User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Let the Games Begin - 2016 Presidential Race: Ted Cruz Announces Candidacy

FiveThirtyEight Blog - Let’s Be Serious About Ted Cruz From The Start: He’s Too Extreme And Too Disliked To Win

The race for the 2016 presidency has officially begun with the announcement that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is running for the republican nomination. There have been a number of news articles going around pointing this out and analyzing it. That said, I find that this article sums it up best.

First, Cruz doesn’t have enough support from party bigwigs.

Second, Cruz has an electability problem. You can see this on two fronts: ideology and polling.

This brings us to our third and final point: In addition to GOP politicians and the overall public, Cruz has been deemed unpresidential by Republican voters, too.
    His goose is already cooked. The article clearly lays out why he'll never get far. He doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell at winning the nomination. The article suggests that he might even know this, and is just doing this to get a media platform. To what end is anyones guess. The fact that he is running though is going to change the dynamic significantly of the republican side of the race. He is loud and garners attention is liable to be a major distraction and directing point to what the conversations are about. Unfortunately, it's likely to hurt the republican party a lot by doing so. The vast majority on both sides of the aisle regards that you have to have complete mush for brains to agree, support, or believe him. Yet, they seem powerless to put a stop to him. It seems like they have managed to put somewhat of a gag on him, but not to a strong effect. With his announcement, that's pretty much gone.

Ultimately, my reaction upon seeing him announce his run was: .

Discuss.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'd rather see Senator Cruz on the Supreme Court. The problem with Cruz is he's a senator with nearly identical views to Governor Walker and Walker has a much better record of accomplishment. The field is going to be very crowded with excellent candidates like Rubio, Paul, Walker, and Perry. It's going to be very hard for Cruz to separate himself from the field and unless Walker screws up, I think he and Paul have the best chance of upsetting the establishment rino Jeb Bush.

Also, Senator Cruz doesn't own "tedcruz dot com"; yikes!

On the Democrat side, there is no way in hell Senator Warren isn't running. Hillary has already semi-imploded and the scandals are not going away. Someone check if anyone's bought the domains "Warren2016" or "Fauxcahontas2016".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post

On the Democrat side, there is no way in hell Senator Warren isn't running. Hillary has already semi-imploded and the scandals are not going away. Someone check if anyone's bought the domains "Warren2016" or "Fauxcahontas2016".
    On my side of things, I hope Warren does run. I prefer her to Hillary in so many ways. I voted for Dean in the 2004 primaries, my first election, and remember her stance and position at the time very clearly. She still seems incredibly hawkish to this day, and does not appear to have learned anything. I consider her to be one of the people responsible for ISIS, along with the Republican administration at that time. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I don't mean that intentionally, but at the time it was evident to me that not only was the evidence of WMD's flimsy, but that they had no clear plan for what to do after the attack. I predicted that invading Iraq would further radicalize the Middle East and contribute to the spread of Islamic extremism. (Clearly, I was wrong on that front.)

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do if it's Hillary as the nominee. Depending on who she is up against, I may go for a third party (something I'll probably have to keep silent about, outside of internet forums.)

Warren2016.com is registered to Namebright.com, although, unfortunately, the WHOIS contact information is private.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Ted Cruz? He wasn't even born in 'murica!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The only way Warren isn't running is if the Clintons already agreed to make her the VP running mate. Read her book; she's very ambitious and she wants to be president. Give it another month and there'll be yet another scandal or two with Hillary; she's corrupt to the core.

All told, more than a dozen foreign individuals and their foundations and companies were large donors to the Clinton Foundation in the years after Mrs. Clinton became secretary of state in 2009, collectively giving between $34 million and $68 million, foundation records show. Some donors also provided funding directly to charitable projects sponsored by the foundation, valued by the organization at $60 million.
    Clinton Charity Tapped Foreign Friends

Clear conflict of interest even if it might have been legal. What did these nations get back in return?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    On my side of things, I hope Warren does run. I prefer her to Hillary in so many ways. I voted for Dean in the 2004 primaries, my first election, and remember her stance and position at the time very clearly. She still seems incredibly hawkish to this day, and does not appear to have learned anything. I consider her to be one of the people responsible for ISIS, along with the Republican administration at that time. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I don't mean that intentionally, but at the time it was evident to me that not only was the evidence of WMD's flimsy, but that they had no clear plan for what to do after the attack. I predicted that invading Iraq would further radicalize the Middle East and contribute to the spread of Islamic extremism. (Clearly, I was wrong on that front.)

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do if it's Hillary as the nominee. Depending on who she is up against, I may go for a third party (something I'll probably have to keep silent about, outside of internet forums.)

Warren2016.com is registered to Namebright.com, although, unfortunately, the WHOIS contact information is private.
    I actually hope Warren doesn't run. It's too early. Besides, she's not going to anyway. She's said it as flatly and plainly as she can possibly muster again, and again with no ambiguity. She knows now is not the right time. 2020 would be the right time.

She's doing good work in the Senate, and she knows that she will be more productive and get done what she seeks to get done there. I really wish she could run, she is (in my eyes anyway) the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time. I've been following her closely since she was running against Scott Brown. She needs more time and experience first though.

Yeah, Hillary is going to be interesting. Currently she stands the best chance for Democrats. I do not like her, nor trust her at all. However she could be a lot worse. What's likely to happen is I'll vote for her as a vote against the GOP, which is what I often do the vast majority of the time. Ye olde lesser of two evils.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Senator Warren isn't a spring chicken. She was born June 22, 1949. She'll be 67 years old in 2016 and if the Republicans win, she won't stand much of a chance of winning until 2024 when she's 75 yrs old. There really is no other window of opportunity except for 2016.

Why indeed is Cruz running? Is it so that neither of the nut candidates can accumulate too much sway with the nut base and thus get the nomination? Does Ted play team sport? That would leave Bush or perhaps even Paul as the nominee. Yet, having run unsuccessfully in 2016, how good are Cruz's chances in 2020? Does he play for the team at the expense of his own ambitions? It does not add up.

On the Democrat side, I am not sure whether I would pick Warren or Clinton. From the looks of it, Hillary is too much of the established same, but maybe she would bloom again once she gets into real power. Warren seems too good to sacrifice on the altar of popular opinion, although I am curious to see what she would do as president.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Why indeed is Cruz running? Is it so that neither of the nut candidates can accumulate too much sway with the nut base and thus get the nomination? Does Ted play team sport? That would leave Bush or perhaps even Paul as the nominee. Yet, having run unsuccessfully in 2016, how good are Cruz's chances in 2020? Does he play for the team at the expense of his own ambitions? It does not add up.
    Prior primary runs give you a better chance of winning and are pretty much necessary for Republicans... unless you belong to a legacy.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Prior primary runs give you a better chance of winning and are pretty much necessary for Republicans... unless you belong to a legacy.
    Is that universally true? Because Cruz is not exactly a dark horse. From my point of view, it looks like he is popular because people project their ideals onto him. Failing to deliver fulfillment to them might then hurt his chances rather than help them, I imagine. The messiah can only appear so often before people become disillusioned. I think that is how it would have gone for Obama had he failed the first time. But perhaps you are right.