Page 24 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Not a whole lot gets under my skin, but men claiming to know women better than women know women... The sheer audacity is truly staggering.
    It doesn't make me much angrier than women claiming to know what women want and men claiming to know what men want. In general, it's ridiculous t0 assert that you have any way of knowing what half of the human race wants on the basis of their sex.

But this is just one form of so many of people who think they know everything about something which they know nothing, and have no historical basis to even expect they'd know something.

Maybe it's just attrition, but it seems like there's so much of this that I can't keep being angry about it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

I'm just so very confused.

Claim: Women shouldn't do a man's job because they will be incompetent due to lack of experience.
    Feminism: Helping women gain experience they'd been denied for years due to their possession of a vagina.

Claim: Women shouldn't be given advantages like getting custody of a child over men simply because they're female.
    Feminism: Insisting that sex should not be a factor in decision making (except like medically).

Feminism actually agrees with a few of jix's points. Meanwhile,

Claim: Feminist women are destroying the "family."
    Claim: Men are the ones who don't want to get married.

Claim: Obama is stupid for saying women are smarter than men.
    Claim: Women are getting better test grades and more education.

Jix also exhibits zero consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Gynocentrism and feminism has contributed to both. It's unfortunate that children have to suffer because of this.
    I'd find it difficult to generalise like that, its a poor tactic to choose deliberately to represent the ideas you're wishing to challenge at their worst all the time and exclusively consider them so, there's good and bad varieties of feminism, just as there are good and bad varieties of opposition to the same.

I dont know what the hell gynocentrism is meant to be besides some sort of reversal of radical feminism's phallocentricism, that sort of development is pretty curious itself because doing so indicates that you're only able to develop any sort of criticism in reaction to whatever the object of criticism produces, there's a curious symbiosis in which the object of criticism is needed by the source of the challenge or criticism itself. Criticising feminism using the very tools they introduced says more about needing feminism as convenient target than what's wrong with it.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Not a whole lot gets under my skin, but men claiming to know women better than women know women... The sheer audacity is truly staggering.
    This isn't about men knowing women more than women do (or vice versa). All we are doing here is generating arguments, and showing you data. Perhaps you might like to look at this graph:

Two obvious trends here that support my POV:
    1. Female preference for degrees has not changed that much over a generation.
    2. Women gravitate towards degrees that have a more social and less theoretical nature (also supported by the data on MBTI sex differences)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    My word, a lot of conservatives are bitter and twisted, aren't they?

Tbh Marxism can go fuck itself, I used to hang around with Marxists (the Trotskyist type) and it really is a strange cult. You're far too judgemental.

Something about women is bothering you in your core.

Tell me about your mother.
    You think those marxists were representative of marxism?

Did you ever hear about how many of the neo-cons were former college trotskyists? Or the extent to which maoism, leninism and trotskyism as tactics or methodology actually have appeal to the right wing in the final instance?

There's books about this sort of thing, its embarrassing to declare and maintain that sort of prejudice.
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I can't say. But if a lot of the people here are like me, anger isn't what they are feeling.

At this point, the thread is like bear baiting.
    I'm not feeling anger at all. Mostly because I know at least one of the loudest voices in this thread isn't in a relationship with a woman, isn't supporting a family and has none of those children that are so at risk due to feminism. The only facts they can spout are the ones they read about or hear from others, not the ones they have any experience with so...
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    That's a pretty good term.
    I'm not so sure it is, I studied equality in virtually every respect of that term about ten years ago and from then to now such a balls has been made of the concept of equality and egalitarianism that I think its a totally and utterly nebulous term now, mind you its not the only one, but its easily reduced to a keyword, like many others, which is just deployed for the desired result, stopping thinking, closing minds, confining rather than clarifying discourse.

Its become just another example of "this good thing" which no one can fathom as to why anyone would possibly oppose "this good thing" and all that do are "monsters", "idiots" etc.

Although the history of the world is nothing if its not been a lot of serious second thoughts and serious reflection on suffering caused by "this good thing".
    Likes star tripper liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not so sure it is, I studied equality in virtually every respect of that term about ten years ago and from then to now such a balls has been made of the concept of equality and egalitarianism that I think its a totally and utterly nebulous term now, mind you its not the only one, but its easily reduced to a keyword, like many others, which is just deployed for the desired result, stopping thinking, closing minds, confining rather than clarifying discourse.

Its become just another example of "this good thing" which no one can fathom as to why anyone would possibly oppose "this good thing" and all that do are "monsters", "idiots" etc.

Although the history of the world is nothing if its not been a lot of serious second thoughts and serious reflection on suffering caused by "this good thing".

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What is so surprising? It is exactly those qualities you mention which allow people to portray anyone who disagrees with an equally simplistic and paranoia-inducing worldview as the OP as a bunch neckbeard misogynist white dudes who are just whining about losing special privileges-of course people are going to be all over that shit.
    Then again sometimes that portrayal isnt too wide of the mark.

Have you seen these things which are referred to as "neckbeards", I swear anyone with whatever the hell it is that causes that shit should get a shave and straighten their shit out. I'm sure there's a lack of testosterone or something behind that.

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    This isn't about men knowing women more than women do (or vice versa). All we are doing here is generating arguments, and showing you data.
    Wow, you must have a really short memory, because you said this only an hour ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    My hunch is that those feminists have failed to attract a man, and are projecting their frustration upon men as a whole.
    I'm not seeing a whole lot of objective data here.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP