Thread: 3rd wave feminism

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes violett liked this post

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    My statement makes perfect sense. Its been my experience in my 20 year marriage that my husband felt threatened anytime I tried to expand my horizions and engaged in oppressive behavior to trump my attempts at furthering my education or career horizions precisely because he was insecure and afraid of where my attempts at broadening my horizons would place him in the overall schema of my life. I don't know where you are getting that I am explaining away facts. I can factually tell you I personally work 12 hours a day and through weekends. I don't really care for whatever data you are attempting to present in an attempt to undercut my position.
    That's anecdotal. It doesnt really matter I can find anecdotal evidence to "prove" about anything.thats why its q common logical fallacy.

I'm not undercutting anything. Im explaining that your personal experience doesn't matter when ur talking about "trends" or "general truths". The basis of your statement are fallacious all on their own
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That's anecdotal. It doesnt really matter I can find anecdotal evidence to "prove" about anything.thats why its q common logical fallacy.

I'm not undercutting anything. Im explaining that your personal experience doesn't matter when ur talking about "trends" or "general truths". The basis of your statement are fallacious all on their own

Frankly, I don't care....

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post

You are as dogmatic and irascible as the people you love to hate. A real intellectual would embrace the opportunity to refine his abilities, and stop taking pot shots.
    I actually find @Magic Poriferan to be one of the most fair minded and judicious people on the forum, and it seems like most people here hold him in such light as well. It's only the people who hate his opinions that feel this way about him, which is rather sad really.

And for the record, you're taking a pot shot right now.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What is so surprising? It is exactly those qualities you mention which allow people to portray anyone who disagrees with an equally simplistic and paranoia-inducing worldview as the OP as a bunch neckbeard misogynist white dudes who are just whining about losing special privileges-of course people are going to be all over that shit.
    Yes, there are many kinds of sheep in the world. It's a shame, really.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    395 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dode View Post
    Dude. They're clearly not helping the cause of "mankind".
    .. ...who isn't?
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    A real intellectual [...]
    Haha, what is that? Something you heard about?
    Likes ESFJ, Wind Up Rex liked this post

Permabanned Array

I think a lot of problems with this result from a mesh up of various definitions of what feminism is.

I recently had an interesting encounter with that - the "are you a real feminist test" - I tested as gender egalitarian, which was right in the middle rank, with chauvinist at the bottom and "true feminist" at the top. Just to screw around I took it again to figure out what answers they want for "a true feminist" (And if you get that result she even invites you to message her on okCupid because you're "a true feminist" just like her). These were clearly not the same answers as you would to get gender egalitarian. Obviously this test author is just one anecdote, but in doing so doesn't she admit that her own idea of feminism is not same as gender egalitarian?

I think in some ways this is a natural evolution of a movement. Over multiple generations, when the people most invested interest in gender equality were women, the representation working in the name of the ideology did what every political group does - cater to it's audience's interests. And now the MRA is trying to do the same in the opposite direction. The result? In public debates, this just ends up as the dumbest squabble ever, "You have issue X? But we have issue Y!", "How dare you speak about Y when we also have issue Z!".

While this process is noisy and kind of dumb, I think in the long term its a necessary evil, over time they will both try to influence legal procedure around the world and will give society a chance to examine the merits of both sides on a case by case basis. With any luck, they'll both have their victories on the right issues. A world where women get equal pay, children get to spend more time with their dad's, less women get raped and less men commit suicide... Might just be a pretty nice place to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    .. ...who isn't?
    Women. They take what they wnt.

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    395 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    gender egalitarian, which was right in the middle rank, with chauvinist at the bottom and "true feminist" at the top.
    That's a pretty good term.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics