User Tag List

12 Last

Default Boko Haram's atrocities

The other big theatre of conflict for political islam looks like its Africa, Boko Haram seems to be operating with pretty much impunity and no consequences. What are your views about this? Its more of a humanitarian disaster I think than any of the other comparable conflicts, it also doesnt provoke interest in the west in the same ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The other big theatre of conflict for political islam looks like its Africa, Boko Haram seems to be operating with pretty much impunity and no consequences. What are your views about this? Its more of a humanitarian disaster I think than any of the other comparable conflicts, it also doesnt provoke interest in the west in the same ways.
    Boko Haram quite rightly hate Western literacy. This is because Boko Haram is a spoken culture and literacy means an end to spoken culture.

Normally literacy means an end to the spoken culture of a child, but in parts of Africa it means the end to the spoken culture of adults. So it is a matter of cultural survival for Boko Haram. This is why they burn down schools, kill teachers and school children, and enslave school children.

And rather than learning to read, Boko Haram learn the Koran off by heart by hearing it read aloud and by rote.

The very words 'Boko Haram' mean 'Western literacy is forbidden'.

We do well to remember that a large part of Islam is illiterate, and this goes some way to explaining their antipathy to the literate West. The literate West is literally a threat to the spoken culture of Islam.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Can we please stop selling guns to these wackjobs?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Nobody cares when brown people die.
    Likes Chthonic liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    How would "we" accomplish that in Africa? The vast majority of the continent is third world, they're completely vulnerable to anyone that grabs power. I don't think it's any more or less a humanitarian disaster than Iraq, Syria, or whatever flavor of the week country will be overrun by terrorists.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Boko Haram are not wackjobs. They are rationally and logically defending their spoken culture against Western literacy.

We have seen this many time before. The Zulu wars in Africa pitted the spoken culture of the Zulus against the literate culture of the West.

We are wise to remember that literacy does not come naturally. Our very own children are compelled to go to school by State Law. And I know this is not a popular thing to say but I think we will need to compel Islam to learn to read. The way to defeat Islam is to force them to learn to read and write.

This is a long term goal and will take at least a hundred years. In the meantime we can expect non-symmetrical resistance in the form of terrorism

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee
    How would "we" accomplish that in Africa?
    I don't think the guns are manufactured in Africa. They're likely sold by European, Russian, and Asian arms traders. There are economic sanctions we can impose at the national level. The only other solution would be to arm everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mole
    Boko Haram are not wackjobs.
    They meet my criteria of a "wackjob".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

They meet my criteria of a "wackjob".
    Well, by your own criteria, our children are wackjobs because they don't like going to school.

Shakespeare himself told us this with, Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel. And shining morning face, creeping like snail. Unwillingly to school.

The difference between the school child and Boko Haram is that Boko Haram have the power to resist the imposition of literacy, and the school child doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    How would "we" accomplish that in Africa? The vast majority of the continent is third world, they're completely vulnerable to anyone that grabs power. I don't think it's any more or less a humanitarian disaster than Iraq, Syria, or whatever flavor of the week country will be overrun by terrorists.
    I know what you are driving at but in those other states it has the appearence at least of being an armed conflict between mismatched but opposing forces, boko haram looks sort of like an urban gang running rampage with no force to oppose them and a large vulnerable population to prey upon.

Although I accept that this is how things have been in Africa for a long time, colonisation, decolonisation and anything else does not appear to make much of a difference.

The arms trade is difficult to regulate in these situations too but at least it could be seen as a failing on the part of neo-liberal or libertarian ideas that free markets fix everything.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Nobody cares when brown people die.
    Mhmm...I was thinking, "See...black lives don't matter" when I read the OP.

#IamNigeria Urges Global Concern For Boko Haram Massacre