User Tag List

Page 14 of 162 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1614

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

  1. #131
    The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    Perhaps for insecure men who can only feel adequate when they have their wives at home and financially dependant on them. And for men who otherwise can not compete in the workplace with an equally qualified woman.
    That statement doesn't make sense. Why wouldnt men be able to compete in the workplace with an EQUALLY competent woman. Are you saying women are somewhat superior to men and that gives them an advantage?

    There is a lot of empirical data suggesting otherwise. Men work longer hours than women, ask for less lifestyle related accomodations to be made to them. Also a large majority of people having profoundly impacted society to date are men. You can explain the facts away however you'd like but these are however still the facts.

    So what do you base your opinion on? Wouldn't you say it was a sexist comment?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  2. #132
    Finis Array Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    So what would satisfy you? Do you want all the women in the world to quit their jobs, stop improving their minds, and confine themselves to domesticity and baby-makin'? Would that make you happy? I guarantee it wouldn't make them happy.
    Maybe not. But it would make them useful...to MANkind.

  3. #133
    The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Maybe not. But it would make them useful...to MANkind.
    Well that seems a bit limited a view/joke.
    People can be useful doing a million things. If they are already useful now then changing their activity to a more traditional one wouldn't really make them any more or less useful.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  4. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That statement doesn't make sense. Why wouldnt men be able to compete in the workplace with an EQUALLY competent woman. Are you saying women are somewhat superior to men and that gives them an advantage?

    There is a lot of empirical data suggesting otherwise. Men work longer hours than women, ask for less lifestyle related accomodations to be made to them. Also a large majority of people having profoundly impacted society to date are men. You can explain the facts away however you'd like but these are however still the facts.

    So what do you base your opinion on? Wouldn't you say it was a sexist comment?

    My statement makes perfect sense. Its been my experience in my 20 year marriage that my husband felt threatened anytime I tried to expand my horizions and engaged in oppressive behavior to trump my attempts at furthering my education or career horizions precisely because he was insecure and afraid of where my attempts at broadening my horizons would place him in the overall schema of my life. I don't know where you are getting that I am explaining away facts. I can factually tell you I personally work 12 hours a day and through weekends. I don't really care for whatever data you are attempting to present in an attempt to undercut my position.
    Likes Luke O, Passacaglia liked this post

  5. #135
    Super Ape Array Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Anomie is frightening. A lot of people are frightened by the possibility that there will be no place for them in a new world.

    But there are other factors. He probably has personal insecurities that he is externalizing. Maybe personal struggles he's trying to scapegoat onto feminists.

    And then, there are some anti-feminist propaganda mills out there. It is very transparent that jixmixfix has been reading them a lot, he is echoing them left and right. So lots of people like him get swamped in misinformation about what feminism is or does, and certain people have a psychological profile that makes them more likely to buy into that sort of thing (like because of the reasons above, as well as other meta-cognitive abilities I think).

    As always, a big cross-section of factors. After WWII, the causes of antisemitism became a popular topic. I think a lot of analysis on it is also applicable to why people form positions like the one jixmixfix holds.
    Sounds to me like a fear of change. Like many of us, jixmixfix may have been brought up in an environment where there was a male breadwinner, and a female caring for the household, and may have expected to repeat it for his generation. The thing he doesn't get is that while that system may have been successful, it isn't the only successful way of leading an adult life. So many people are fearful of change, no matter how justified, that they believe any change will bring doom.

    Or the fact that the male-dominated patriarchal systems the world over empowers men at the expense of everyone else, and that they should fight tooth and nail to keep that empowerment, no matter what detriment that may cause. Drunk on power.

    I love women, and respect them so much that I'm willing to share that power, so we can all be awesome.
    Likes violett, Passacaglia liked this post

  6. #136
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    So what would satisfy you? Do you want all the women in the world to quit their jobs, stop improving their minds, and confine themselves to domesticity and baby-makin'? Would that make you happy? I guarantee it wouldn't make them happy.
    It's not what makes me happy but what would make women happier as well. Just better laws in general especially concerning marriage and divorce would help quite a bit with a more egalitarian approach. Stricter laws involving false rape accusations. Also we shouldn't shame women who don't want to work in a high risk highly responsible job I think that is morally wrong in and of itself. I think women should have the flexibility to able to raise children and or work if they want to. It should be a choice. Encourage more boys to go to school, have a system that just doesn't teach pointless theory but incorporates practicality as well. Some education systems around the world are starting to catch on. Those are just some ideas there many others.

  7. #137
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    Sounds to me like a fear of change. Like many of us, jixmixfix may have been brought up in an environment where there was a male breadwinner, and a female caring for the household, and may have expected to repeat it for his generation. The thing he doesn't get is that while that system may have been successful, it isn't the only successful way of leading an adult life. So many people are fearful of change, no matter how justified, that they believe any change will bring doom.

    Or the fact that the male-dominated patriarchal systems the world over empowers men at the expense of everyone else, and that they should fight tooth and nail to keep that empowerment, no matter what detriment that may cause. Drunk on power.

    I love women, and respect them so much that I'm willing to share that power, so we can all be awesome.
    I stopped reading when I saw "male-dominated patriarchal systems". Same old marxist bullshit over and and over.

  8. #138
    He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I stopped reading when I saw "male-dominated patriarchal systems". Same old bullshit over and and over.
    I imagine that's about how far you usually read into texts. And it is apparently how much you read through all of my posts.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #139
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    So let me get this straight: We've given nine pages of attention to a guy that's too intellectually lazy to note that divorce rates peaked 3 decades ago because it doesn't suit his agenda, can't spell the president's name, and can't understand how basic jokes work?
    What is so surprising? It is exactly those qualities you mention which allow people to portray anyone who disagrees with an equally simplistic and paranoia-inducing worldview as the OP as a bunch neckbeard misogynist white dudes who are just whining about losing special privileges-of course people are going to be all over that shit.
    Likes Osprey liked this post

  10. #140
    Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None
    Posts
    2,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What is so surprising? It is exactly those qualities you mention which allow people to portray anyone who disagrees with an equally simplistic and paranoia-inducing worldview as the OP as a bunch neckbeard misogynist white dudes who are just whining about losing special privileges-of course people are going to be all over that shit.
    True. But I expect better, and so should others.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes Lark liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •