User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    It's called a spoof. You actually took it seriously? Come on, now.
    I like your style, Jag!* You post a fraud image, and rather than admitting a lapse in judgment when I point it out, you're all like "Well of course it's fraud, I thought you knew I was kidding bro!" You have a very classy attitude*, but on the other hand it's not doing the denialists any favors.

*Poe's Law. I suggest you read up before posting another 'spoof.'

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Hm, first you selectively and strategically quote the blog of a conservative politician with coal mining interests, and then you attack a strawman rather than my actual comment.

Keep diggin' than hole, Disco!
    Turbo dumb activated.

A little bit about Matt Ridley for your information.

Biography

Matt Ridley's books have sold over a million copies, been translated into 30 languages, been short-listed for nine major literary prizes and won several awards. His TED talk "When Ideas Have Sex" has been viewed more than two million times.

With BA and DPhil degrees from Oxford University, he worked for the Economist for nine years as science editor, Washington correspondent and American editor, before becoming a self-employed writer and businessman. He was founding chairman of the International Centre for Life in Newcastle. He was non-excutive chairman of Northern Rock plc and Northern 2 VCT plc. He also commissioned the Northumberlandia landform sculpture and country park. He founded the Mind and Matter column in the Wall Street Journal and is a weekly columnist for The Times.

As Viscount Ridley, he was elected to the House of Lords in February 2013. He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and of the Academy of Medical Sciences, and a foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is married to the neuroscientist Professor Anya Hurlbert. They have two children and live at Blagdon near Newcastle upon Tyne in England.

In his various books he has argued that:

Evolution consists of arms races in which you run to stay in the same place (The Red Queen)

Co-operation and virtue are just as deep rooted parts of human nature as selfishness (The Origins of Virtue)

Reading the genome makes us the first creature in 3 billion years to know its own recipe (Genome)

Gene expression is at the mercy of experience, which explains why nature and nurture are indivisible (Nature via Nurture)

Francis Crick was instrumental in the discovery that life is a 4-letter code (Francis Crick)

Human living standards will continue rising thanks to ideas having sex (The Rational Optimist)

His latest book `The Rational Optimist: How prosperity evolves' argues that human beings are not only wealthier, but healthier, happier, cleaner, cleverer, kinder, freer, more peaceful and more equal than they have ever been. This is because the source of human innovation is, and has been for 100,000 years, not individual inspiration through reason but collective intelligence evolving by trial and error resulting from the sharing of ideas through exchange and specialization. The secret of human prosperity is that everybody is working for everybody else. The book sparked vigorous debate and has drawn both praise and criticism from Bill Gates. It was short-listed for the Samuel Johnson prize for non-fiction and it won the Hayek Prize 2011 and the Julian Simon award 2012.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I still have doubts about how strongly human activities influence climate change (though I don't doubt that they do have an influence). Besides that this article captures my sentiments well.
    Here you got a picture that illustrates the melting of the "Pasterze", a glacier in my country Austria. The glacier existed for ca. 3500 years and only in the last decades it disappeared almost completely.
    This is not only a regional thing, it happens worldwide - Antarctica, Greenland, etc. - not what they used to be.

Now, that and the general rise of temperature worldwide don't proof human impact, but research on greenhouse gases did.
    When sunlight goes into the earth's atmosphere most of it gets absorbed. Only light with a wave range between infrared and ultraviolet get through the atmosphere fully.
    Due to the decrease of temperature that the light experiences on its way to earth the intensity of radiation increases in the infrared spectrum when it's reflected by the earth's surface.
    Greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide absorb these infrared waves which leads to an emission back onto the earth's surface. The longer the waves circulate in the atmosphere the hotter it gets.
    It's called greenhouse effect because it works the same way as, surprise, a greenhouse, only that the gases replace the glas as absorbers in this case.

In short: The more carbon dioxide we blow in the air, the hotter it gets. That's also pretty much the only way natural climate change works.

So, if now someone tells me climate change isn't real, he's either someone who doubts that scientific methods work in general or he hasn't got an idea of what climate change is.
    I'm not telling everyone how much "better/smarter/etc." I am, I'm just assuming three basic things.

Either a climate change denier...

1)...is not familiar with the topic, doesn't know the underlying principles of why scientists overwhelmingly agree that there is a climate change due to human impact.
    2)...has heard of the facts but is too stupid/uninterested to understand it.
    3)...has an own reasonable explanation for why the current scientific consensus is wrong.

I haven't heard a convincing argument against it other than bible stuff, so yeah stupid, uneducated Americans.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Here you got a picture that shows the melting of the "Pasterze", a glacier in my country Austria. The glacier existed for ca. 3500 years and only in the last decades it disappeared almost completely.
    This is not only a regional thing, it happens worldwide - Antarctica, Greenland, etc. - not what they used to be.

Now, that and the general rise of temperature worldwide don't proof human impact, but research on greenhouse gases did.
    When sunlight goes into the earth's atmosphere most of it gets absorbed. Only light with a wave range between infrared and ultraviolet get through the atmosphere fully.
    Due to the decrease of temperature that the light experiences on its way to earth the intensity of radiation increases in the infrared spectrum when it's reflected by the earth's surface.
    Greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide absorb these infrared waves which leads to an emission back onto the earth's surface. The longer the waves circulate in the atmosphere the hotter it gets.
    It's called greenhouse effect because it works the same way as, surprise, a greenhouse, only that the glas replaces the gases as absorbers in this case.

So, if now someone tells me climate change isn't real, he's either someone who doubts that scientific methods work in general or he hasn't got an idea of what climate change is.

I'm not telling everyone how much "better/smarter/etc." I am, I'm just assuming three basic things.

Either a climate change denier...

1)...is not familiar with the topic, doesn't know the underlying principles of why scientists overwhelmingly agree that there is a climate change due to human impact.
    2)...has heard of the facts but is too stupid/uninterested to understand it.
    3)...has an own reasonable explanation for why the current scientific consensus is wrong.

I haven't heard a convincing argument against it other than bible stuff, so yeah stupid, uneducated Americans.
    It's almost like a tree fell in the forest, but no one was around to hear it.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It will be interesting to see how the climate conversation develops in the future as the world stubbornly refuses to end.
    It isn't really about the world though.

"Saving the planet" is a notion to get the self-righteous involved. It's about saving our own arses and maybe some cuddly animals that have pleasing faces along the way.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

It's almost like a tree fell in the forest, but no one was around to hear it.
    At least in my world that works. Don't start a philosophy debate now.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

"Saving the planet" is a notion to get the self-righteous involved. It's about saving our own arses and maybe some cuddly animals that have pleasing faces along the way.
    I care a lot about the planet and less about people actually. If I had to choose to save the planet or to save humanity, all of you would be evicted I'm afraid.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I care a lot about the planet and less about people actually. If I had to choose to save the planet or to save humanity, all of you would be evicted I'm afraid.
    Except the planet would still be here regardless of whether it becomes very hot or very cold. But it depends on how you define 'planet', as in do you mean everything minus humans? Or the actual planet itself minus everything that just happens to be living off it?

From my limited perspective and understanding (which means I could easily be wrong here) the planet itself isn't in any danger, all of the life, vegetation and so on that has propagated on it (human or not) on the other hand....
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    A realist's first law: Humans always save themselves first.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

The problem being that it hasn't been shown that our "arses" are in any danger.

For more explanation see the article I posted.