User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

It really depends. Dick Grayson was changed from your standard white boy to Romani in the '90s and that was a really smart move by Devin K. Grayson, and I still like to think that little alteration is still canon because it really did add to Dick's character.

On the other hand, there's Wally West. Wally was, like Dick, your standard white boy, but New 52 (and probably the TV show The Flash) changed Wally's race to black. That was a really stupid move. Most of Wally's character development in the comics hinged on his being a conservative white kid. Changing his race erases all that character development and adds nothing.

Ordinarily I'm all for white people getting swapped out for minorities, though. But people like Wally should stay white.

Re: comic book movies in general, I honestly don't see anything wrong with this wave of comic movies. I see it as its own subgenre, like westerns or romantic comedies. I know the wave probably won't last long (hopefully through 2020 to get to those DC films), but as a comic fan, I quite enjoy it.

Just as an FYI to some people in the thread: the movies really only loosely follow their comic counterparts (and some are nowhere near their comic counterparts like The Dark Knight). For the most part, the films are original stories. I'd also like to point out the companies are putting out very different films tonally. Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 aren't exactly alike.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Is the movie for entertainment or for reuniting humanity?

I'd posit the former,hence the latter is secondary.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Fans of any material adapted to movies will get miffed at something. "Oh, no! Harry Potter's eyes were green or whatever" Wasn't there also a lot of huffing and puffing because Daniel Craig as James Bond was a blond?

And if Wikipedia is to be believed, Nick Fury is a stupid looking white dude. Samuel L. Jackson is a better fit for the role than a stupid looking white dude, at least in the movie adaptations. In short, it worked. Screw it.
    This. I don't care how the roles are written originally, whatever works best. SLJ is a much better fit, imo. *He* is the best fit. Not that he is black or not white or anything else.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I'm satisfied with whatever works. I wouldn't care to see a black dude as a Norse god because it'd completely ruin my suspension of disbelief, not because it would ruin the integrity of some mythology or be 'inappropriate.' For those who are familiar with the Marvel universe, I suppose, they'd be decrying how SLJ ruined the integrity of a bunch of comics, too. I guess there are thresholds everywhere.
    I will call your bluff if a white man is cast as a traditionally black character, and the black community objects. After all, one has to be a good liberal.

That said, Jesus is almost universally played by the palest white guys on the planet. We've been bastardizing that guy's history for aeons now.
    To be honest, I wouldn't be offended by a black Jesus as much as I would a black James Bond, simply because according to Christians, Jesus is God and therefore universal. Human characters are not, and I am suspicious of the motives behind changing a character's race. "Appealing to minorities" is not a good reason; true artists are uninterested in political posturing.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I will call your bluff if a white man is cast as a traditionally black character, and the black community objects. After all, one has to be a good liberal.
    Haha, I don't even know what to say. I'm not a "good liberal"; I just like good movies and -- yet again -- I only care about what makes a good movie work.

My post was pretty matter of fact. Some white dude might do a good job as Stewart, the black Green Lantern. I don't care.

Go find a movie where some white dude plays a guy who's black. Call my bluff and see what happens. Who knows? I might get the opportunity to see a good movie.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post

To be honest, I wouldn't be offended by a black Jesus as much as I would a black James Bond, simply because according to Christians, Jesus is God and therefore universal. Human characters are not, and I am suspicious of the motives behind changing a character's race. "Appealing to minorities" is not a good reason; true artists are uninterested in political posturing.
    James Bond is white because the books were written in 1950. This is exactly what I said about superhero comics: Most of the heroes started in the gold and silver age and THAT is why they are white... black heroes wouldn't sell at the time. If they had been created now, they'd be a huge mix of races. So it's really not that important.

To white: He's a literary character who has been through a number of iterations already and thus has ceased to really be a "historical" literary character as you're assuming. Even the settings of his movie get more and more updated, rather than staying in the setting of the 1950's . If it were true to the literary source, Bond would currently be 94-95 years old according to his birth in 1920-21, and we should be watching him galavant around the world of the 1950-1960's. Instead, the stories are told and retold and created and recreated in modern times. And nowadays I'm sure they have black agents in the Secret Service, if they qualify for service.

So harping about Bond is ridiculous -- he's already not anchored in a particular time period, and thus he more embodies the nature of the constantly shifting times and changes to accommodate them. He's not a "fixed" character such as what you are alluding to.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Passacaglia, chickpea liked this post

I think people should make an attempt to sell non-whites as superheroes. If they write it well and the actors are good and famous it would sell. People might complain a bit but they'd get used to it.

However, for some reason I've noticed that the plots are mediocre when it comes to big budgeted Hollywood movies. It's as if they can't afford to spend another 100K on a better script after spending $100Mn on the rest of the movie. I just don't get it.

"We have 100K left. Should we use it on some script editors? No use it on someone jumping off a plane while smoking a cigar."

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    White people need to chill the eff out. Minorities have been deliberately excluded from superhero films (and mainstream film in general) since forever, so I don't want to hear bitching about it when they're deliberately included. I understand fanboys wanting actors to fulfil the physical description of a character as they imagined but there is an in-build tendency for people to see that character as white - it's a normative presumption. And there's something so messed up with people treating superhero 'genre' as the last bastion of white privilege in movies. It's time to wake up and live in the real world. Anyway, minorities need heroes too.

Not a superhero franchise (but pretty much is), but the rumour is that Idris Elba may be cast as the next Bond. The guy totally fulfils every James Bond quality so I don't see why his race should be a factor. I remember people making a fuss about Daniel Craig playing the part because they were horrified by the fact he's blond. I don't hear any complaints now. Everyone just needs to give themselves a chance to adjust to change.
    ^ all that being said, woah woah woah leave James Bond alone.

Also, Daniel Craig kinda sucks. He doesn't have sex appeal, no swag, no humour and definitely doesn't give a carefree live for the day ladies man vibe.

He would have been an ideal Bond, if bond was meant to be more Stoic and characteristically ignores his erections and at all costs. And if Bond's primary sex appeal is going on murder rampages.

Maybe he would be a better Putin impersonator.

Thank you Daniel Craig for fucking Bond with your boring vibe.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be awesome to see a black superman.

Are there any good examples of minorities playing famous characters who were meant to be white?

If I could change anything about superheroes, I would cut their chronologies a loooooot shorter. Batman started in the 30s and you have to keep up with decades and decades and decades of cartoons, comics, and movies just to get a general impression of what the hell is going on.

It's a "drug-mentality" of entertainment; the average person doesn't have the time to keep up with that bullshit, they want to walk into a comic shop, by a couple issues, and walk out. It would be a lot more satisfying, in my opinion, if superheroes had shorter, more independent lifespans -- a simple comic with a set amount of issues, a show with a set amount of episodes, programmed to be born, live a little, and die, before moving on to the next hero and his own completely independent separate epic.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Also, Daniel Craig kinda sucks. He doesn't have sex appeal, no swag, no humour and definitely doesn't give a carefree live for the day ladies man vibe.
    Speak for yourself.
    I think he's hot.

But you're straight, right? Of course you wouldn't find him attractive.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft