User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Data on Global Warming is being Faked!!!!!!!!!

Report: Temperature Data Being Faked to Show Global Warming

A British journalist is questioning the method used to by scientists to calculate the earth's climate change, calling it "one of the greatest scientific scandals of all time."

Christopher Booker writes for Britain's The Telegraph that climate data from stations in South America have been adjusted since the 1950s to give the impression that the earth's temperature is rising more than the original data showed.

Booker cites Paul Homewood's Not a Lot of People Know That blog where Homewood compares raw data with adjusted temperatures to show the graph trend was reversed from a cooling trend to a warming one.

Homewood checked the data on three weather stations in Paraguay and found that all three had their initial raw readings adjusted to show lower temperatures in the 1950s and higher temperatures today.

Following reporting by Booker two weeks ago, Homewood checked more stations in South America and found the same thing had occurred at them.

Scientists use these records to estimate temperatures in locations that don't have reporting stations, and the data is used to project changes in overall global climate.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Tellenbach, Xann, GarrotTheThief liked this post

Likes Hard, Ivy, Bknight, yama liked this post

THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Likes Showbread, Passacaglia, /DG/ liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I did not use all caps. OK???
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

On a serious note, why is it so many people get bent out of shape whenever global warming is discussed? And what happened to "The Coming Ice Age"?
    Likes Cygnus, Zero-11 liked this post

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Random singular British journalist. He has absolutely credibility as a person, so it's a good thing he manages to make such a compelling case with his tired layman argument I've heard 8 billion times.

But I'm not going to explain. At this point, the only reasonable thing to do is just tell everyone to ask some climatologists about it. Read publications from climatological organizations, etc.

The alternative is like taking medical advice that nearly 100% of physicians oppose because some random handful of people with no knowledge of the medical field suggested you should...

Oh wait! People are doing that, too!

Good luck, America.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Lol, the climate change debate is really only a topic in the US, Europe is far too well educated on the facts for this and the rest of the world doesn't care anyways. Stupid Americans.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist
    Likes Hard, Ivy, Intricate Mystic, yama, Bknight liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This might be helpful @Mal12345 @Magic Poriferan...

From RealClearPolitics via The Rational Optimist: My Life as a Climate Lukewarmer

The original article: My Life as a Climate Lukewarmer

I am a climate lukewarmer. That means I think recent global warming is real, mostly man-made and will continue but I no longer think it is likely to be dangerous and I think its slow and erratic progress so far is what we should expect in the future. That last year was the warmest yet, in some data sets, but only by a smidgen more than 2005, is precisely in line with such lukewarm thinking.

This view annoys some sceptics who think all climate change is natural or imaginary, but it is even more infuriating to most publicly funded scientists and politicians, who insist climate change is a big risk. My middle-of-the-road position is considered not just wrong, but disgraceful, shameful, verging on scandalous. I am subjected to torrents of online abuse for holding it, very little of it from sceptics.

I was even kept off the shortlist for a part-time, unpaid public-sector appointment in a field unrelated to climate because of having this view, or so the headhunter thought. In the climate debate, paying obeisance to climate scaremongering is about as mandatory for a public appointment, or public funding, as being a Protestant was in 18th-century England.

I was not always a lukewarmer. When I first started writing about the threat of global warming more than 26 years ago, as science editor ofThe Economist, I thought it was a genuinely dangerous threat. Like, for instance, Margaret Thatcher, I accepted the predictions being made at the time that we would see warming of a third or a half a degree (Centigrade) a decade, perhaps more, and that this would have devastating consequences.

Gradually, however, I changed my mind. The failure of the atmosphere to warm anywhere near as rapidly as predicted was a big reason: there has been less than half a degree of global warming in four decades — and it has slowed down, not speeded up. Increases in malaria, refugees, heatwaves, storms, droughts and floods have not materialised to anything like the predicted extent, if at all. Sea level has risen but at a very slow rate — about a foot per century.

Also, I soon realised that all the mathematical models predicting rapid warming assume big amplifying feedbacks in the atmosphere, mainly from water vapour; carbon dioxide is merely the primer, responsible for about a third of the predicted warming. When this penny dropped, so did my confidence in predictions of future alarm: the amplifiers are highly uncertain.

I began to read the work of two Canadian researchers, Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick. They and others have shown, as confirmed by the National Academy of Sciences in the United States, that the hockey stick graph, and others like it, are heavily reliant on dubious sets of tree rings and use inappropriate statistical filters that exaggerate any 20th-century upturns.

What shocked me more was the scientific establishment’s reaction to this: it tried to pretend that nothing was wrong. And then a flood of emails was leaked in 2009 showing some climate scientists apparently scheming to withhold data, prevent papers being published, get journal editors sacked and evade freedom-of-information requests, much as sceptics had been alleging. That was when I began to re-examine everything I had been told about climate change and, the more I looked, the flakier the prediction of rapid warming seemed.

I am especially unimpressed by the claim that a prediction of rapid and dangerous warming is “settled science”, as firm as evolution or gravity. How could it be? It is a prediction! No prediction, let alone in a multi-causal, chaotic and poorly understood system like the global climate, should ever be treated as gospel. With the exception of eclipses, there is virtually nothing scientists can say with certainty about the future. It is absurd to argue that one cannot disagree with a forecast. Is the Bank of England’s inflation forecast infallible?

Incidentally, my current view is still consistent with the “consensus” among scientists, as represented by the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The consensus is that climate change is happening, not that it is going to be dangerous.

Yet most politicians go straight to the top of the IPCC’s range and call climate change things like “perhaps the world’s most fearsome weapon of mass destruction” (John Kerry), requiring the expenditure of trillions of dollars. I think that is verging on grotesque in a world full of war, hunger, disease and poverty. It also means that environmental efforts get diverted from more urgent priorities, like habitat loss and invasive species.

The policies being proposed to combat climate change, far from being a modest insurance policy, are proving ineffective, expensive, harmful to poor people and actually bad for the environment: we are tearing down rainforests to grow biofuels and ripping up peat bogs to install windmills that still need fossil-fuel back-up. These policies are failing to buy any comfort for our wealthy grandchildren and are doing so on the backs of today’s poor. Some insurance policy.

I suppose all this fury means my arguments are hitting home. If they were easily demolished they would demolish them rather than try to demolish me. Many of the things that I was abused for saying have since proved to be right. I was one of the first to write an article in the mainstream media (in The Wall Street Journal in 2012) arguing that the latest data supported much lower estimates of climate sensitivity (the amount of warming induced by a doubling of carbon dioxide levels) than those being assumed by the models used by the IPCC.

This produced the usual vituperation online from about a dozen high-profile science commentators with nothing better to do. Since then four papers (the latest being this one) have appeared in the scientific literature, authored by very prominent climate scientists, giving low estimates of climate sensitivity, some even lower than I had said. I am waiting for my critics to acknowledge that my story was sound.

I have never met a climate sceptic, let alone a lukewarmer, who wants his opponents silenced. I wish I could say the same of those who think climate change is an alarming prospect.
    I still have doubts about how strongly human activities influence climate change (though I don't doubt that they do have an influence). Besides that this article captures my sentiments well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Lol, the climate change debate is really only a topic in the US, Europe is far too well educated on the facts for this and the rest of the world doesn't care anyways. Stupid Americans.
    A really good way to not make friends is to tell everyone else how much better/smarter/etc. you are than them.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

NOAA/NASA Dramatically Altered US Temperatures After The Year 2000

February 04, 1989

Last week, scientists from the United States Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that a study of temperature readings for the contiguous 48 states over the last century showed there had been no significant change in average temperature over that period. Dr. (Phil) Jones said in a telephone interview today that his own results for the 48 states agreed with those findings.
    Right after the year 2000, NASA and NOAA dramatically altered US climate history, making the past much colder and the present much warmer. The animation below shows how NASA cooled 1934 and warmed 1998, to make 1998 the hottest year in US history instead of 1934. This alteration turned a long term cooling trend since 1930 into a warming trend.
    Defund climate science asap. This is agenda driven "science"; nothing more.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.