User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 205

  1. #11
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The world does not regard sin like you do. You can't use that as a basis for what is harmful or not. Further, it is religiously influenced, and therefore isn't rational.
    Much of the world does though. It is just as valid (or more so because it has stood the test of time and is still a useful guidebook at the least) as man determining what is harmful or not. Spiritually influenced or worldly influenced. Take your pick. I have a right to choose mine.

    Being gay isn't harmful. Period, end of story. There is no debate on this matter. Where as, conversion therapy has been thouroughly proven to be harmful.
    I assert it can be harmful. Not only for the person who is feeling gay who does not want to feel gay, and for his loved ones. There is untold trauma and neglect that can be caused by males being gay. I have already addressed it somewhere else.


    The fact is, if you have a right to assert it is not wrong, I have a right to assert it is. There is nothing that makes you more 'correct' in your assertion, despite the political climate of the day.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  2. #12
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I already posted about this in my blog. I also have a link to the judge's decree rejecting JONAH's "experts" and why in this case their testimony was irrelevant to this particular case.


    The major professional psychological orgs decided that homosexuality does not fit the classification of a disorder, so any group insisting on treatment of it as such is misleading its clients.
    you did? I missed it, I'm sorry.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  3. #13
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Much of the world does though. It is just as valid (or more so because it has stood the test of time and is still a useful guidebook at the least) as man determining what is harmful or not. Spiritually influenced or worldly influenced. Take your pick. I have a right to choose mine.
    It doesn't make you right though.

    No. It's not. Things must be taken in modern contexts because it is the modern world. If you want to talk about the harmfulness of actions and ways of being, you must do so outside of a religious context. I.E. sin can not be used as a deciding factor for what is harmful or not. It doesn't matter how many people regard it, what matters is if it's rationally sound. It's not. Religion is fine for individual ways of being, but it absolutely can not be extended beyond the self.


    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I assert it can be harmful. Not only for the person who is feeling gay who does not want to feel gay, and for his loved ones. There is untold trauma and neglect that can be caused by males being gay. I have already addressed it somewhere else.
    I should be clear then: being gay does not cause internal harm. Any harm that comes from being gay is because of others and the external world. When I say harm, I am refering to the mere fact of existing. It's not a disease or an ailment. The reason it causes harm is because other people deem it bad unfairly, and it causes strife.


    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    The fact is, if you have a right to assert it is not wrong, I have a right to assert it is. There is nothing that makes you more 'correct' in your assertion, despite the political climate of the day.
    It doesn't make you right to say that, and I am TELLING you that you are wrong. I have argued this with people over the years, and seen quite a few myself. There is not a single rational argument, at all, period, for asserting that being gay is wrong or harmful (on an internal level). You will be completely unable to come up with one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  4. #14
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    As a libertarian, I fully support the right of people to engaqe in questionable practices for profit. I think it is a fraud, but I don't think it's the government's role to define it as fraud. Let popular opinion and review sites like Yelp! help people make informed decisions.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  5. #15
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    As a libertarian, I fully support the right of people to engaqe in questionable practices for profit. I think it is a fraud, but I don't think it's the government's role to define it as fraud. Let popular opinion and review sites like Yelp! help people make informed decisions.
    I am being completely honest when I say this: This (and the rest of your views put together) doesn't sound like libertarianism, it sounds like anarchy.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes ReadingRainbows liked this post

  6. #16
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard
    I am being completely honest when I say this: This (and the rest of your views put together) doesn't sound like libertarianism, it sounds like anarchy.
    It's a balance to be sure and that balance is defined by the US Constitution. Libertarians don't believe the government has the wisdom to perform most of the functions it currently assumes. This is why we see so much corruption, waste, and abuse. Limit the scope of government and there will automatically be less corruption and waste.

    Why do we need consumer protection laws at all? If a product is defective, people will hear about it from many sources like newspapers and that business will suffer as a result. The market will take care of bad business models.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  7. #17
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    It's a balance to be sure and that balance is defined by the US Constitution. Libertarians don't believe the government has the wisdom to perform most of the functions it currently assumes. This is why we see so much corruption, waste, and abuse. Limit the scope of government and there will automatically be less corruption and waste.

    Why do we need consumer protection laws at all? If a product is defective, people will hear about it from many sources like newspapers and that business will suffer as a result. The market will take care of bad business models.
    I don't want to derail the thread so this is all I am going to say on the matter:

    Because left unimpeded, as a bulk over time corporations (in particular larger more affulent ones) begin to shirk and abuse the consumer, and eventually set up a market that can't be broken to undo their poor business practices. The market does not always take care of itself. Further, people deserve some levels of protection.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes prplchknz, Flâneuse, ReadingRainbows liked this post

  8. #18
    is indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    What hot loads of shit this universe spawns
    Likes Hard, ReadingRainbows liked this post

  9. #19
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,774

    Default

    I imagine most corporations as kindergarteners now there's a reason you don't give a 6 year old free reign imagine a 6 year old with billions of dollars and power over us. sometime the government needs to put the corporation in time out (break it up, tell it that it needs to be fairer to the consumer(I guess either teacher or younger sibling)/other corporations (its class mates). I'm probably not doing this justice i'll come back when i don't feel like i'm underwater.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Hard, Bush Did 9/11, Z Buck McFate liked this post

  10. #20
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you did? I missed it, I'm sorry.
    Actually, you responded to it a number of times.

    It was a week or two ago or something. I reviewed the judge's decision to bar JONAH's "experts" testimony from the courtroom, except for the one expert whose testimony was actually relevant. But he threw out Nicolosi and the irrelevant NARTH guys.

    Basically for those commenting in this thread on the topic without having read what this particular case was actually about:

    JONAH had promised a particular outcome beyond what could be promised to its clients, and some of the treatments were emotionally damaging over the long term. So some of the patients were suing for a (1) refund for the treatments they had paid for and (2) payment for the additional treatments they had to undergo from OTHER therapists to help them get over the abuse they suffered at the hands of JONAH. That's all, and it sounds fair -- like a typical malpractice / false advertising case.

    The judge did toss one of the former patients off the case because it didn't seem like the guy actually suffered real emotional distress that needed to be compensated for, but left the others stay since their treatments had been more severe.


    EDIT: as far as "gay conversion therapies" go, personally if adults want to buy into that shit because of their personal views or religious beliefs, well, we let people peddle lots of stuff in this country with little validity. (Note the recent herbalism expose, where it seems like some of the major chains don't include or barely include any of the herbs they claim are in the supplements.) But there's a ton of advertising in the USA that is dubious in nature, and we already allow religious people to do things that might not be wise from a medical/mental health perspective. So whatever.

    But I'm really against kids being forced to go to "pray the gay away" camps by their parents. Parents can monitor their child's physical activity with partners regardless of sexual preference [iow, it shouldn't matter whether your kid is gay or straight, the parenting/monitoring is the same!]; but I consider it emotionally damaging and likely abusive to send a kid to that kind of program. A child can choose to enter a program like that when they are an adult. And I think that is the purpose of the CA law, when I read about it --kids can make that decision when they are legal adults, rather than having it forced on them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Passacaglia, Xander liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 10:49 PM
  2. Denmark's prime minister says Bernie Sanders is wrong to call his country socialist
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
  3. all scans says my computer is clean
    By prplchknz in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  4. What type would you say this guy is?
    By Samvega in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO