User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default I think the bogey of the "caring sadist" is real.

BBC News - Care worker Melissa Swift admits 'bleach' murder attempt

I think this kind of thing is more common than people would like to imagine.

There's problems with the conflating of care and control in the minds of people who already have problems with relating to others, I think the bogey of the "caring sadist" is real.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    BBC News - Care worker Melissa Swift admits 'bleach' murder attempt

I think this kind of thing is more common than people would like to imagine.

There's problems with the conflating of care and control in the minds of people who already have problems with relating to others, I think the bogey of the "caring sadist" is real.
    I thought this thread was going to be about 50 Shades of Grey.

I've never even heard of the bogey of the "caring sadist." Could you expand on what you're referring to?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about 50 Shades of Grey.

I've never even heard of the bogey of the "caring sadist." Could you expand on what you're referring to?
    There's been a whole raft of people in the UK who were in caring professions and killed people.

Harold Shipman is probably the most prolific, no one knows exactly how many he killed, not even he did, but he was a GP and administered fatal dosages of morphine and other medication to kill his patients, frequently the elderly whom he wrote the death certs for anyway. He killed himself in prison too.

There was, although I dont know if its ongoing, an incident of poisoning with insulin in a care home in mainland UK, staff and residents, who the nurse administered it to through drip feeds. Not quite sure what happened there but one person was accused and later acquitted while another was found guilty.

Dont know if its the same case but there was another which involved insulin shock deaths and some of the jury have now said they are unsure about the guilty verdicts they passed as the time in light of new medical evidence.

The abuse of insulin wouldnt surprise me because its not too far removed from the abuse of patients or residents through neglect, like the famous reclining chairs which residents were trapped in and left for the duration of shifts. Insulin could be used to induce comatose or near comatose states.

This case was poisoning with bleach and bares a lot of the traditional hall marks of poisoners, apparently its a crime more likely to be engaged in by women than men, although one or two of the most famous and earliest cases in Victorian britain were cook pharmacists or doctors poisoning women.

There's some authors I've read, mainly psychoanalsts, and I remember a series of small books published on psychoanalytical ideas, including castration, eros, the unconscious, guilt, shame, sado-masochism etc. which all suggested correlations between care and control in the mind of sadists and therefore their being drawn to things like nursing or social care because the fates of vulnerable people lay in their hands.

One flew over the cuckoos nest has a couple of examples, the orderly who just wants to get into it with Mad Murphy or the nurse who decides on Murphy's indefinite detention and exercises such a control over all the voluntary patients that they never want to leave the institution or break from routines. Although literary references.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

There's some authors I've read, mainly psychoanalsts, and I remember a series of small books published on psychoanalytical ideas, including castration, eros, the unconscious, guilt, shame, sado-masochism etc. which all suggested correlations between care and control in the mind of sadists and therefore their being drawn to things like nursing or social care because the fates of vulnerable people lay in their hands.

One flew over the cuckoos nest has a couple of examples, the orderly who just wants to get into it with Mad Murphy or the nurse who decides on Murphy's indefinite detention and exercises such a control over all the voluntary patients that they never want to leave the institution or break from routines. Although literary references.

Oh...

Well, I'd say a good example of this kind of thing would be the ridiculously authoritarian teachers we've all run up against in elementary school. I'm not talking about the ones who grade harshly or are strict with academic performance; I mean the ones who have a lot of little rules that don't make any sense. It's probably a milder example of the same phenomenon.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Oh...

Well, I'd say a good example of this kind of thing would be the ridiculously authoritarian teachers we've all run up against in elementary school. I'm not talking about the ones who grade harshly or are strict with academic performance; I mean the ones who have a lot of little rules that don't make any sense. It's probably a milder example of the same phenomenon.
    I would agree with that.

The teaching profession sure seems to attract the fascists.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Nurse Ratched? Hillary Clinton always reminds me of her; something about the eyes.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post