Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1614

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Default Feminism these days

Can someone give me an update on what's going on with feminism these days?

I haven't been keeping track for some time.

Rainy Day Member
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Likes Hard, chickpea, iHeartCats liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid in grids View Post
    There is indeed. Thank you.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That's a very broad question. Could you be more specific about what you mean?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by iHeartCats View Post
    There is indeed. Thank you.
    they are now one thread
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, iHeartCats liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's a very broad question. Could you be more specific about what you mean?
    The last scandal related to feminism that I was relatively informed about was the Gamergate and Zoe Quinn's case. I imagine that there's always something new going on, but I have no idea of whether any publicized scandal of that sort has happened after that one.
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Blue whales are taller than humans and also have bigger brains. So do elephants.
    This Youtube video does an excellent job of explaining why that is the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0XVuU-iF5U
    Likes jixmixfix, SpankyMcFly liked this post

I actually thank feminism for helping to catalyze or accelerate a mass exodus from traditionalism. In a "my enemy's enemy" sense I can appreciate it. I would take the Steinems and Dworkins of the world over the Schaffleys and Anita Bryants any day.

The first question is really whether we were already on that path. Mechanization, industrialization, ever-increasing class disparity and the decimation of huge sections of the male working age population over the course of several increasingly violent wars made the abandonment of traditionalism inevitable. Modern feminists might like their ideological foremothers to receive full credit, but I think they merely accelerated, at best, a process that was already in motion.

Question two is do we still need it in the first world? I think it is now more needed in places like the Congo and Saudi Arabia. It seems 3rd wave feminism's biggest causes are attacking trivial first world problems such as man spreading and mansplaining (two behaviors completely unrelated to and non dependent on gender), domestic violence (repeatedly shown to be reciprocal more often than not, and therefore not something uniquely affecting women), and echoing the wage gap (debunked too many times to count; the issue isn't the wage gap so much as it is the earnings gap).

Aside from those issues, I am indifferent to the movement. Feminism may die but unless humans evolve, gynocentrism will continue to be the order and neither sex will experience full liberation.

#tradconsarethesameasfeminists #MGTOW #breakthecycle #dianadavison #gynocentrismistherealproblem
    Likes Typh0n, SpankyMcFly liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm reading a disturbing book on the effect of social media on girl's perceptions of self. What do feminists think of social media's contribution to the objectification of young females and do they think it's a problem. For example:

But if the circulating of nudes is a prank, then it's one that has some tragic consequences. In 2008, Jessica Logan, an 18-year old Cincinatti girl, hanged herself after her ex-boyfriend shared nudes of here, and she was labeled a "slut" and a "whore". In 2009, Hope Witsell, a 13-year old Ruskin, Florida, girl, hanged herself after a boy she liked shared nudes of her.
    Studies have found that the number of middle-schoolers and high-schoolers who sext, with either words or pictures or both, is anywhere from just 4% to more than 50%. It's safe to say that sexting is part of the culture of social media; whether or not a girl is sexting, she's most likely aware of the practice.
    Excerpted from 'American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers' by Nancy Jo Sales

Is it just me or is there a deafening silence from feminists on the damaging effects of social media? Is it because most of the social media platforms are run by leftists that they're given a pass and feminists are loathe to criticize their own? Or do they condone the sexualization of young girls?
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."
    Likes asynartetic, SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    I actually thank feminism for helping to catalyze or accelerate a mass exodus from traditionalism. In a "my enemy's enemy" sense I can appreciate it. I would take the Steinems and Dworkins of the world over the Schaffleys and Anita Bryants any day.

The first question is really whether we were already on that path. Mechanization, industrialization, ever-increasing class disparity and the decimation of huge sections of the male working age population over the course of several increasingly violent wars made the abandonment of traditionalism inevitable. Modern feminists might like their ideological foremothers to receive full credit, but I think they merely accelerated, at best, a process that was already in motion.
    I think that's partly true, but I don't think that makes a very poignant statement about feminism specifically. The reason being that the same thing could be said about basically all social movements, particularly the ones that have any degree of success, and the accompanying paradigm changes in society.

Technological and demographic changes are also contributors to such things as the emergence of liberal democracy and the end of slavery. Do we shrug off the contributions people made to bringing about those things?

Why the technological and demography play a big part, people can accelerate and decelerate the effect. Often times long-standing institutions have a conservative bent out of self-interest that compels them to attempt stopping or at least slowing the changes that would come from these factors. It can be manipulated conscious decision making, which means activists (and revolutionaries) play a meaningful part.

You bring up Saudi Arabia down the line, and there is actually an example of what I'm talking about. Saudi Arabia is not very primitive these days in terms of material culture, nor in terms of its economic infrastructure. But feminism has struggle there far more than the USA, or most places in the world for that matter.

Question two is do we still need it in the first world? I think it is now more needed in places like the Congo and Saudi Arabia. It seems 3rd wave feminism's biggest causes are attacking trivial first world problems such as man spreading and mansplaining (two behaviors completely unrelated to and non dependent on gender), domestic violence (repeatedly shown to be reciprocal more often than not, and therefore not something uniquely affecting women), and echoing the wage gap (debunked too many times to count; the issue isn't the wage gap so much as it is the earnings gap).
    Those are very common characterizations and I do not find them to be true. You depiction of what feminists are concerned with here is particularly conspicuous in its lack of mentioning anything about rape. But we could throw many other things in there like sexual harassment, issues about maternity support, treatment of sex workers, media depictions, etc...

As for the whole thing about feminists not caring about womens' issues in other places, that's basically made up. I don't where that comes from. In my experience, they do. You might hear an American woman talking about feminist issues here more often for exactly the same reason you hear people talking about road traffic and rent prices here more often that road traffic and rent prices in Myanmar. That's to be expected. But they do disregard, or reject, or fail to understand the subject.

And of course women who identify as feminists do exist in all of those countries. I admit that I don't know any personally, and I'm not terribly steeped in the knowledge about their activities, but so far it has seemed to me that they've taken a lot of the lead from feminist movements in what is presently the first world and are on good terms with current feminists in the first world.

Aside from those issues, I am indifferent to the movement. Feminism may die but unless humans evolve, gynocentrism will continue to be the order and neither sex will experience full liberation.

#tradconsarethesameasfeminists #MGTOW #breakthecycle #dianadavison #gynocentrismistherealproblem
    Gynocentrism has basically never been the order anywhere at any time, and I don't know that there is a sufficiently civil way for me to say what I think about that position. I have to consider any serious belief in gynocentrism legitimately delusional or profoundly ill-informed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.