User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    On a serious note, why is it so many people get bent out of shape whenever global warming is discussed? And what happened to "The Coming Ice Age"?
    FYI, a quick Google and/or Time archive search would have tipped you off that the first is a fake.

Ironically, this thread has made me more confident than ever that global warming is a real and pressing problem.
    Likes Bknight liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It will be interesting to see how the climate conversation develops in the future as the world stubbornly refuses to end.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the climate conversation develops in the future as the world stubbornly refuses to end.
    https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...ements.jpg&f=1

The problem is that is it based on computer modeling, and not on reality.

That, and the fact that the proponents rely primarily on ridicule, argument from authority, and trashing reputations, rather than the raw data and verified predictive capabilities of the model.

Look at it this way: how often, when someone questions relativity, is the retort "Well, you're just not a physicist. You're a denier."
    The equations are rolled out, real life predictions made by the theory and their match to experiment made, real-life applications based on the theory are described.

But for anthropogenic global warming ...err, let's modify the name to "climate change"...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    FYI, a quick Google and/or Time archive search would have tipped you off that the first is a fake.

Ironically, this thread has made me more confident than ever that global warming is a real and pressing problem.
    The cover is a fake; I recall discussions in 1977, of the coming ice age. Funny how the solutions proposed, were the same ones as for "global warming" : deindustrialization of the West,
    more government control of people's lives, more global distribution of wealth.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    It's called a spoof. You actually took it seriously? Come on, now.

MBTI
    INFJ

Here's the deal. This is pure logic here.

A downward temperature trend does not disprove global warming because global warming does not actually mean an upward trend in actual temperatures. Fake numbers also do not rule out global warming, and to say that it does is just as wrong as any potential faker.

What global anthropogenic warming means is that temperatures are higher than they should be naturally. This does not mean that temperatures constantly rise. This notion is patently false and logically untenable. This should not be used to attempt to rule out global warming because it is very incorrect.

Logically speaking it is entirely possible to observe a downward temperature trend and still be global warming because we're essentially dealing with vectors. Imagine retrorockets on a reentry capsule (think Soyuz) where even though the thrust is positive, the craft descends because the TWR is less than 1 but the craft descends more slowly than it would without the thrust.

Talking about cooling trends vs. warming trends is actually quite meaningless.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Report: Temperature Data Being Faked to Show Global Warming

A British journalist is questioning the method used to by scientists to calculate the earth's climate change, calling it "one of the greatest scientific scandals of all time."

Christopher Booker writes for Britain's The Telegraph that climate data from stations in South America have been adjusted since the 1950s to give the impression that the earth's temperature is rising more than the original data showed.

Booker cites Paul Homewood's Not a Lot of People Know That blog where Homewood compares raw data with adjusted temperatures to show the graph trend was reversed from a cooling trend to a warming one.

Homewood checked the data on three weather stations in Paraguay and found that all three had their initial raw readings adjusted to show lower temperatures in the 1950s and higher temperatures today.

Following reporting by Booker two weeks ago, Homewood checked more stations in South America and found the same thing had occurred at them.

Scientists use these records to estimate temperatures in locations that don't have reporting stations, and the data is used to project changes in overall global climate.
    It would be interesting if it was fake. I did a report on global warming before it was called climate change and it said the world is getting colder and I was laughed out of the room but I referenced data from an official source - this was freshmen year of college...so I would feel somewhat vindicated and quite proud of myself for being so astute, although I am a naturalist and quite fond of the environment, I still find it hard to believe that climate change will result in warmer weather rather than more extreme weather.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Evee, grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    On a serious note, why is it so many people get bent out of shape whenever global warming is discussed? And what happened to "The Coming Ice Age"?
    I'm glad they got rid of Frank. My least favorite character by far.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Hm, first you selectively and strategically quote the blog of a conservative politician with coal mining interests, and then you attack a strawman rather than my actual comment.

Keep diggin' than hole, Disco!