too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Well here is one I heard not 5 minutes ago on CNN.

Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders' - NBC News

And Rand Paul just said - "I'm a big fan of vaccines, they have saved lives, etc". Of course, he gave zero citations on all this medical proof of the "profound mental disorders after vaccines" he knows about. And wasn't he a doctor? Ugh.
    Wasn't the Disneyland measles outbreak due to parents not vaccinating their kids??
    I know a lot of people are getting paranoid but vaccination is important. Don't you need to be up to date with shots in order to get them in school??
    "If you ever look up into the sky, doubting the existence of other worlds, just know that somewhere, a creature is looking up at it's sky, doubting you." -Night Vale

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    Wasn't the Disneyland measles outbreak due to parents not vaccinating their kids??
    I know a lot of people are getting paranoid but vaccination is important. Don't you need to be up to date with shots in order to get them in school??
    I believe so. They do unless the parents fill out some kind of waiver. I don't know for sure, I vaccinated my kids.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Yes.

Do you?
    I do.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Mike Huckabee isn't an innocent victim of the media. He's said way worse stuff to the point that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If a known homophobe makes a comment about homosexuality, it will be assumed to be homophobia.
    Attacking the person instead of the statement doesn't make the statement wrong or right. It ignores it entirely.

The OP is saying, despite whatever is going on, the dishonesty in the headline is present. No matter what the dude really feels, his statements are not represented with honesty. There is a bias there. And, really, that hurts everyone. All the time. Dishonest news and journalism is just really the scum of everything.

And the only way to stop it is for people to call them out on that shit and keep saying they don't want this. Which won't happen because of attitudes like this. 'Well, he deserves it anyways, that IS how he really feels..'

Just go do a quick google search of why people are hating shark week lately and all the destruction shark week has created on the foundation of education and honesty, and you'll quickly see why, good person or not, accurate statements in journalism and such are important.

I don't expect buzzfeed to be accurate or representative in nature. But people disguising themselves as news and entertainment both (which is a majority of news sources lately) are really causing a lot of slow damage.

The thread is meant to be a light hearted 'pick these things out' ... but if you're going in this direction, him being seen as a bad man does not mean he is 'getting what he deserved' by being inaccurately represented. If a patient stole a car and crashed it, he gets the same treatment in the hospital as the guy who he hit. We don't exact our own mini versions of justice and vengeance out on others for a reason.

Waivers are easily attained. Medical information is private, so parents don't have to say why, they just have to say the kid isn't vaccinated. If they weren't there, immunocompromised kids and kids allergic to eggs and stuff like that would not be able to go to school. Anti-vaccine people just take advantage of this doorway--healthy kids getting diseases the old fashioned way and mingling with kids unprotected against their will. Also, it isn't like they get titers done to confirm immunity, so it isn't really as strict as people think.

My sister got her meningitis shot from her doctor, but the paperwork was such a pain in the ass and there was a fee to get it confirmed in their system that she just said she was unable to vaccinate and signed a waiver to avoid the fees and paperwork.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Depends on what you read. And what you choose to believe.

Disney Measles Outbreak Came From Overseas, CDC Says - NBC News

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Attacking the person instead of the statement doesn't make the statement wrong or right. It ignores it entirely.

The OP is saying, despite whatever is going on, the dishonesty in the headline is present. No matter what the dude really feels, his statements are not represented with honesty. There is a bias there. And, really, that hurts everyone. All the time. Dishonest news and journalism is just really the scum of everything.

And the only way to stop it is for people to call them out on that shit and keep saying they don't want this. Which won't happen because of attitudes like this. 'Well, he deserves it anyways, that IS how he really feels..'

Just go do a quick google search of why people are hating shark week lately and all the destruction shark week has created on the foundation of education and honesty, and you'll quickly see why, good person or not, accurate statements in journalism and such are important.

I don't expect buzzfeed to be accurate or representative in nature. But people disguising themselves as news and entertainment both (which is a majority of news sources lately) are really causing a lot of slow damage.

The thread is meant to be a light hearted 'pick these things out' ... but if you're going in this direction, him being seen as a bad man does not mean he is 'getting what he deserved' by being inaccurately represented. If a patient stole a car and crashed it, he gets the same treatment in the hospital as the guy who he hit. We don't exact our own mini versions of justice and vengeance out on others for a reason.
    1.) I didn't take it a direction it wasn't already going.

2.) He's not being inaccurately represented, he's being represented from a certain perspective that happens to be more cynical than yours. That's not inaccurate, it's just a subjective point of view.

3.) "Balanced" points of view in journalism aren't necessarily healthier than admittedly biased ones. Case in point: coverage of the anti-vaccination movement. It's a fringe view that vaccines are dangerous, and yet they're being represented on equal ground as the scientific majority representatives who are citing actual scientific fact. That's not balanced, that's imbalanced via attempt at balance.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    If you want a more extreme Huckabee headline take this facebook post:

It's a gold mine. Here are a couple of headlines created from the above:

• Huffington Post: "Mike Huckabee: 'I'm Neither A Homophobe Nor A Hater,' But Gay Marriage Is Just Like Polygamy"
    • Death and Taxes (whoever they are): "Mike Huckabee wants to legalize polygamy and prostitution"

It almost seems like that facebook post was headline bating.

I find Mike Huckabee oddly likable, probably because he reminds me of the super nice people I grew up going to church who felt bad for folks who doomed themselves to hell because they engaged in the "homosexual lifestyle" (apparently there's only one).
    The problem with Huckabee and like-minded politicians and religious leaders is that they tend to have an "all or nothing" approach to these types of issues. I've heard a lot of these types preaching about how, if gay marriage is legal, then we might as well legalize everything from bestiality to polygamy to pedophilia; I've known plenty of gay people and not one endorsed legalizing any of those practices (not to my knowledge, anyway). I don't see how legalizing gay marriage will lead to the legalization of those practices.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.