User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Provoker, I just have to disagree. I won't try to argue that everything that happened in Russia in the 1990s was great (the crooked "privatization" schemes were particularly odious), but you do not become a great country by acting like a jerk and threatening smaller countries in your area, nor do you become great by lying to your general public, nor by silencing your opposition. Those are cowards' tactics. It's bullying, and it sucks. Putin is lapsing into the old Russian dictator paranoia. That isn't "getting things done."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Provoker, I just have to disagree. I won't try to argue that everything that happened in Russia in the 1990s was great (the crooked "privatization" schemes were particularly odious), but you do not become a great country by acting like a jerk and threatening smaller countries in your area, nor do you become great by lying to your general public, nor by silencing your opposition. Those are cowards' tactics. It's bullying, and it sucks. Putin is lapsing into the old Russian dictator paranoia. That isn't "getting things done."
    <growls> NO! Putin is a man that is being crapped on due to his nationalism, which in fact is no worse than Bush, who feels he has the right to be world policeman due to his power and influence combined with nationalism and stupidity. Except Putin is brilliant, which makes his power and nationalism even more of a threat for many people.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

That's fine. You can have your view and I'll have mine. The point though is that most Russians don't agree with you.

you do not become a great country by acting like a jerk and threatening smaller countries in your area, nor do you become great by lying to your general public, nor by silencing your opposition."
    You've just described the US perfectly..the alleged liberal democracy. Acting like a jerk: check (unliteralism and going against UN resolutions). Threatening smaller countries: check (too many to name). Lying to the public: check (war in Iraq and keeping the troops in even long after people know it's a sham). Silencing opposition: check (with the State Department of Propaganda mobilizing support for its policies and creating a dynamic wherein all that were were opposed to the war were stigmatized and labeled unpatriotic it naturally followed that most of the people and the media were taken for a ride and followed the government's policies blindly. If this is you're criterion for greatness, then I don't think the US fares much better than Russia.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    No NOT keep Israel safe, damn it - that's what started all this shit to begin with. If they wanna kill each other, they will - so just let 'em damn it. The only thing that can happen is that we get dragged into a third world war because the damn Americans think it's a great idea to "save the world." Screw it - I say! Grrrr.....
    I wish it was the case where "if Israel wants to kill everyone, let 'em" because then if you had someone hawkish enough, you wouldn't hear any more about the Palestinians or Hizbullah or Iran.

Too bad America and the rest of Europe is trying to play "peace broker" when in Europe, you have Sharia creeping in at so many different places.

Political correctness is what's responsible for most world messes.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Too bad America is trying to play "peace broker".
    ?

MBTI
    ESFJ

<growls> NO! Putin is a man that is being crapped on due to his nationalism, which in fact is no worse than Bush, who feels he has the right to be world policeman due to his power and influence combined with nationalism and stupidity. Except Putin is brilliant, which makes his power and nationalism even more of a threat for many people.
    Putin is NOT brilliant; he's a conniver (and a murderer). There is a difference. And nationalists should be crapped on, regularly. John McCain is a nationalist, and he sucks because of it.

MBTI
    xNFP

Hey, don't look at me, Il - I live in Germany, and trust me - I know....

But who gives a fart? People are going to be messed up regardless of who plays good cop, bad cop.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    xNFP

Putin is NOT brilliant; he's a conniver (and a murderer). There is a difference. And nationalists should be crapped on, regularly. John McCain is a nationalist, and he sucks because of it.
    Um....huh?

Oh yeah, I forgot - Americans differentiate between nationalism and patriotism. Patriotism is cool and for the good guys; nationalism sucks and only the bad guys do it.

Uh-huh. Right. Gotcha.

(Pfft, likely story).

MBTI
    ESFJ

Um....huh?

Oh yeah, I forgot - Americans differentiate between nationalism and patriotism. Patriotism is cool and for the good guys; nationalism sucks and only the bad guys do it.

Uh-huh. Right. Gotcha.

(Pfft, likely story).
    What the hell are you talking about? I just gave an example of a prominent American nationalist, and said that he sucks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, but why would Georgia invade when they have no possible chance of success? There's something else behind it, for SURE!
    This goes to the question of motive, and this is really pure speculation but I see motive on behalf of the Americans to manufacture a new enemy to mobilize republican support for the upcoming elections. As it stands, McCain is clinging to Bush's policies and the American people have had it with Iraq. It's a known fact that it was a sham and the people were lied to and it's costing the economy dearly. Americans want change. In most presidential elections, it boils down to a single question that people ask themselves when they go to the ballot box. For this election, the main question so far is whether to keep the war policy in Iraq or bring the troops back. And so far the concensus is to bring the troops back, this is the essence of Obama's popularity among other things. However, because McCain has already clinged to his unwise strategy (it would have been more strategic to make the ballot question about something else for the republicans to have a shot) they're trying to manufacture a new enemy so that they can a) continue the military industrial complex and b) generate new enemies and fear of a war in which case the media will play to McCains war experience and give him a shot at winning the election. Being an experienced war veterine is only powerful if there is a war or something to be feared. If you want motive - there it is. But then we ask other questions, there is a powerful faction in the US that wants the troops kept in Iraq for oil. Despite it costing American taxpayers dearly, there is a small faction benefiting and if the troops are removed their investments are no longer secure. In my judgement, it is extremely political and what worries me is that the US government has several times through out history used war to unite the country around election time. It's cunning bullshit politics that exploits fear and passion rather than reason to mobilize support and gain victory. I'll be damned if McCain gets in office or if the American people get cajouled into this whole little scheme - afterall the voted for Bush for two terms which suggests that anything can happen. I really hope Americans will see the truth and vote for Obama because this policy can't go on forever and I hope it stops at Obama but we know it definately doesn't stop with McCain (it would be a continuation of the same policy).