First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Hm, good point. Weapons that can take out entire vehicles of people cops are plenty bad for business too. A government's gotta at least appear to be able to enforce law and order!

Anyhow, I think current wholesale gun bans will be loosened first, particularly if we assume that 3D printing becomes cheap and reliable by the time the world comes together. (Very likely.)

And something else to throw into the mix: Will we have a better handle on psychology by the time this happens? Will kids still be occasionally shooting up schools? Will the average citizen be just as [ir]responsible? Will anger management therapy be any more available to the average citizen? Will we perhaps even be chemically or genetically altering our emotions? These questions may be the most important factors in future gun control of all.
    Not only that but what is the future in security? Can it be made so you can't just grab someone's gun and fire it?

Perhaps that's the logical step for the states. Allow firearm ownership but ensure you know who fired what by locking the gin to the owner. Wouldn't work with old fashioned firearms...

Btw, the future isn't that far off.... This personal flamethrower is somehow legal in 49 states
    A lovely "tool" for the gardener in all of us.

Squirrels beware!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

The very notion of global governance is an affront to self-determination.

The hypocrisy of people here makes me so angry. You who cry out about individual rights cannot then turn around, welcoming the idea of somebody on the other side of the world influencing your political life. But of course, the compulsion to create world government isn't really about "rights". It is about fulfilling a utopian vision where we all look the same, speak the same language and like the same things. Because then there would be no more wars, right? Nobody would be racist, and everybody would be tolerant of each other. We would all sing and hold hands. Life would be just...wonderful.

How millions of people can be so deluded is a testament to human stupidity. I feel like throwing my laptop across the room!
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Not only that but what is the future in security? Can it be made so you can't just grab someone's gun and fire it?

Perhaps that's the logical step for the states. Allow firearm ownership but ensure you know who fired what by locking the gin to the owner. Wouldn't work with old fashioned firearms...
    I suspect this solution would run into the same problem as Chris Rock's "If every bullet were made of gold..." joke; DIYers and criminals would simply make their own guns or remove/hack the personalized safety software. I guess it'd make guns more costly though, and give law enforcement something more to hold over a criminal's head if a 'homebrewed' or hacked gun were confiscated.

Btw, the future isn't that far off.... This personal flamethrower is somehow legal in 49 states
    A lovely "tool" for the gardener in all of us.

Squirrels beware!
    Holy shit, that thing's scary!

Not gonna lie though...I kinda want to play with one.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post

The hypocrisy of people here makes me so angry. You who cry out about individual rights cannot then turn around, welcoming the idea of somebody on the other side of the world influencing your political life. But of course, the compulsion to create world government isn't really about "rights". It is about fulfilling a utopian vision where we all look the same, speak the same language and like the same things. Because then there would be no more wars, right? Nobody would be racist, and everybody would be tolerant of each other. We would all sing and hold hands. Life would be just...wonderful.

How millions of people can be so deluded is a testament to human stupidity. I feel like throwing my laptop across the room!
    Question, why does distance make that much of a deal to you? The world is getting smaller, they say, and I'd take having a conversation with someone from the other side of the world (potentially), with no fuss, as sign of that.

Besides, we aren't completely isolated. Media and business don't care about lines on a map.

Also these things are usually less about control and more about cohesion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I suspect this solution would run into the same problem as Chris Rock's "If every bullet were made of gold..." joke; DIYers and criminals would simply make their own guns or remove/hack the personalized safety software. I guess it'd make guns more costly though, and give law enforcement something more to hold over a criminal's head if a 'homebrewed' or hacked gun were confiscated.
    Both true.

It would be nice though if an illegal gun were that easy to spot. You'd be able to get rid of them easier. Plus it'd stop the incidents with kids getting hold of them.

Holy shit, that thing's scary!

Not gonna lie though...I kinda want to play with one.
    Oh me too. Personally I'd love a collection of tanks and all kinds of weaponry... I'm working on the wife for a second mortgage though.

That's kind of the odd thing... I'd love to have a collection of guns. I'm just not in support of letting the idiots get them and currently they are allowed to drive so they must be able to slip through the net. So it's best if we don't have them right now.

No doubt I would also want a pulse rifle but I'd be even more against some schmoe with a two bit philosophy having one.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Question, why does distance make that much of a deal to you? The world is getting smaller, they say, and I'd take having a conversation with someone from the other side of the world (potentially), with no fuss, as sign of that.
    Because we are not all the same. While the world itself may be getting smaller, individual countries are more divided than ever, for the exact same reason. The world's cultural differences mean that effective global governance is impossible. We should also learn from the failures of the past: while nations can last, empires always fall - and the collapse begins from within.

This is the future of America. I am just so thankful that I live a long way away.

Besides, we aren't completely isolated. Media and business don't care about lines on a map.

Also these things are usually less about control and more about cohesion.
    Media and business running riot create an exploitative environment. A world where they had no regulation at all would be a world that neither of us would wish to live in.

I also value diversity - real diversity - above cohesion, especially if it has to be forced.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Depends what kind of government we're talking about.

I'm not sure who you're ranting at, but global government isn't something I look forward to or fear. I don't think it's going to happen in our lifetimes or anytime remotely soon; but I do think it'll eventually happen. Unless of course we blow ourselves up first.

No, no, please don't deprive us of your wisdom and cultured presence.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

The world's cultural differences mean that effective global governance is impossible.
    Truth.

Set aside global, lets talk about national governance. Does there exist a single country where there aren't significant cultural differences? (rhetorical question)

I think the nature of culture is such that we will ALWAYS have differences. Terror management theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia See also: Evidence For Terror Management Theory: I. The Effects of Mortality Salience on Reactions to Those Who Violate or Uphold Cultural Values http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

But why do we "create/look" for these differences? It's useful and it's a part of our lizard brain.

"In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules, learned or hard-coded by evolutionary processes, that have been proposed to explain how people make decisions, come to judgments, and solve problems typically when facing complex problems or incomplete information. Researchers test if people use those rules with various methods. These rules work well under most circumstances, but in certain cases lead to systematic errors or cognitive biases.

Although much of the work of discovering heuristics in human decision-makers was done by the Israeli psychologists Amos Tversky and Daniel Kahneman, the concept was originally introduced by Nobel laureate Herbert A. Simon. Simon's original, primary object of research was problem solving which showed that we operate within what he calls bounded rationality. He coined the term "satisficing", which denotes the situation where people seek solutions or accept choices or judgments that are "good enough" for their purposes, but could be optimized."

"Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, stereotyping, profiling, or common sense."

Heuristic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're running around using software that is "modern" but using stone age hardware. As long as there exists a human need for the fight/flight/freeze response our brains will continue to use Amygdala hijacks (that lizard brain I spoke of) and heuristics as the lever.

I'm pessimistic about anything remotely resembling "can't we all just get along" (although admittedly I used to think this way ). As history has shown us, no we can't, we never have and due to the aforementioned we aren't going to anytime in the near future.

*commences to rain on thread*

P.S. @Kullervo @Ingrid in grids American Hegemony is coming for you, resistance is futile! You WILL be assimilated into The Collective. The first order of business is to "share" our 2nd amendment with you folks, you know, to ward off the occasional rabid Tasmanian Devil or Kangaroo, oh, and Crocodilies since they are everywhere over there.

P.S.S. I'll be more than happy to offer assistance in safety training and practice. For a nominal price of course. @Ingrid in grids you can "work" it off, if you are so inclined
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Because we are not all the same. While the world itself may be getting smaller, individual countries are more divided than ever, for the exact same reason. The world's cultural differences mean that effective global governance is impossible. We should also learn from the failures of the past: while nations can last, empires always fall - and the collapse begins from within.
    The term "cultural difference" always smacks of avoidance to me. Surely we're all different, some people just don't want to explain it.

Where is this vast divide in man? Certainly why value it above the openness of a wider "culture"?

This seems like the UK in a larger scale. We have lots of" minorities" many with a habit of sticking to others who claim the same or similar title. The thing is it doesn't have to be like that. So you're of a foreign faith and you want a temple. So what? It's the self same thing as anyone wanting something. You pay due care and attention that the not so popular opinions are looked after and otherwise go wrong th the safe main stream. No minorities, no subculture this and culture of that. Just a bunch of human beings trying to live in a certain amount of space harmoniously. I swear that half of this stuff is designed to keep politicians in a job. I've never met anyone who's "culture" was so alien to me that I couldn't live by it.
    This is the future of America. I am just so thankful that I live a long way away.
    Nah. Never happen. They have God on their side.... Never heard that one before...
    Media and business running riot create an exploitative environment. A world where they had no regulation at all would be a world that neither of us would wish to live in.
    True but they are holding a lot of the cards.
    I also value diversity - real diversity - above cohesion, especially if it has to be forced.
    True diversity needs no labels, no recognition from a system of cataloguing and no unification under false colours.

Why the hell should I think my country is the best? Who says so? Of it isn't the best then why can't I simply move and live somewhere else? Oh yeah... Mass inequality of living standards.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

You'd have to ask The Brain (not Pinky).
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.