User Tag List

First 4696136144145146147148156 Last

Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1614

  1. #1451
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    15,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Really? because I've never seen a single feminist complain about aquireing all the dirty and dangerous jobs men do in society. The fact that there are apprenticeship peograms that target women just goes to show you how privliged women are in western society and that their lack of ability to perform these tasks isn't due to sexism. I'm talking about the right to abortion without a man's say. What is unfair about women choosing to have a child or not when women are biologically designed to have children?
    Feminists value these jobs because they are often well-paying, challenging, even full of adventure; in short, they value them for the same reasons that men often do. The apprenticeships targeting women are as much about encouraging more people to enter skilled trades in areas where their numbers are low, as they are about improving the lot of women. Women have traditionally been discouraged from pursuing such occupations because they are "not ladylike", and as you say, dirty and sometimes dangerous. They have been raised to view them as "men's jobs". This has nothing to do with the ability of women to do these jobs. Moreover the idea of women being averse to dirty work and danger is simply silly. Poor women have always engaged in hard, dirty, dangerous work, especially since the industrial age and the rise of factories. And this in addition to the risk every woman faced in childbirth, until modern medical advances.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #1452
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Feminists value these jobs because they are often well-paying, challenging, even full of adventure; in short, they value them for the same reasons that men often do. The apprenticeships targeting women are as much about encouraging more people to enter skilled trades in areas where their numbers are low, as they are about improving the lot of women. Women have traditionally been discouraged from pursuing such occupations because they are "not ladylike", and as you say, dirty and sometimes dangerous. They have been raised to view them as "men's jobs". This has nothing to do with the ability of women to do these jobs. Moreover the idea of women being averse to dirty work and danger is simply silly. Poor women have always engaged in hard, dirty, dangerous work, especially since the industrial age and the rise of factories. And this in addition to the risk every woman faced in childbirth, until modern medical advances.
    Oh and @jixmixfix, don't forget the war.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

  3. #1453
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    'Consciousness is not simply a sensory-perceptual affair, a matter of mental imagery, as the contents of our mind would have us believe. It is deeply enmeshed with the brain mechanisms that automatically promote action readiness' - Jaak Panksepp

  4. #1454
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Feminists value these jobs because they are often well-paying, challenging, even full of adventure; in short, they value them for the same reasons that men often do. The apprenticeships targeting women are as much about encouraging more people to enter skilled trades in areas where their numbers are low, as they are about improving the lot of women. Women have traditionally been discouraged from pursuing such occupations because they are "not ladylike", and as you say, dirty and sometimes dangerous. They have been raised to view them as "men's jobs". This has nothing to do with the ability of women to do these jobs. Moreover the idea of women being averse to dirty work and danger is simply silly. Poor women have always engaged in hard, dirty, dangerous work, especially since the industrial age and the rise of factories. And this in addition to the risk every woman faced in childbirth, until modern medical advances.
    You have everything backwards, women don't enter these dirty fields because they choose not to, they aren't raised to view them as non lady like. Women aren't interested in such pursuits as it isn't their strength much like many men aren't interested in nursing. There are biological differences between the brains of men and women. We see in this scientific study which maps out the male and female brain you can see the strengths and weaknesses of both men and women. "Many previous psychological studies have revealed significant differences between the sexes in the ability to perform various cognitive tests. Men tend to outperform women involving spatial tasks and motor skills - such as map reading - while women tend to better in memory tests, such as remembering words and faces, and social cognition tests, which try to measure empathy and “emotional intelligence”.

    The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading' - Life and Style - The Independent

    You keep bringing up poor women in times of war, remember that in harsh times women had no choice to acquire such jobs because men are out sacrificing their lives. Women historically have taken the safer route in comparison to men, society has always catered toward their needs.An example of this was when women were given the right to vote they were also exempt from the draft
    Men are still required to serve their country as a responsibility of course you don't see feminists complaining about this inequality however.

  5. #1455
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    War fuels capitalism, harsh times are a big money maker for society. The government knew this so they decided to fund women to enter the workforce. In comparison to the millions of men that sacrificed their lives during that time Rosie the riviter is a cake walk.

  6. #1456
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    War fuels capitalism, harsh times are a big money maker for society. The government knew this so they decided to fund women to enter the workforce. In comparison to the millions of men that sacrificed their lives during that time Rosie the riviter is a cake walk.
    Admit it, you can't say that women can do "men's jobs". Plus women were involved in the war too. I can't roll my eyes enough, dude.

  7. #1457
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    You have everything backwards, women don't enter these dirty fields because they choose not to, they aren't raised to view them as non lady like. Women aren't interested in such pursuits as it isn't their strength much like many men aren't interested in nursing. There are biological differences between the brains of men and women. We see in this scientific study which maps out the male and female brain you can see the strengths and weaknesses of both men and women. "Many previous psychological studies have revealed significant differences between the sexes in the ability to perform various cognitive tests. Men tend to outperform women involving spatial tasks and motor skills - such as map reading - while women tend to better in memory tests, such as remembering words and faces, and social cognition tests, which try to measure empathy and “emotional intelligence”.

    The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading' - Life and Style - The Independent

    You keep bringing up poor women in times of war, remember that in harsh times women had no choice to acquire such jobs because men are out sacrificing their lives. Women historically have taken the safer route in comparison to men, society has always catered toward their needs.An example of this was when women were given the right to vote they were also exempt from the draft
    Men are still required to serve their country as a responsibility of course you don't see feminists complaining about this inequality however.
    Assuming the difference between male and female brains is the same for everyone is a mega fail.

  8. #1458
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    Assuming the difference between male and female brains is the same for everyone is a mega fail.
    It seems to me like you don't understand the basic principles behind a study.

  9. #1459
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    Admit it, you can't say that women can do "men's jobs". Plus women were involved in the war too. I can't roll my eyes enough, dude.
    A women can do a man's job but a man will 9 times out of 10 do it better.

  10. #1460
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    Know what annoys me about that article? There is a lot of 'could' in it.

    It 'could' explain X characteristic and it 'could' explain X issue. Where's mah 'does' at? The connections between various hemispheres and different locales of the brain would be good shit, but that article doesn't really explain itself beyond associations.

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    A women can do a man's job but a man will 9 times out of 10 do it better.
    Could you give me some examples? I'm curious.
    'Consciousness is not simply a sensory-perceptual affair, a matter of mental imagery, as the contents of our mind would have us believe. It is deeply enmeshed with the brain mechanisms that automatically promote action readiness' - Jaak Panksepp

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts