User Tag List

Page 33 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1614

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

  1. #321
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its easy to suggest those sorts of things and its all very grand, it appears like something no one could disagree with but to be honest I think no one is harmed by the prohibition of child pornography for instance and that's just one example.
    I think banning real images can easily be justified based on the direct harm it causes to the children in question, but I reluctantly oppose limitations on, say, fantasy illustrations for the reasons I outlined above. In the first place, I don't think the precedent could be safely limited to the issue in question, and the ban on real images already contains so much leeway (i.e. defining what is pornographic) for witchhunts that I would be reluctant to extend the ban beyond that necessary to protect direct victims, even without the free speech concerns.

    And on that unpleasant topical note, I must leave to get some things done.

  2. #322
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I think banning real images can easily be justified based on the direct harm it causes to the children in question, but I reluctantly oppose limitations on, say, fantasy illustrations for the reasons I outlined above. In the first place, I don't think the precedent could be safely limited to the issue in question, and the ban on real images already contains so much leeway (i.e. defining what is pornographic) for witchhunts that I would be reluctant to extend the ban beyond that necessary to protect direct victims, even without the free speech concerns.

    And on that unpleasant topical note, I must leave to get some things done.
    I think the UK does this better than the US to be honest.
    Likes Luke O liked this post

  3. #323
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Oh, this reminds me of a story I shared on vent yesterday. It's totally relevant, too, since everyone knows that Blossom was a major feminist icon of the 90s.

    Anyway, we were talking about Nine Inch Nails and I recalled the first time I heard about NIN was on Blossom. Blossom had become enamored with a young substitute teacher who she thought was so cool because "She knew who NIN was and ate only a single serving of yogurt for lunch."

    Oh, come to think of it the Blossom actor did grown up to become quite the role model. She's a neurosurgeon now if I recall correctly.



    edit: oh, PhD in Neuroscience and apparently returned to acting and is in The Big Bang Theory. The latter of which is kind of a strike against her.
    Thanks for that as someone told me the actress on BB was Blossom and my reaction was that's a lot of balls but there you go, photographic evidence and all. I did watch the show and didnt remember her as being the same person, the characters are pretty different.

  4. #324
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Yogurt of certain sorts is good for diabetes because it changes your blood colestorol and that's good because complications are what will get you, ie other sorts of organ damage combined with diabetes will kill you.

  5. #325
    Senior Member Array ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    7,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why did the change the name from holocaust to shoah?
    It never changed.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  6. #326
    Senior Member Array ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    7,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Seriously?
    I'm pretty sure ALMOST EVERYONE wants this thread taken off topic. Even a Hitler argument looks good at this point.

    Anyway, I'm gonna grab some yogurt.
    Do you like yogurt?
    I love yogurt but lately, I have been eating skyr.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  7. #327
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It never changed.
    I've always known it as the holocaust, I've only heard it called anything else within the last two or three years.

    Although maybe I should ignore what I know for a fact and go with what you typed there as your reasoning was so compellingly persuasive and convincing.

  8. #328
    Senior Member Array ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    7,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've always known it as the holocaust, I've only heard it called anything else within the last two or three years.

    Although maybe I should ignore what I know for a fact and go with what you typed there as your reasoning was so compellingly persuasive and convincing.
    What exactly can't you look up or read for yourself? I have read several books about Jerusalem and Israel and this Hebrew word is used regularly when speaking about the Holocaust. It's literal translation is catastrophe. If you have an issue with me using the term, take it up with the Jews.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  9. #329
    The Senate Array Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    8,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've always known it as the holocaust, I've only heard it called anything else within the last two or three years.
    .
    Here's a 1985 usage of the term.

    What do Irish grade school history textbooks teach about WWII? I'm curious because I know that Ireland was neutral in that war.

    I'm not judging Ireland for doing so, but I'm wondering about how that might impact the folk historiography.

    In the U.S., I was made aware of the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII, which was unacceptable. I also learned a lot about slavery, Jim Crow and the issues faced by Native Americans.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  10. #330
    Super Ape Array Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yogurt of certain sorts is good for diabetes because it changes your blood colestorol and that's good because complications are what will get you, ie other sorts of organ damage combined with diabetes will kill you.
    It's fermented so some of the lactose (milk sugar) gets used up. A better source of dairy for people with mild lactose intolerance I think.

    I'm off topic, I don't care.

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •