Page 35 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Isn't that the whole idea behind the complaint made in this thread? Feminist made women financially independent + The courts made it viable for them to keep supporting their children without staying married -> Women don't have to stay married to support themselves -> Divorce rates go up.
    It may be the idea behind the thread, but there was never any sign that it was right. It's that last part, that marriage won't continue to exist if women don't depend on it economically, that desperately wants to be validated.

Essentially that we removed much of the economical pressure to stay together and now that it depends a lot less on that and a lot more on love, it doesn't seem to be a common success.
    It might accurate to say it depends less on economic pressure and leave it at that, because there are still too many other things it depends not, not just love between partners.

And of course, I presume we mean a marriage is a success if it simply continues, officially, regardless of how the members of that marriage behave or feel?

What economical factors do you think exist in favor of separating?
    When, one of the things I had in mind might be too indirect to call an economic factor per se, but I suppose it is. If we really want to consider that psychological aspect, as you said we do, then we have to consider that there is simply more conflict in marriages between people who are under more financial pressure. They are more likely to fight over things and more likely to get fed up with each other, hence the relationship to divorce rates.

That being said, there is the more direct (and obvious) economic factor that kids are really expensive. That might mean people will stay together if they both see each other as sources of sufficient resources, but also means there is even more pressure to leave them if their ability to provide is in serious doubt. And the harder the economic times, the more acutely that will be felt.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    When, one of the things I had in mind might be too indirect to call an economic factor per se, but I suppose it is. If we really want to consider that psychological aspect, as you said we do, then we have to consider that there is simply more conflict in marriages between people who are under more financial pressure. They are more likely to fight over things and more likely to get fed up with each other, hence the relationship to divorce rates.

That being said, there is the more direct (and obvious) economic factor that kids are really expensive. That might mean people will stay together if they both see each other as sources of sufficient resources, but also means there is even more pressure to leave them if their ability to provide is in serious doubt. And the harder the economic times, the more acutely that will be felt.
    This is just stupid Marxist propaganda from you again you're like a fucking broken record, the baby boomer generation was the most prosperous and had the most sovereignty than any other generation yet they had the highest divorce rates of any other generation. How does that explain your poverty theory?

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Many couples do make the effort to stay together, at least until children are grown, but then divorce soon after. There are many reasons for this that range from spousal abuse, to substance abuse by one of the spouses, to simply "growing apart". There seems to have been a generation of women who married, perhaps in the 50's - 70's, with every intention of fulfilling the traditional role of wife, mother, and homemaker, and honestly did their best with it, only to realize more and more as the years went on that they were trying to shoehorn themselves into a role that didn't fit. They did their duty by their children, but when the nest was empty, wanted out. Hopefully we will see less of this as people take on roles they truly want, traditional or otherwise, and not simply what society expects.
    In science, when human behavior enters the equation, things go nonlinear. That's why Physics is easy and Sociology is hard. -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes BluRoses, Hard liked this post

Permabanned Array

It may be the idea behind the thread, but there was never any sign that it was right. It's that last part, that marriage won't continue to exist if women don't depend on it economically, that desperately wants to be validated.
    I suppose I can see how you'd interpret that from the tone of the thread. Realistically as long as there are living religions then preach keeping your virginity until you are married and people who believe in it, there is still going to be marriage, so to tone down the sensationalism, it's not about marriage going extinct but about marriage becoming marginalized and uncommon.
    Personally, I think we need to address the question of style vs substance. If people still stay together to raise a family but don't bother signing up for marriage, then it's only a change in the bureaucratic envelope. On the other hand, if they avoid the act of starting a family altogether or don't care to find a stable relationship before they become parents, then we are looking at something that can significantly impact the future of society and the quality of life it can offer to future generations.

And of course, I presume we mean a marriage is a success if it simply continues, officially, regardless of how the members of that marriage behave or feel?
    Depends how you define it I suppose, but in the larger picture, it's a question about families. While it's true that there are many other reasons to get married that are of personal significance, they don't have a significant impact outside of the psychology of the couple anymore then matching their socks. The act of starting a family on the other hand does, and to the degree that it impacts the children the question about the sustainability of the family becomes relevant.

While I am sure it happens, if this is the case on a widespread level, wouldn't you expect divorce rates curves to follow unemployment curves or lost of assets? Instead we see divorce rates continuing on the steady decline they were already on, regardless of the real estate bubble, regardless of job losses and job growth.

Tempbanned Array

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    MBTI
    inxp
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

It's much easier for marriages to last a lifetime when one partner has no way to make a living on their own. Partners stay together when there are no other options. When there is an imbalance of power, even a domestic abuse environment can appear safer than the alternatives.

I'm so thankful for every time my family unit was destroyed by women having the right to leave. I am a strong believer in the sanctity of divorce.

I wish some of these young guys would just get laid rather than constantly berating women for having any power. It is about sexual frustration and it is obvious, so just realize that when you are posting.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    Likes ESFJ, ceecee, riva, BluRoses, violett and 1 others liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I wish some of these young guys would just get laid rather than constantly berating women for having any power. It is about sexual frustration and it is obvious, so just realize that when you are posting.
    These guys will still blame women. If not for having power of any kind, for their refusal to fuck them. I don't think they will ever realize this because they don't see anything wrong with blaming women for their own shortcomings, in any area.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Osprey, Luke O, labyrinthine, BluRoses liked this post

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    These guys will still blame women. If not for having power of any kind, for their refusal to fuck them. I don't think they will ever realize this because they don't see anything wrong with blaming women for their own shortcomings, in any area.
    Blaming someone else for your shortcomings is a loathsome thing to do. I admit to having been guilty of it in the past, but at a certain point, you gotta grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

If you're unhappy about something, figure out what you can do to change that, rather than blaming it on someone else. Stop pining after 10s if you're only a 5, etc, etc.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.
    Likes Luke O, BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I watched this video and I was actually completely in agreement with her until she got to about 10 min into the video. I do identify myself as a feminist. I have a 5-yr-old son.

Yes, there is still inequality present between men and women. I think this fact gets over and under-stated at times in our society. I identify as a feminist because I think women and men should have the same rights and privledges, NOT because I think women are better than men.

One more thing: at about 10:40 in the video it talks about how women earn less because they have more "social and financial freedom to prioritize things like short commutes...." Than men. Maybe some women do, but I did not. For 10 years I made more money then my husband did at my job vs his. I did not have the "social and financial freedom" to do crap! When I gave birth to both of my kids, I took unpaid time off and the only "social" freedom I had was that due to the FMLA Act my employer had to keep my job for me for up to 12 weeks. I went back to work both tines with my kids after 6 weeks because we could not afford for me to stay home longer.
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.

Yes, and I was actually really surprised by that. What do you think is causing it?
    World is lonely as fuck.

Liberal promises and lies are being found out for what they are by most people.

Men and women are made for one another.