Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Default Dishonest headlines

Dishonest news headlines. They're great for clickbait and for stirring up the pot.

For example, Huckabee compares being gay to drinking, swearing.

Technically true. The guy's pretty averse to gay marriage, etc. And there's some truth to this particular headline. But what it seems to try to imply is bullshit.

See the bolded.

"People can be my friends who have lifestyles that are not necessarily my lifestyle. I don't shut people out of my circle or out of my life because they have a different point of view," Huckabee told CNN's Dana Bash, while deflecting a question about whether he believes being gay is a choice.

"I don't drink alcohol, but gosh -- a lot of my friends, maybe most of them, do. You know, I don't use profanity, but believe me, I've got a lot of friends who do. Some people really like classical music and ballet and opera -- it's not my cup of tea," Huckabee said.
    So, the headline could also read "Huckabee compares being gay to listening to classical music." Or, you know, "Huckabee: People do stuff that I don't do sometimes, such as the whole 'being gay' thing."

__

Any personal favorite dishonest headlines? Even those from radical sources count. This thread's not necessarily about this particular headline, but I think it's a good example.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Dishonest news headlines. They're great for clickbait and for stirring up the pot.

For example, Huckabee compares being gay to drinking, swearing.

Technically true. The guy's pretty averse to gay marriage, etc. And there's some truth to this particular headline. But what it seems to try to imply is bullshit.

See the bolded.

So, the headline could also read "Huckabee compares being gay to listening to classical music." Or, you know, "Huckabee: People do stuff that I don't do sometimes, such as the whole 'being gay' thing."

__

Any personal favorite dishonest headlines? Even those from radical sources count. This thread's not necessarily about this particular headline, but I think it's a good example.
    If you want a more extreme Huckabee headline take this facebook post:

Quote Originally Posted by Huckabee
    [...] If we are determined to change the definition of marriage to accommodate how people feel and what they wish to do because of their mutual consent, then we should immediately release those incarcerated for practicing polygamy or bigamy, and frankly, let’s make all consensual adult behaviors legal, whether prostitution, assisted suicide, or even drinking 16 ounce sodas in New York City.
    It's a gold mine. Here are a couple of headlines created from the above:

• Huffington Post: "Mike Huckabee: 'I'm Neither A Homophobe Nor A Hater,' But Gay Marriage Is Just Like Polygamy"
    • Death and Taxes (whoever they are): "Mike Huckabee wants to legalize polygamy and prostitution"

It almost seems like that facebook post was headline bating.

I find Mike Huckabee oddly likable, probably because he reminds me of the super nice people I grew up going to church who felt bad for folks who doomed themselves to hell because they engaged in the "homosexual lifestyle" (apparently there's only one).

Unfortunately I don't read enough news to contribute a headline off the top of my head, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Huckabee
    [...] If we are determined to change the definition of marriage to accommodate how people feel and what they wish to do because of their mutual consent, then we should immediately release those incarcerated for practicing polygamy or bigamy, and frankly, let’s make all consensual adult behaviors legal, whether prostitution, assisted suicide, or even drinking 16 ounce sodas in New York City.
    Yes, let's!!!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yahoo News is particularly bad at this, although i think it's filtered into all media at this point to some degree ... in an attempt to get the pithiest sounding "bite" that will also stir up the most response.

So many times I'm there looking at articles and getting irked because the title is either misleading or totally slanting the actual comments in an unintended direction (well, unintended by the speaker).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think the people who have both mastered and yet are the worst with bait-click headlines is Buzzfeed.
    Whenever you look at their articles they always say stuff like THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND or YOU LITERALLY NEED TO KNOW and other exaggerations.
    I suggest you watch John Oliver's piece on Native Advertising, kind of gives a funny look on where news, both online and offline, are headed. Or at least in relation to ads and bait click crap.
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc
    "If you ever look up into the sky, doubting the existence of other worlds, just know that somewhere, a creature is looking up at it's sky, doubting you." -Night Vale

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    I think the people who have both mastered and yet are the worst with bait-click headlines is Buzzfeed.
    Whenever you look at their articles they always say stuff like THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND or YOU LITERALLY NEED TO KNOW and other exaggerations.

Why BuzzFeed Doesn’t Do Clickbait, Buzzfeed meta-clickbait

May as well be "10 Mind-Blowing Shocking Reasons Why BuzzFeed Doesn't Do Clickbait That Will Blow Your Mind"

I suggest you watch John Oliver's piece on Native Advertising, kind of gives a funny look on where news, both online and offline, are headed. Or at least in relation to ads and bait click crap.
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well here is one I heard not 5 minutes ago on CNN.

Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders' - NBC News

And Rand Paul just said - "I'm a big fan of vaccines, they have saved lives, etc". Of course, he gave zero citations on all this medical proof of the "profound mental disorders after vaccines" he knows about. And wasn't he a doctor? Ugh.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Mike Huckabee isn't an innocent victim of the media. He's said way worse stuff to the point that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If a known homophobe makes a comment about homosexuality, it will be assumed to be homophobia.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    yupp

isn't there that movie called must love huckabees?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    isn't there that movie called must love huckabees?
    must love dogs

i <3 huckabees
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post