User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 205

  1. #1
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default Judge Says Conversion Therapy is Consumer fraud

    https://news.vice.com/article/judge-...reaking-ruling


    we've known for decades it doesn't work nor should it, so its a bit sad that its taken this long for steps to be taken to make it illegal. The practices should've been shut down when dsm decided homosexuality was no longer a disorder back in the 70s it's now 35 years later. I guess better late then never
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Hard liked this post

  2. #2
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    I find it odd that it's being called consumer fraud. I mean, it is, but because I sincerely doubt any of these people who offer such "therapy" set out with the goal of extorting money out of people. Either way, it's another step to getting rid of this practice for good.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I find it odd that it's being called consumer fraud. I mean, it is, but because I sincerely doubt any of these people who offer such "therapy" set out with the goal of extorting money out of people. Either way, it's another step to getting rid of this practice for good.
    I keep liking this but when I come back the like is gone. I'm getting annoyed

    I didn't think it was a real thing when I was in highschool well i knew it was real i didn't think it was still around until one of my friends got to sent to such a camp by his very religious preacher father. One day he wasn't in school, and i never saw him again. I've friended him on facebook since and he's still gay so clearly yeah doesn't work. but I don't know the details because after that he lost touch with pretty much everyone.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I find it odd that it's being called consumer fraud. I mean, it is, but because I sincerely doubt any of these people who offer such "therapy" set out with the goal of extorting money out of people. Either way, it's another step to getting rid of this practice for good.
    It's almost like they want to get rid of it but want to do it without offending these "therapists" and what they set out to do. I don't think they set out to extort money. I do think they set out to do something impossible and knowingly caused extensive damage where there was none.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I find it odd that it's being called consumer fraud. I mean, it is, but because I sincerely doubt any of these people who offer such "therapy" set out with the goal of extorting money out of people. Either way, it's another step to getting rid of this practice for good.
    It's almost like they want to get rid of it but want to do it without offending these "therapists" and what they set out to do. I don't think they set out to extort money. I do think they set out to do something impossible and knowingly caused extensive damage where there was none.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I find it odd that it's being called consumer fraud. I mean, it is, but because I sincerely doubt any of these people who offer such "therapy" set out with the goal of extorting money out of people. Either way, it's another step to getting rid of this practice for good.
    It's almost like they want to get rid of it but want to do it without offending these "therapists" and what they set out to do. I don't think they set out to extort money. I do think they set out to do something impossible and knowingly caused extensive damage where there was none.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #5
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    People should be allowed to be set straight, if they so choose. Does this mean insurance will not pay for it, since they cannot call it a disorder?

    People can convert. People become gay oftentimes because of issues that happen to them in childhood; from deep seated issues with the parent of the same gender, or from trauma occurring from the opposite gender. Furthermore, the Bible prohibits men from sleeping with each other, and God clearly made one woman for each man. I think it's also intensely interesting when man decides he knows more than God about these things, when God is the One who created man.

    Of course, tolerance for everyone's choice is how we should live, but that goes for those who do not want to be gay, and seek out help to fix it in themselves.

    Isn't this reverse discrimination?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #6
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    People should be allowed to be set straight, if they so choose. Does this mean insurance will not pay for it, since they cannot call it a disorder?

    People can convert. People become gay oftentimes because of issues that happen to them in childhood; from deep seated issues with the parent of the same gender, or from trauma occurring from the opposite gender. Furthermore, the Bible prohibits men from sleeping with each other, and God clearly made one woman for each man. I think it's also intensely interesting when man decides he knows more than God about these things, when God is the One who created man.

    Of course, tolerance for everyone's choice is how we should live, but that goes for those who do not want to be gay, and seek out help to fix it in themselves.

    Isn't this reverse discrimination?
    no, because being gay isn't harmful in itself the shame that certain sects of society puts on one for being gay is. and this just seems to be shaming the person for like the same sex.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Hard liked this post

  7. #7
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    no, because being gay isn't harmful in itself the shame that certain sects of society puts on one for being gay is. and this just seems to be shaming the person for like the same sex.
    Anything that is a sin is harmful, silly.

    How is therapy shaming? They will just have to go to regular therapy and bill it as normal mental health services, I suppose. They might have been fraudulent in the way that they were conducting the therapy, I don't know enough about it. But conversion therapy, meaning therapy to convert someone who already identifies a certain way, is a good thing, for those who want it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #8
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Anything that is a sin is harmful, silly.

    How is therapy shaming? They will just have to go to regular therapy and bill it as normal mental health services, I suppose. They might have been fraudulent in the way that they were conducting the therapy, I don't know enough about it. But conversion therapy, meaning therapy to convert someone who already identifies a certain way, is a good thing, for those who want it.
    The world does not regard sin like you do. You can't use that as a basis for what is harmful or not. Further, it is religiously influenced, and therefore isn't rational.

    Being gay isn't harmful. Period, end of story. There is no debate on this matter. Where as, conversion therapy has been thouroughly proven to be harmful.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I already posted about this in my blog. I also have a link to the judge's decree rejecting JONAH's "experts" and why in this case their testimony was irrelevant to this particular case.

    In any case, The major professional psychological orgs decided that homosexuality does not fit the classification of a disorder, so any group insisting on treatment of it as such is misleading its clients.

    The company lured people into the treatment — which cost $100 per weekly individual session and another $60 per weekly group session — on the false claim that homosexuality was an illness, four former clients claim in the lawsuit.

    Judge Peter Bariso said any company that labels being gay a disorder is committing fraud. He also refused to hear the testimony of conversion therapy "experts" wishing to defend JONAH, saying the field is junk science.
    Basically the case was on the basis of false advertising, but a lot of the "expert testimony" focused on whether being gay was a disorder AND Wasn't relevant, Nor Did the expert testimony Support Current professional consensus.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default

    5 Things You Should Know About Gay Conversion Therapy

    3. Why psychologists say conversion therapy doesn't work

    Homosexuality is not considered a mental disorder, so the American Psychological Association (APA) does not recommend "curing" same-sex attraction in any case. Instead, societal ignorance, prejudice and pressure to conform to heterosexual desires are the real dangers to gay people's mental health, according to a 1997 statement on "conversion" or "reparative" therapy by the APA.

    A 2009 APA task force found that conversion therapies, despite being touted by religious organizations, have little evidence to back them up. A review of studies from 1960 to 2007 found only 83 on the topic, the vast majority of which did not have the experimental muscle to show whether the therapies achieved their stated goals. (Many of the people studied in the early years were court-mandated to take the therapies, adding a coercive element to those outcomes.)

    The best-quality studies were more recent and qualitative, the APA task force found, meaning they focused not on the statistical effectiveness of treatment, but of the subjective experience.

    "These studies show that enduring change to an individual's sexual orientation is uncommon," the task force wrote in their 2009 report. The participants continued to report same-sex attractions after the conversion therapy, and were not significantly more attracted to the opposite gender.

    These studies did find that conversion therapy could be harmful, however. Negative effects included "loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality and anxiety."
    5. Okay, but what about that one study that found conversion therapies work?

    Groups that promote conversion therapy often point to a single study to support their work. In 2003, famed psychiatrist Robert Spitzer, who spearheaded the removal of homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's mental disorder list in 1973, reported in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior that interviews with conversion therapy patients suggested that some people could change their sexual orientation.

    The paper was incendiary and highly criticized, given that it relied on interviews with patients instead of measurable benchmarks of same-sex desires. Conservative groups were delighted to have support from Spitzer, who wasn't tainted with religious bias or anti-gay ideology; gay organizations felt betrayed.

    In the end, however, Spitzer came to agree with his critics. There was no way to confirm that what his interviewees said was true, he wrote in 2012 to the editor of the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior. The study, he said, was fatally flawed.

    "I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy," Spitzer wrote.
    hah! even the one study people who support conversion therapy the head of it said the study itself was flawed


    Facts About Changing Sexual Orientation
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Hard liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 10:49 PM
  2. Denmark's prime minister says Bernie Sanders is wrong to call his country socialist
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
  3. all scans says my computer is clean
    By prplchknz in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  4. What type would you say this guy is?
    By Samvega in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO