User Tag List

Default Piracy in the horn of africa

This morning I'm watching Captain Philips, which I did some reading about a while back, they depict the pirates in this movie as a lot less sophisticated than they actually are apparently, with boats and weapons which are much more primative than in reality.

One of the big things which I remember from what I read was that the actual pirates have access to RPGs and sniper rifles, usually old Russian weapons but they do the job, however, I always wondered if these weapons are available and procurable by the pirates why dont the crews and ships shipping in the area have them? Equally why arent there people employed as pirate hunters were the authorities have failed in the area? In the grand old tales of yore pirates would turn buccaneer in the poacher turned game keeper fashion all the time and make a trade that way, I know there was politics involved and most of the buccaneers were serving seperate, usually nationalistic, campaigns.

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I always wondered if these weapons are available and procurable by the pirates why dont the crews and ships shipping in the area have them?
    International shipping lines are using armed security guards.

Equally why arent there people employed as pirate hunters were the authorities have failed in the area?
    NATO has already deployed a fleet of ships for this purpose: Operation Ocean Shield
    Such an operation should never be contracted to a private organization, because they cannot possibly reach the same level of sophistication in terms of naval technology as Western national navies. This makes them more likely to make mistakes, while their private nature inherently means a lesser degree of operational transparency thus making accountability a major issue.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.