User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default Unmasking of Jihadi John

    BBC News - 'Jihadi John' named as Mohammed Emwazi from London

    I wonder what the implications of the unmasking of so called "Jihadi John" are? What do you guess?

    I know that when Mossad decided to avenge the deaths of Israeli athletes they went biblical and killed the kinfolk of the killers and anyone remotely connected with the atrocity.

    That's unlikely to happen but do you think this guy's card is marked? Is he a cause celebre like Bin Laden now and do you think the desired outcome of the American kin is likely? That is that he will be captured put on trial in the US and incarcerated for the remainder of his life in solitary in a maximum security prison?

    What do you think about the islamic pundits in the UK who are saying repeatedly that he was a nice guy?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,742

    Default

    I don't think it changes anything. It's not like the intelligence community didn't know his name. Why does it matter that we or anyone in the west, knows his name? Anyone planning to go over to Syria and confront him about it?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #3
    Lost in the Multiverse Bknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    203

    Default

    It's stupid that they released the info to the public. If we hadn't, then we would have had an enormous advantage over them: we know what they wouldn't think we know. Now, he's just gonna go into hiding.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    DEUS
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I don't think it changes anything. It's not like the intelligence community didn't know his name. Why does it matter that we or anyone in the west, knows his name? Anyone planning to go over to Syria and confront him about it?
    The personal history of a homegrown terrorist is a vital piece of information when we are trying to gain an understanding of the various radicalization processes, as well as what political/legal designs that might be able to dismantle these.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

    ‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bknight View Post
    It's stupid that they released the info to the public. If we hadn't, then we would have had an enormous advantage over them: we know what they wouldn't think we know. Now, he's just gonna go into hiding.
    Do you think he is still alive?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The personal history of a homegrown terrorist is a vital piece of information when we are trying to gain an understanding of the various radicalization processes, as well as what political/legal designs that might be able to dismantle these.
    I think the social attitudes towards him and his radicalisation have been illuminating.

    The community he was part of doesnt seem to want to engage in that much self-examination, simply portray him as a good guy, suggest that it had to be something the authorities did to him or provoked.

    That's dangerous, if they dont want more of their young people to desert their families and communities and go join death cults like this young man did they'd do well to adopt a different point of view about it.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think the social attitudes towards him and his radicalisation have been illuminating.

    The community he was part of doesnt seem to want to engage in that much self-examination, simply portray him as a good guy, suggest that it had to be something the authorities did to him or provoked.

    That's dangerous, if they dont want more of their young people to desert their families and communities and go join death cults like this young man did they'd do well to adopt a different point of view about it.
    Why does it surprise you? Many lend implicit support to ISIS, even if they wouldn't go out and kill infidels themselves.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Why does it surprise you? Many lend implicit support to ISIS, even if they wouldn't go out and kill infidels themselves.
    I think that a lot of western political muslims dont really know much about what is going on or are deeply in denial about it, I think about the role of roman catholicism within the irish troubles and it was much different but the CIA world manual defined for a long time the IRA, even the Provisional IRA, as wanting to impose a "catholic ideology", certainly a lot of protestants I've known have conceived of the irish troubles as a struggle between themselves, or even secularism, with political catholicism, so I'm very, very cautious about any generalisations of a similar sort about islam. They could be equally false.

    The ideology of Devalera (spelling) at the time of the free state and partition was, arguably, a kind of catholic ideology, similar in some respects but predating and therefore not the same as Franco's Spain, although there's a lot of evidence to suggest that while it would have been unwelcome at home the UK supported "fascism in other countries", like the communist "fellow travellers" supported "communism abroad", like Franco and even supported some fascist bombings in Italy as a strategy of tension when it looked like the communist party with the support of unions and socialists was going to seize power in the seventies or eighties (that's comparative recent history to me).

    There are arab and even political islamic oppositions to ISIS though, they call it "dash", or at least its pronounced that way, the Syrians hate them, they ordered airstrikes when their pilot was murdered with fire, they are also annoyed about Christians being kidnapped and murdered or enslaved en masse, no one is really talking about the likely fate of male hostages being turned into ennuchs to work in the revived harems of these ISIS assholes but its happening too and makes them unpopular in the Islamic world too.

  9. #9
    Lost in the Multiverse Bknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think he is still alive?
    Yep. Why?

Similar Threads

  1. "Weapons of Choice" by John Birmingham
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM
  2. John Bradshaw, Author of Homecoming, dies at 82
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 10:38 AM
  3. MBTI of John Green books
    By wolfnara in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
  4. John Rzeznik (Singer/Guitar player of the Goo Goo Dolls)
    By swordpath in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
  5. St. John of the Cross - INFJ?
    By Sniffles in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO