User Tag List

First 2432333435364484134 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    What exactly can't you look up or read for yourself? I have read several books about Jerusalem and Israel and this Hebrew word is used regularly when speaking about the Holocaust. It's literal translation is catastrophe. If you have an issue with me using the term, take it up with the Jews.
    Yeah, yeah.

Discussion. Forum. You can look that up.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Maybe, but I am not convinced that's the only explanation:
    • Millennials are showing a delay in life's benchmarks across a very wide spectrum, this could just be part of that larger trend and we'll start seen more and more millennials getting married in their 40s. It makes sense that if it takes you longer to be financially independent it will take you longer before your willing to have financial dependent's.
    • We've also seen a decreasing adherence to religious institutions and a decreasing trust in legal institutions among millennials, so it's possible millennials will avoid marriage as an institution but still desire to stay together and raise a family.
    There's no point in getting married in your 40's though, a women's fertility only really lasts into her 30's after that there is a much higher risk of miscarriage. If millennials are avoiding marriage altogether doesn't that say something about marriage? the distrust in legal institutions has to do with millennials viewing marriage as a fraud. The baby boomer generation had all sorts of opportunity so they weren't faced with a marriage problem or much of a financial problem. I think we live in an outdated legal system when it comes to marriage and divorce all together.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    The baby boomer generation had all sorts of opportunity so they weren't faced with a marriage problem or much of a financial problem. I think we live in an outdated legal system when it comes to marriage and divorce all together.

Your mistake may have accidently hit the nail right on it's head - The babyboomers were actually the first generation to really see a significant change in divorce rates in the first place, which makes millennials the first generation of people likely to be born to divorced parents.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

PS- the divorce rate is not, nor has it ever been, 50%. And as the graph above shows, it's been declining since the 80s.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    PS- the divorce rate is not, nor has it ever been, 50%. And as the graph above shows, it's been declining since the 80s.
    Yes, and I was actually really surprised by that. What do you think is causing it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Finally! Something interesting! But how would you apply this? Hormone treatments to fetuses?
    Easier than that: just act as if it is already the case. Left hand of darkness, by the way, has always been one of my favorite books. What makes it great is that their take on gender and the permanently male visitor is simply part of the setting and the environment. The story is basically a political thriller about goverments at odds with each other. Shades of US/USSR in fact.

Isn't that the whole idea behind the complaint made in this thread? Feminist made women financially independent + The courts made it viable for them to keep supporting their children without staying married -> Women don't have to stay married to support themselves -> Divorce rates go up.
    Are men truly content to see themselves primarily as material support for a woman, and to have her stay with him purely out of economic necessity? I thought most men valued themselves more than that, and would prefer the woman stays for who he is as a person, whether that involves love, companionship, partnership in child-rearing, or whatever else. Men are far more than cash bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've always known it as the holocaust, I've only heard it called anything else within the last two or three years.

Although maybe I should ignore what I know for a fact and go with what you typed there as your reasoning was so compellingly persuasive and convincing.
    It wouldn't be the first time something was known by more than one name. Just consider gays and homosexuals.

Yes, and I was actually really surprised by that. What do you think is causing it?
    I suspect people are being more particular about whom they marry in the first place. There is less social pressure to marry, even if you want children, so people don't feel compelled to settle for someone who really isn't a good match.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    There's no point in getting married in your 40's though, a women's fertility only really lasts into her 30's after that there is a much higher risk of miscarriage. If millennials are avoiding marriage altogether doesn't that say something about marriage? the distrust in legal institutions has to do with millennials viewing marriage as a fraud. The baby boomer generation had all sorts of opportunity so they weren't faced with a marriage problem or much of a financial problem. I think we live in an outdated legal system when it comes to marriage and divorce all together.
    Are you joking with this?!? Ummm..there are more reasons than procreation to get married. I'll be sure and tell every girl friend I have over 30 that they don't need to be married anymore, though.

I agree that we Have an outdated legal system. I personally do not live in it.
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.

Permabanned

Your mistake may have accidently hit the nail right on it's head - The babyboomers were actually the first generation to really see a significant change in divorce rates in the first place, which makes millennials the first generation of people likely to be born to divorced parents.
    I said the baby boomers didn't have a marriage problem not a divorce problem. A lot of baby boomers got married compared to the millennial generation.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by BluRoses View Post
    Are you joking with this?!? Ummm..there are more reasons than procreation to get married. I'll be sure and tell every girl friend I have over 30 that they don't need to be married anymore, though.

I agree that we Have an outdated legal system. I personally do not live in it.
    If you look back in history you will notice one the main reasons why people got married and why it was so enforced into religion was to protect women and children. If a man got married to a women in her early 20's he wouldn't be able to leave her for another women once she was too old and couldn't produce children anymore.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are men truly content to see themselves primarily as material support for a woman, and to have her stay with him purely out of economic necessity? I thought most men valued themselves more than that, and would prefer the woman stays for who he is as a person, whether that involves love, companionship, partnership in child-rearing, or whatever else. Men are far more than cash bulls.
    There are so many factors involved and the ways in which we build esteem can be so different from one person to the next, that I really don't think there's a a simple answer to that, it's not easy to make accurate generalizations about human psychology in general, not to mention examine it for gender trends. But I will try.

There is an identity in fulfilling a role, and there is a esteem in feeling needed in that role. There are so many factors here, I don't think there's a simple answer to that. Equivalents can be found in some of the problems facing American troops trying to reintegrate into society and the programs - while direct assistant doesn't show much results, organizations that do succeed in helping them now do so by employing them for building and welfare projects, to quote, "they are looking for the next mission". There is also a deep connection between self evaluation and resemblance for role models, which in many cases can translate to fulfilling a similar role to that of your own father, (Or even single mother's boyfriends), as he is perceived by their boyhood memories.

Their might also be a continuation that touches on a very subtle differences between cultural gender tropes: Evaluating yourself for who you are (education, mother, beauty, attractiveness) vs. Evaluating yourself for what you do (job, provider, athleticism, performance), which can result from a process of developing our identity just around the same time of sexual awakening, causing people to evaluate themselves based on how they stand as members of their own gender, linked to our preconceived notions on what the opposite gender desires, only to later turn those as tools for ourselves and maturing them, enabling physical attractiveness will extent to include intelligence & physical abilities might extent to include intellectual competence, using similar results in life to answer different sets of questions from slightly different mental schema by which we evaluate ourselves and build own esteem. This might be more common to older generations then millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I suspect people are being more particular about whom they marry in the first place. There is less social pressure to marry, even if you want children, so people don't feel compelled to settle for someone who really isn't a good match.
    That makes sense - so people who would have married out of social expectation rather then finding someone they want to live their lives with are less likely to get married now.