User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Political correctness is much less of a thing than conservatives make it out to be.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-
    Likes Hard, Bush Did 9/11, chickpea, Ivy, Chanaynay liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Why is there such a sudden and strong reaction from the liberal elite when any prominent person makes politically incorrect statements? They're afraid of the public listening and taking note. Also if you have talked to people involved in left wing (in the US, Green and left Democrats) parties, you'll find that many of them genuinely believe in regulating thoughts. Political correctness is fundamentally driven by fear and need to control people.
    I have never, not once, heard someone call political correctness driven by fear. I find that statement to be utterly rediculous. People get upset over it based on the context. It says and shows insight into the persons views who is making the statement, and if their shown to be damaging or harmful, then it is addressed.

Also, I am not aware of anyone, on any party, who is interested in thought regulation.

This is very dangerous territory to explore. It is up to parents to instruct their children morally, not state educators - many of whom are anti natal and do not have children themselves.
    It should be a mix and a collaberation of both. Neither is infallible.

No, I don't, regardless of whether the mentality favours me politically. I have an instinctive aversion to lots of people chanting slogans with zeal, whether they're men in uniform or motley "anti-racist" students. If you can't look at your own belief system and see its weaknesses, you have become corrupted by it.
    Instinct is not always correct. And if your last sentence is correct, then you have been profoundly corrupted by it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Political correctness is much less of a thing than conservatives make it out to be.
    And the twitter outrage brigade is just a figment of everyone's imagination then?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I have never, not once, heard someone call political correctness driven by fear. I find that statement to be utterly ridiculous.
    So my views lack foundation because you haven't heard them before. What kind of reasoning is that?

People get upset over it based on the context. It says and shows insight into the persons views who is making the statement, and if their shown to be damaging or harmful, then it is addressed.

Also, I am not aware of anyone, on any party, who is interested in thought regulation.
    Surely you don't think a politician would be so foolish as to come out and say they're for thought regulation. You have to be able to read between the lines; think about what would be necessary for somebody to realise their vision. I can assure you that for many of the left, the ends justify the means.

It should be a mix and a collaberation of both. Neither is infallible.
    The only reason you trust the state to teach children good values is because your views are politically correct.

Instinct is not always correct. And if your last sentence is correct, then you have been profoundly corrupted by it.
    Oh, the irony.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

So my views lack foundation because you haven't heard them before. What kind of reasoning is that?
    If there was basis, it would be talked about more. I and others would have heard this spoken even somewhat if it were a common thought or thought to be the case.

Surely you don't think a politician would be so foolish as to come out and say they're for thought regulation. You have to be able to read between the lines; think about what would be necessary for somebody to realise their vision. I can assure you that for many of the left, the ends justify the means.
    You're reading between the lines too much and seeing things that aren't there.

The only reason you trust the state to teach children good values is because your views are politically correct.
    No.

Oh, the irony.
    There is none.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Ah political correctness, the absolute peak of paying attention to all the wrong things... it's the new traditionalism don't you know?

I mean according to political correctness theories I could take offence if you called me Alex or Alexander. As it so happens I do have a preference but I'm not so controlling as to try to determine which one you choose.

A few PC gaffs I've experienced.

No one can accuse me of being racist, I married one!

You can't call a female in the employ of the Police a Policeman, that's sexist. (To my mind changing the title of a job which has existed for a long time just because a female can now occupy the position IS being sexist. Astounded a room full of supposed HR hopefuls!)

Personally I think that the whole PC thing is summed up wonderfully by the following quote
    Bethany: You were martyred?
    Rufus: That's one way of putting it. Another way of putting it would be to say that I was bludgeoned to shit by big fucking rocks.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    To anyone who doesn't know, Jonathan Chait has managed to run afoul of the oppression olympics decathletes over on twitter and in the liberal blogosphere more generally.

Here is the offending material from New York:

Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say

How the language police are perverting liberalism.

Some choice bits:

The article, was received with less than open arms on the left.

Vox: The truth about "political correctness" is that it doesn't actually exist

Gawker: Punch-Drunk Jonathan Chait Takes On the Entire Internet

And the list goes on.

Anyway as a Conservative, non of this comes as any surprise to me.

Apparently it is surprising when a Liberal like Chait has a weapon honed on his side of the isle turned against him.

Your thoughts?
    Tort reform. Lawsuits are often the reason given for many a risk adverse decision. The U.S. has like 1,25 MILLION lawyers... and we sue about 15 million times per year. "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" (you know I'm annoyed when I whip out bible quotes... lmao, atheist here btw, *holds up hands in a 'don't shoot' fashion*)

http://abovethelaw.com/uploads/2012/...laintiffs2.jpg

...and when I was a kid you wouldn't have gotten sued for making cartoons like this.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post

...and when I was a kid you wouldn't have gotten sued for making cartoons like this.
    What? Somebody got sued for making that cartoon?!?

This world just depresses me more and more.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

What? Somebody got sued for making that cartoon?!?

This world just depresses me more and more.
    This is a list of looney cartoons that have been censored. The reasons are not given. That is an internal Looney Tunes process that has not been shared with the public. The Censored Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Guide

Political Correctness = Selective Censorship
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm going to break formation here; I know this is going to cause a huge backlash.. so I'm going to step away for a few days and then get to work on fire-fighting.

I tend to agree with Jonathan Chait. This piece from the notorious right-wing rag The Nation hits the nail on the head for me:
    Jonathan Chait and the New PC | The Nation

It's kind of been out of control for a while now. It needs to die. I'm grateful that we've reached peak political correctness, and I'm pleased that more people are starting to talk about this in the wake of Charlie Hebdo. I figure it will be dead by 2017 once the Republicans get the White House. Then "bourgeois values" like free speech and so forth will start being fashionable again and evidently worth defending.

The reason the article bothered so many people was because it hit on something true. The minute I see someone use the word "mansplaining" they lose a lot of respect from me.

I don't entirely hate the idea of being sensitivity, but sensitivity is not an ultimate good. There are things that are more important than sensitivity. Truth is one of them. If "sensitivity" means that we can't call people murderers because it might look racist and that cartoon was insulting, I'm definitely against it. None of this stuff actually does anything for any of the groups it is supposed to be representing, it just allows people to feel like they're doing something without doing anything at all. It also seems to be used a lot to silence members of the underprivileged groups, too. Every time I see a white person condemn a POC for "internalized racism" for not getting on board with their program, I cringe inside.

If this kind of post-modern thing is so effective, why hasn't it managed to achieve any of it's goals in the 30 years it's been around? Post-modernism is a symptom of the weakness of the left, rather than a "powerful new tactic for enacting change". It's nothing more than a half-assed response to the Reagan Revolution.

I'm a super liberal, but I'm really irritated by the radical left right now, and honestly, I'm angrier at them than the conservatives.

Cutting a man's tongue out merely shows the world that you fear what they have to say. Great job, guys! Now the far right in Europe is on the rise. Bravo.

As a rootless cosmopolitan, I have no patience for neo-Stalinism.

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78