12 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Study Shows Heavy Adolescent Pot Use Permanently Lowers IQ

Study Shows Heavy Adolescent Pot Use Permanently Lowers IQ

Frequent pot smokers (even those who had given up marijuana) tended to have deficits in memory, concentration, and overall IQ. The reduction in IQ for those who smoked pot heavily prior to age 18 was most pronounced: an average of eight points. An eight point reduction in IQ is enough to have a significant, negative impact upon your life. To put it into context, consider that individuals with an IQ of 110 have an average net worth of $71,000 and individuals with an IQ of 120 have an average net worth of $128,000. It looks like smoking pot can lower your tax bracket.
    Only 8 IQ points. No big deal. That $57,000 net worth discrepancy is meaningless since we know that geniuses actually make less money than people who are merely highly intelligent (I read this somewhere but I don't remember where.).
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

There's been studies going into this for quite some time now, and it seems pretty consistent as far as the results go for what THC does to intelligence levels over long periods of time depending on the levels consumed, and the time periods when it is consumed. I think it's fair to say at this point (though it shouldn't be surprising) that marijuana should definitely be illegal to those under the age of 18, given this result. It won't stop it of course, but it could help restrict it some once it becomes legal over a broader area. I wonder if 21 is a more proper age, and I do lean in that direction. It's regarded that the human brain continues to develop up until around the age of 25.

I'm definitely in support of marijuana legalization (as I am with most drugs), but the notion and idea that it's some wonder drug that doesn't cause any harm is rediculous. We know less about it than is assumed (largely because it's illegal), and the illegality of it for many years has lead to the public focusing too much on the anecdotal positives, which aren't reliable across the board. On a research level that seems to be the case as well.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

good thing I didn't become a regular smoker until I was 18, although I doubt the extra 8 points would have helped me that much.
    Likes Evee liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    good thing I didn't become a regular smoker until I was 18, although I doubt the extra 8 points would have helped me that much.
    Me too.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I dont think its because pot itself, but really heavy smokers tend to be lazy and not use their heads all that much and i think thats the reason for lowering IQ. Personally my IQ haven changed(except few points up) since i started smoking weed when i was 14. Actually last time i did IQ test i was really stoned(and had 2 beers) and still got the same score.. However im not a heavy smoker, maybe like 2 days a week on average nowadays, but at one point i smoked over a year every day, but i didnt smoke much each day during the time.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Get everyone to use it and all our IQ's go back up.

This is true since IQ is measured against the average of your peers i.e. if everyone else except you suddenly got stupider, their IQ would be about the same but yours would increase even though you didn't actually get smarter.
    Likes Evee, Rasofy, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Get everyone to use it and all our IQ's go back up.

This is true since IQ is measured against the average of your peers i.e. if everyone else except you suddenly got stupider, their IQ would be about the same but yours would increase even though you didn't actually get smarter.
    That explains why some adolescents are so stupid.
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    There's been studies going into this for quite some time now, and it seems pretty consistent as far as the results go for what THC does to intelligence levels over long periods of time depending on the levels consumed, and the time periods when it is consumed. I think it's fair to say at this point (though it shouldn't be surprising) that marijuana should definitely be illegal to those under the age of 18, given this result. It won't stop it of course, but it could help restrict it some once it becomes legal over a broader area. I wonder if 21 is a more proper age, and I do lean in that direction. It's regarded that the human brain continues to develop up until around the age of 25.

I'm definitely in support of marijuana legalization (as I am with most drugs), but the notion and idea that it's some wonder drug that doesn't cause any harm is rediculous. We know less about it than is assumed (largely because it's illegal), and the illegality of it for many years has lead to the public focusing too much on the anecdotal positives, which aren't reliable across the board. On a research level that seems to be the case as well.
    Yeah I support the legalization, but I won't smoke it ever. The marijuana could be laced with other drugs and it has chemicals put into it. If it becomes legal then it should be natural.
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    Yeah I support the legalization, but I won't smoke it ever. The marijuana could be laced with other drugs and it has chemicals put into it. If it becomes legal then it should be natural.
    i think weed being laced with other drugs is very rare if it's not intentional (drugs are expensive), and apart from fertilizers, etc. it's all natural. maybe i'm a spoiled californian though. i've smoked weed i've watched grow from a tiny little baby plant :')
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    i think weed being laced with other drugs is very rare if it's not intentional (drugs are expensive), and apart from fertilizers, etc. it's all natural. maybe i'm a spoiled californian though. i've smoked weed i've watched grow from a tiny little baby plant :')
    Yeah a lot of smokers are picky enough about their weed to give the strains names, such as Acapulco Gold, or One Eyed Jamaican. Growers pride themselves on good weed. It's not like coke meth or heroin where people are extremely addicted and it benefits shady dealers to sell cut product. If weed is cut it'd probably just be cut with a lower quality weed.