User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

This is from a book that I think has a lot to do with this...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JjJot View Post
    "World-wide" gun ban is going to invoke some kind of discussion about poverty because of the above mentioned cycle. Poverty is a "perceived threat". Help to eliminate poverty, we will place less importance on guns, although, yes, they will never go away, because eliminating this cycle is such a large task (but like I said, worth the effort in the meantime)
    There won't be a world wide gun ban. And if there is one, it's going to be flouted so much that it might as well not be.

Guns are too easy to make, militaries aren't going to give them up, and there will always be some bleed over from political arms deals (providing weapons to some oppressed rebels which end up on the black market)
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    There won't be a world wide gun ban. And if there is one, it's going to be flouted so much that it might as well not be.
    Agree totally. My intention is to try addressing the underlying issues of how to minimize the need for guns period, despite their presence. And yes, gun trafficking is the third largest black market item in the world, behind drugs and human trafficking... Crazy.
    Last edited by JjJot; 03-18-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: clarify

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JjJot View Post
    Agree totally. My intention is to try addressing the underlying issues of wishing for a ban like that.
    Ah yeah I see that now. Just a little mixup there.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't know how that will work out. Since you have a combination of very zealous gun owners, a lot of Hispanics (who may be discriminated against), and the police have bad civil rights reputations in different parts of the state.

Makes me think you folks will have a lot of encounters similar to the one in this video regardless of which side might be in the right in the particular situation: insertvidhere
    Again, it all depends on perspective. For me, the number 1 issue with gun safety is accountability. For others, it's less weapons = less weapons available for anything good or bad which they'll take. I don't want to derail the thread too much, as I think I've talked at length about my position on gun control before, but those hurdles you mentioned are one of the very reasons why I think gun control requires reform. Particularly in the South.

So far as the cops go.. I think it's a matter of reforming the police procedures and standards so that anything illegal done to a person results in far harsher sentences than police currently get. The reality is that cops are the law, and they have to live it while that uniform is on. And if they live in a particularly dangerous place, they need to be out in more force, and numbers, and with more protective gear rather than more authoritarian attitudes and weaponry.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Xander, Beorn liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I know you didn't want to bring in the 'debate', but if we're making world-wide laws, and it it were possible to enforce them, I'm surprised that you think gun ownership is the biggest problem on the planet.
    It's not but I wanted to try and have a discussion about gun control which didn't end up in a flame war.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

There's supposed to be a general trajectory towards a more civilised and civilising climate globally, ie declines in violence and violent crime, which has also included decline in desires to own fire arms or use fire arms too, although the US is world hegemon and this leads to US issues, such as gun controls being discussion topics in most of the english speaking world any any world which has contact with english speakers, and I would expect that to be a sort of counterbalance also.
    Likes Xander liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Anyhow, please discuss...where do we end up from where we are now?
    Hm, interesting topic!

I think the answer depends a lot on how we eventually arrive at this global community. A gradual and more-or-less peaceful process of increasing interdependence and decreasing logistical barriers to communication and trade? Gun control will probably be a hotly debated topic forever; kinda like the ongoing U.S. debate, but ten times more diverse and messier. A sudden and bloody unification under a conquering superpower? Get ready to hide those guns! (Except for citizens of the Motherland, naturally.)

Ultimately, no matter how global unification happens, no government wants true weapons of mass destruction to fall into civilian hands. Small concealable single-target auto-targetting death-lazers? Sure, maybe. Weapons that can take out entire buildings, cities, or even regions? You'd better believe that every government's going to keep a tight lid on those!

More than that though, it's tough to say.
    Likes Xander liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Hm, interesting topic!

I think the answer depends a lot on how we eventually arrive at this global community. A gradual and more-or-less peaceful process of increasing interdependence and decreasing logistical barriers to communication and trade? Gun control will probably be a hotly debated topic forever; kinda like the ongoing U.S. debate, but ten times more diverse and messier. A sudden and bloody unification under a conquering superpower? Get ready to hide those guns! (Except for citizens of the Motherland, naturally.)

Ultimately, no matter how global unification happens, no government wants true weapons of mass destruction to fall into civilian hands. Small concealable single-target auto-targetting death-lazers? Sure, maybe. Weapons that can take out entire buildings, cities, or even regions? You'd better believe that every government's going to keep a tight lid on those!

More than that though, it's tough to say.
    Don't you think that logically if a hand held "gun" becomes available which is capable of say taking out a police cruiser in one shot (reliably) that it would by necessity get banned from public ownership entirely due to the risk to the public service?

As for the global community thing, it would rely on just how much violence is around at that point. The interesting thing would be which side would soften first. Would the guns slowly get banned or would the nations currently banning them have to relent as they get more easily available?

I guess this ends up at the point of whether firearms do help keep crime down or increase it... Another hotbed of controversy!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Hm, good point. Weapons that can take out entire vehicles of people cops are plenty bad for business too. A government's gotta at least appear to be able to enforce law and order!

Anyhow, I think current wholesale gun bans will be loosened first, particularly if we assume that 3D printing becomes cheap and reliable by the time the world comes together. (Very likely.)

And something else to throw into the mix: Will we have a better handle on psychology by the time this happens? Will kids still be occasionally shooting up schools? Will the average citizen be just as [ir]responsible? Will anger management therapy be any more available to the average citizen? Will we perhaps even be chemically or genetically altering our emotions? These questions may be the most important factors in future gun control of all.