User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Best. Episode. Evah.
    It anchored me as a huge fan of the show.
    (I think it was very climactic in terms of character dev.)
    Haha, yeah it wasn't a terrible end for that character.

I think I just didn't want to see Michelle Rodriquez leave the show.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I really don't care what race these characters are, so it's fine by me if they change it around, and I don't see anything to complain about.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I really don't care what race these characters are, so it's fine by me if they change it around, and I don't see anything to complain about.
    I think its discriminatory the lack of Irish superheroes.

I dont count Banshee as he is a racist stereotype and also a douche.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I remember people making a fuss about Daniel Craig playing the part because they were horrified by the fact he's blond. I don't hear any complaints now.
    You, my friend, need to listen harder. For some reason, people don't think he's "playing Bond right", whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    2. I thought Michelle Rodriguez was a minority.
    Oh, yeah... Rodriguez is a Hispanic name...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Never seen Lost? You're dead to me.

Dead, dead I say!

I think I missed out on a lot by never having read comic books, 'cause all I know about supers comes from movies. I certainly have no idea what newer or off-off-mainstream comics exist.
    Fortunately, like books, comics don't age. D.C. also has a habit of rebooting entire series of superheroes, so you don't have to trudge through 100 years of garbage to fall in love with a character. Like American Horror Story where every season is a whole new set up, the timelines on comic books are such a way to where you can start at issue 1 of a newer time frame and you won't miss out on a majority of the stuff. You'll get a vague idea of what you missed in the past and what simply is to come in future comics.. and wikipages can fill in your gaps and questions quite quickly from there.

But tons of comics.. Sex Criminals (although R/X rated is really really awesome premise wise and story wise), Fathom, Tomb Raider and Witchblade (though witchblade is quite long, they have two convenient larger 'books' of all the comics 1-50 printed into two nice volumes.. Witchblade had a short-lived stint as a TV show, but it does better just as a comic), Meridian, Lady Pendragon, California Out There, there are a ton of smaller comics all over the place with great people and storylines. Hell, Aspen (the main character of Fathom) is pretty much a superhero. With some cross overs from Witchblade and Tomb Raider in one story arc, it'd be nerdy, awesome, and new all at once.

Hm, maybe I just don't think about this sort of thing like most people do. I do agree that films about an as-yet unfilmed supers would be awesome-sauce. And I guess I can see how a fan would get a 'We're only making PP black because of diversity demands' vibe; if someone announced a remake of the Lord of the Rings with all black hobbits I'd probably bat an eye several times. But in the end, I'd watch it all the same, and I don't think it'd be an issue for me.
    It doesn't get to me in.. say.. the "I won't watch this because he's black" way. I don't really care about that aspect of it. But it does get to me in an overall.. just.. acknowledging laziness for what it is. I don't think people should hide behind social movements and do the bare minimum they're being pushed towards and that's it and then criticize anyone calling them out for their shenanigans as being just that. Embrace diversity, and go that route, or at least have the balls to admit you're not really keen on showing black people as super heroes for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think its discriminatory the lack of Irish superheroes.

I dont count Banshee as he is a racist stereotype and also a douche.
    Unfortunately, a lot of stereotypes of all sorts show up in comics, particularly older ones. We're seeing a massive movement in the writing styles though into more modern ideas.. the comics ARE slowly changing with the times.. crotchety-fans or not. So if it makes you feel any better..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Fortunately, like books, comics don't age. D.C. also has a habit of rebooting entire series of superheroes, so you don't have to trudge through 100 years of garbage to fall in love with a character. Like American Horror Story where every season is a whole new set up, the timelines on comic books are such a way to where you can start at issue 1 of a newer time frame and you won't miss out on a majority of the stuff. You'll get a vague idea of what you missed in the past and what simply is to come in future comics.. and wikipages can fill in your gaps and questions quite quickly from there.

But tons of comics.. Sex Criminals (although R/X rated is really really awesome premise wise and story wise), Fathom, Tomb Raider and Witchblade (though witchblade is quite long, they have two convenient larger 'books' of all the comics 1-50 printed into two nice volumes.. Witchblade had a short-lived stint as a TV show, but it does better just as a comic), Meridian, Lady Pendragon, California Out There, there are a ton of smaller comics all over the place with great people and storylines. Hell, Aspen (the main character of Fathom) is pretty much a superhero. With some cross overs from Witchblade and Tomb Raider in one story arc, it'd be nerdy, awesome, and new all at once.

It doesn't get to me in.. say.. the "I won't watch this because he's black" way. I don't really care about that aspect of it. But it does get to me in an overall.. just.. acknowledging laziness for what it is. I don't think people should hide behind social movements and do the bare minimum they're being pushed towards and that's it and then criticize anyone calling them out for their shenanigans as being just that. Embrace diversity, and go that route, or at least have the balls to admit you're not really keen on showing black people as super heroes for some reason.

Unfortunately, a lot of stereotypes of all sorts show up in comics, particularly older ones. We're seeing a massive movement in the writing styles though into more modern ideas.. the comics ARE slowly changing with the times.. crotchety-fans or not. So if it makes you feel any better..
    I was kidding.

I think The Punisher is a good Irish character (I know the modern incarnation is meant to be Italian)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Fans of any material adapted to movies will get miffed at something. "Oh, no! Harry Potter's eyes were green or whatever" Wasn't there also a lot of huffing and puffing because Daniel Craig as James Bond was a blond?
    James Bond, for example, is a British character (actually Scottish). Thor is a Norse god. It therefore makes no sense for either of these characters to be played by a black man; in the latter case it verges on disrespectful. I agree that superficially, there is more flexibility in the superhero genre. But anybody committed to art should oppose tampering with characters just to score a few political points.

I understand that minorities feel upset that they are underrepresented in film, but the impression I am getting is that instead of investing the time into creating new idols with a clear black/Latino/whatever identity, they simply want to steal characters that have previously been portrayed as white. That is lazy and contemptible.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Also, please bear in mind that race comprises a lot more than hair colour. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to point this out to ignorant people here.

And if Wikipedia is to be believed, Nick Fury is a stupid looking white dude. Samuel L. Jackson is a better fit for the role than a stupid looking white dude, at least in the movie adaptations. In short, it worked. Screw it.
    That's just your opinion. It is still a contextually inappropriate casting if the character he was playing is known to not be black (or vice versa - I know many blacks would be offended if a white man played a black character). The reason there are few major black characters is also not because of racism, but because there are far fewer few black writers and directors than there are white ones. A man crafts a character in his own image. The most likely way diversity will be fostered in entertainment is if more minorities become involved in the creative process.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I liked Black Panther and Power Man/Luke Cage both, I always thought it funny that the later had the double barrel name like you dont get Batman/Bruce Wayne and I couldnt tell you what the hell Dare Devil's real identity even is, anyway, I thought there was never any PR problems with either of them.

In JLA unlimited the TV series, maybe even the regular JLA or it may have been the DC animated movies, I liked the depictions of the black nationalist kingdom/country which black panther hails from/represents and rules over. I even liked the whole transforming into a panther and tearing his adversaries apart bit.

The screen adaptation of Steel with Shaq in the lead role was surely more embarrassing.
    The pr problem I was referring to was more around assumed links with this
    Black Panther Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I was kidding.

I think The Punisher is a good Irish character (I know the modern incarnation is meant to be Italian)
    Well, it seemed legit enough.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    James Bond, for example, is a British character (actually Scottish). Thor is a Norse god. It therefore makes no sense for either of these characters to be played by a black man; in the latter case it verges on disrespectful. I agree that superficially, there is more flexibility in the superhero genre. But anybody committed to art should oppose tampering with characters just to score a few political points.

That's just your opinion. It is still a contextually inappropriate casting if the character he was playing is known to not be black (or vice versa - I know many blacks would be offended if a white man played a black character).
    I'm satisfied with whatever works. I wouldn't care to see a black dude as a Norse god because it'd completely ruin my suspension of disbelief, not because it would ruin the integrity of some mythology or be 'inappropriate.' For those who are familiar with the Marvel universe, I suppose, they'd be decrying how SLJ ruined the integrity of a bunch of comics, too. I guess there are thresholds everywhere.

That said, Jesus is almost universally played by the palest white guys on the planet. We've been bastardizing that guy's history for aeons now.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post