User Tag List

Default Duties of Candor and Duties of reporting?

What do you think about the conclusions of some of the investigations into the celebrity Jimmy Saville, who it has been discovered had sexually abused and raped about 200 people in hospitals and care facilities during his career as a public figure, receiving royal, government and charitable awards and recognition, that the junior and senior staff should have been subject to a legal duty of candor and duty of reporting?

No one will be legally sanctioned who is presently or was working in those facilities and who had any suspiscions or received any definite reports from victims. If a legal duty was created then anyone proven to have deliberately neglected or deliberately avoided progressing investigations or engaged in hindering them would be subject to prosecution.

On the one hand I am very disappointed that there would need to be a sanction, that the moral duty is insufficient to provoke action, there are more cowards and jellyfish than I thought, but on the other I kind of wonder why there wasnt something like it already.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm not sure of the legal aspects behind this... laws present then vs now and whatnot. I know that in our hospital system there is a definite, no question obligation to report any suspected abuse.. whether someone reported it to them or it is suspected on their own.

All I can say is that's far too many people in far too long. Lance Armstrong did some drugs to himself and got titles and rights stripped away. I'd imagine jail, fines, stripping, and worse for someone who did bad things to others.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm not sure of the legal aspects behind this... laws present then vs now and whatnot. I know that in our hospital system there is a definite, no question obligation to report any suspected abuse.. whether someone reported it to them or it is suspected on their own.

All I can say is that's far too many people in far too long. Lance Armstrong did some drugs to himself and got titles and rights stripped away. I'd imagine jail, fines, stripping, and worse for someone who did bad things to others.
    The revelations as they have unfolded everyone suspects have only done so because they guy is now dead. Its inexplicable as to why he and his estate were protected until such time as he was deceased considering what he did.

There is a popular satirical TV news show on which he was invited as a contestant which they had to heavily edit because he started to make jokes about his history of abuse in girls boarding schools and care homes, he had obviously just totally forgot himself or he simply didnt care, in any case it was unbelieveable but he couldnt have succeeded in acting as he did all by himself.

I dont even mean a conspiracy, I just mean social attitudes which were highly tolerant of the sorts of things that money and celebrity status appears to have permitted.

Its easily in the same order of magnitude as any of the clerical abuse scandals.

One of the mad things about it though is that there are a lot of people writing reports into this who are concluding that this sort of thing is just as likely today as it was then.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The revelations as they have unfolded everyone suspects have only done so because they guy is now dead. Its inexplicable as to why he and his estate were protected until such time as he was deceased considering what he did.

There is a popular satirical TV news show on which he was invited as a contestant which they had to heavily edit because he started to make jokes about his history of abuse in girls boarding schools and care homes, he had obviously just totally forgot himself or he simply didnt care, in any case it was unbelieveable but he couldnt have succeeded in acting as he did all by himself.

I dont even mean a conspiracy, I just mean social attitudes which were highly tolerant of the sorts of things that money and celebrity status appears to have permitted.

Its easily in the same order of magnitude as any of the clerical abuse scandals.

One of the mad things about it though is that there are a lot of people writing reports into this who are concluding that this sort of thing is just as likely today as it was then.
    Bill Crosby is a great example of today. 35 women have come forward, and people are only now going 'Hmm.. maybe he isn't the cool guy we really wanted him to be.'

Society is, unfortunately, far more tolerant of the rich, prestigious, and famous than they ever will be of the poor, disadvantaged, and nameless. Homeless Joe on the corner can be arrested and called a monster.. Bill Crosby still has people thinking those women lied to destroy his career somehow? after it's well past its prime?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Bill Crosby is a great example of today. 35 women have come forward, and people are only now going 'Hmm.. maybe he isn't the cool guy we really wanted him to be.'

Society is, unfortunately, far more tolerant of the rich, prestigious, and famous than they ever will be of the poor, disadvantaged, and nameless. Homeless Joe on the corner can be arrested and called a monster.. Bill Crosby still has people thinking those women lied to destroy his career somehow? after it's well past its prime?
    Crosby is an excellent US equivalent.

There's a lot in common to each case, only Saville was much more prolific and did not discriminate in terms of male, female, adults or children.

There's strange things afoot though, it would appear that there are lots of members of the establishment, beyond celebrities, in the UK including political elites and others who engaged in organised abuse of children, maybe even murder.

One of the historical abuse enquires is mired in disagreement following the establishment's attempt to appoint one of its own and that being roundly rejected but there are major and, I've got to say, very persuasive legal elements coming out to challenge it all with populist conservative rhetoric about victims and victim mentality.

Today one of the former victims of a clerical abuse scandal came out and said that they believed among the legitimate claims there were others out for money and questioned whether compensation should come into it at all.

So I think now that its a full blown secular scandal and not limited to clerical or religious quarters efforts are slowly being made to manage and form opinions which could result in a lot of historic offenders getting away scot free. Possibly even opinions being formed on the back of this all for years to come about abuse and sexual violence against adults and children.