User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default Islamic State 'demolishes' ancient Hatra site in Iraq

I am not surprised to be the first to mention this on here.

BBC News - Islamic State 'demolishes' ancient Hatra site in Iraq

Nonetheless: ISIS have destroyed ancient history standing among us, in much the same way that the Taliban have done in the past. I fucking hate these motherfuckers They show how religion can blind somebody to what really matters, and the irony is that they're destroying monuments their own ancestors made. It is their own history that they're wiping out. I find that really sad, but it reminds me of something I noticed in Turkey.

The ancient, pre-Islamic sites don't receive a lot of attention, except the most famous ones, like Ephesus. As you can imagine, Christian churches fare even worse if they're not deemed suitable for a mosque.

Acts of vandalism are as old as humanity itself. I myself hate it when a piece of traditional architecture is bulldozed into the dirt to make way for cheap modern crap. But, you know, it's what happens.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Acts of vandalism are as old as humanity itself. I myself hate it when a piece of traditional architecture is bulldozed into the dirt to make way for cheap modern crap. But, you know, it's what happens.
    This isn't like...a 1930s house being demolished in favour of a more modern design.

This is a monument of massive historical significance that people have enjoyed and studied for a long time. Now they will never be able to again.

Yeah I got that. But vandalism of ancient monuments is still not a new thing nor particular to the islamic state. It's in very recent times that the communist Chinese government tried to wipe Tibetan culture off the planet. And just about every Western nation stole Egypt's cultural heritage in the past 100yrs. Acts of stupidity and ignorance are endemic to the human species. So what makes this one, something different? Given the political situation over there, this kind of thing is a no-brainer, it was only a question of when.

ISIS is a douche.

Whaaaaaaaat a pro-islamic group destroyed a non-islamic site??????

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I am not surprised to be the first to mention this on here.

BBC News - Islamic State 'demolishes' ancient Hatra site in Iraq

Nonetheless: ISIS have destroyed ancient history standing among us, in much the same way that the Taliban have done in the past. I fucking hate these motherfuckers They show how religion can blind somebody to what really matters, and the irony is that they're destroying monuments their own ancestors made. It is their own history that they're wiping out. I find that really sad, but it reminds me of something I noticed in Turkey.

The ancient, pre-Islamic sites don't receive a lot of attention, except the most famous ones, like Ephesus. As you can imagine, Christian churches fare even worse if they're not deemed suitable for a mosque.
    I dont its good that this has happened.

Although in the west people are more ambitious they abolish social institutions completely and not simply the art or monuments representing them.

Curious the ideological symmetry there, the methods are different though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Yeah I got that. But vandalism of ancient monuments is still not a new thing nor particular to the islamic state. It's in very recent times that the communist Chinese government tried to wipe Tibetan culture off the planet. And just about every Western nation stole Egypt's cultural heritage in the past 100yrs. Acts of stupidity and ignorance are endemic to the human species. So what makes this one, something different? Given the political situation over there, this kind of thing is a no-brainer, it was only a question of when.
    Why did communist China try to do that?

Was it because athiests are the most hated minority in humanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    This isn't like...a 1930s house being demolished in favour of a more modern design.

This is a monument of massive historical significance that people have enjoyed and studied for a long time. Now they will never be able to again.
    I just find it really curious how a western liberal could feel that way about the destruction of traditionalism in a foreign country but not be worried about or in fact positively encourage it on the home front.

Not targetting you particularly, you're post just allowed me to make that point.
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why did communist China try to do that?

Was it because athiests are the most hated minority in humanity?
    Probably the same reason why they tried to destroy Falun Gong and restrict the Internet. They don't like things which might cause people to think for themselves. Tibet is the centre of meditative practice and not giving a shit about material aspects of the world. I suppose it was easy pickings. Why do humans do any of these stupid things? Because they're humans.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I just find it really curious how a western liberal could feel that way about the destruction of traditionalism in a foreign country but not be worried about or in fact positively encourage it on the home front.
    It isn't so much changing values (abstractions) that concern me, but the destruction of concrete, physical things that can't be recreated later. I acknowledge the fluidity of ideas and don't believe the way people lived in the past is necessarily better than the way we do now. We should always encourage innovation.

Nonetheless, I see preserving ethnicity itself as no different to looking after a monument of cultural significance. It is your responsibility to future generations of people. I actually place the former higher, because while palaces can be rebuilt, a people once destroyed cannot be reborn.

Not targetting you particularly, you're post just allowed me to make that point.
    I know.