Ireland is glad that you're not judging it.

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've checked there and Ireland doesnt know who the fuck you are and thinks you're an ignoramous anyway but Ireland is glad that you're not judging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Seriously this world devoid of love or meaningful connection between people and men and women is a fucked up on and I'm hoping its just a staple of your imagination and, you know, not a thing.
    DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    That's not the right meaning of that!!
    Likes Osprey liked this post

Tempbanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It's much easier for marriages to last a lifetime when one partner has no way to make a living on their own. Partners stay together when there are no other options. When there is an imbalance of power, even a domestic abuse environment can appear safer than the alternatives.

I'm so thankful for every time my family unit was destroyed by women having the right to leave. I am a strong believer in the sanctity of divorce. There are a couple of times I might have not come out alive in my life if divorce wasn't an option for women. Go Third Wave!

I wish some of these young guys would just get laid rather than constantly berating women for having any power. It is about sexual frustration and it is obvious, so just realize that when you are posting.
    I agree women should have a right to divorce like a man should. Remember that your financial freedom is more of a result of technology not feminism. Back then women were unable to survive or had a hard time surviving without the support of a man. Definitely not about sexual frustration it's about giving men the rights they deserve it's about helping create a more balanced society.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Wow a whole thread of no progression. Sounds like some of mine!

Feminism is fine in concept but the stuff that gets tacked on is retarded.

Gender equality, all cool by me. My sister was quite the feminist so I have less delusions thanks to her.

First up, if you have equality between sexes then either can apply to be a policeman (the name used for ages and the title given by tradition), however apparently as soon as a girl gets in you have to change the name because it's sexist. Nope, it's sexist to think a woman can't be a policeman or is defined by titles. Don't go around trying to change language, it'll take too much work for too little reward. Just admit that a woman can be a policeman, then quit whineing.

Second, if you're going for equality and independance, please fight against the whole fashion and makeup bullshit. It's parcelled for you and pretty much sold to you because you're too blind to see the vast cost for little gain. I mean don't burn it like some extremist but for Christ's sake make some kind of relational judgement. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to ask who some so and so is that one or another dumbass is advertising on their chest, back, bag or whatever. Who the hell is this Paul and who gives two shits about his boutique? Seriously, it's mainly a female cast in this shallow shit hole, can we please see something sensible as an alternative? How about buying clothes with a frickin size in them instead of a random arse number which means shit from one store to the next. For fucks sake there's a reason I don't like shopping for girls clothes.

Three, take the bad with the good. I've been all about equality since childhood but apparently if some girl is stupid enough to start a physical fight with me it's not fair unless I hold back, regardless of their capability, size, aggression, intent or anything. Screw that. I've met few women who can't fight at all and if you're stupid enough as a bloke to pick in the walking brick outhouse then you'll get what's coming. Same rule for girls.

Four, open your own damn door and quit looking for gentlemen whilst degrading everything masculine that's not on a little girls hit list. Hell I've been educated to the point that when we recruited a young female apprentice with "hd eyebrows" I hadn't got a clue where to look. If I looked at her face (my default) id end up staring at her eyebrows in disgust, look higher and I miss her almost totally, look lower and I feel like a perve. Thankfully I'm getting used to the eyebrows.

Five, drop the shit about developing faster. Heard it before, rarely found it to be true without overly generous definitions if what development entails.

Basically I've yet to find an ism which doesn't look like a cluster of fail when analysed. Don't be an ism, just be yourself and screw convention over a cold hard metal rail.

As for the anti feminist sloping eyebrow brigade, wake and grow the hell up. You sound like an infant stomping on the school yard saying everything that you suck at is unfair. Equality isn't about treating people the same, just with equal measures of respect. Respect people in how they chose to live and you've nailed it. Find others who'll do the same and stick two fingers up to everyone else who decrys your choice.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes JocktheMotie, Luke O liked this post

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Basically I've yet to find an ism which doesn't look like a cluster of fail when analysed. Don't be an ism, just be yourself and screw convention over a cold hard metal rail.
    Finding consistency in the value judgement's of one person is problematic enough, you are complaining that there isn't consistency in tags representing a composite family of social movements that are themselves made of individuals with their own interpretations of what it means for them to be part of that social movement and how they apply it to different aspects of life and different issues in politics.
    Instead of complaining that it isn't there, think how insanely shocking it would be if you were able to find it. It would rewrite the whole field of anthropology and start the hunt for the missing hive mind ape. You'd be famous Xander, not the kind of famous most people know about but the kind of famous that occasionally gets bothered in cafes while you are trying to eat and asked for an autograph by that one person who has read your book but doesn't actually have it for you to sign because they downloaded the e-book from piratebay, while their friends and family stand by the side and nod apologetically, only to then ask you if you met the other guy in the field, you know, the more charming one who read your book and was so excited he decided to give a TEDx talk regurgitating it's content without giving you any credit so now everyone associate this with him. Is that what you want Xander? Is it?!
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Finding consistency in the value judgement's of one person is problematic enough, you are complaining that there isn't consistency in tags representing a composite family of social movements that are themselves made of individuals with their own interpretations of what it means for them to be part of that social movement and how they apply it to different aspects of life and different issues in politics.
    Instead of complaining that it isn't there, think how insanely shocking it would be if you were able to find it. It would rewrite the whole field of anthropology and start the hunt for the missing hive mind ape. You'd be famous Xander, not the kind of famous most people know about but the kind of famous that occasionally gets bothered in cafes while you are trying to eat and asked for an autograph by that one person who has read your book but doesn't actually have it for you to sign because they downloaded the e-book from piratebay, while their friends and family stand by the side and nod apologetically, only to then ask you if you met the other guy in the field, you know, the more charming one who read your book and was so excited he decided to give a TEDx talk regurgitating it's content without giving you any credit so now everyone associate this with him. Is that what you want Xander? Is it?!
    Nice try. However that looks like a lot of effort. Wasted I'm afraid.

You may have a label applied to you like your type. It helps describe you but it should never be you. Too many take labels as reality and fail at being reasoned humans. Their thinking breaks down as soon as the labels are shown to be made up and inconsistent because their thinking was too lazy to go any deeper.

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Nice try. However that looks like a lot of effort. Wasted I'm afraid.

You may have a label applied to you like your type. It helps describe you but it should never be you. Too many take labels as reality and fail at being reasoned humans. Their thinking breaks down as soon as the labels are shown to be made up and inconsistent because their thinking was too lazy to go any deeper.
    I agree that labels are made up oversimplifications of the reality we live in made to engulf it in the human mind and that people who define their identity according to a label are going to have hard time figuring themselves out and be quite boring. I thought you are complaining about the exact opposite, that people are not consistent enough with behaving according to these labels, not only individually but as a group. I pointed out that expecting such a large family of groups of individuals to behave consistently is ridicules, and that any group on this scale that does behave consistently will be an amazing achievement putting everything we know about human nature in doubt.
    Last edited by Mane; 04-03-2015 at 06:51 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    I agree that labels are made up and oversimplifications of the reality we live in made to engulf it in the human mind and that people who describe their identity according to a label are going to have hard time figuring themselves out and be quite boring. I thought you are complaining about the exact opposite, that people are not consistent enough with behaving according to these labels, not only individually but as a group. I pointed out that expecting such a large family of groups of individuals to behave consistently is ridicules, and that any group on this scale that does behave consistently will be an amazing achievement putting everything we know about human nature in doubt.
    Oh dear god no. I despise the whole culture of labelling people as if it adds value to them like some half arsed second hand car market.

Your label should be your name and it should stand for something.