12 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default The 50% Divorce Rate Myth

Busting Cultural Myths About Marriage and Divorce

According to the Census Bureau, 72% of those who have ever been married, are still married to their first spouse! And the 28% who aren’t, includes everyone who was married for many years, until a spouse died. No-one knows what the average first-marriage divorce rate actually is, but based on the rate of widowhood and other factors, we can estimate it is probably closer to 20-25%.
    The actual divorce rate is between 20 to 25 percent and it's about 10% for regular church-goers. I was fooled. I believed in the 50% divorce rate figure because that's the figure that gets reported but that 50% figure is merely a guess, a projection. Does this new figure change anyone's perception of marriage or desire to get married?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

it doesn't really affect my willingness to get married or my view of marriage at all. i'm more influenced by the successful or unsuccessful marriages i've witnessed than some arbitrary number.

maybe the 50% number was more influenced by people who may have had several marriages and divorces?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea
    maybe the 50% number was more influenced by people who may have had several marriages and divorces?
    For couples in 2nd marriages, 65% are still married. I have no idea what criteria was used to establish the 50% figure, but Ms. Feldhahn wrote a book about the topic "The Good News About Marriage".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think they were comparing the rate of marriage to the rate of divorce in a given year or something stupid like that. But just because in a given year there are half as many divorces as marriages doesn't mean that half of all marriages end up in divorce.

Statistics are funny critters.

... to answer the question, yes, I would like to get married again if I would find someone I'd be interested in marrying.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Tellenbach, five sounds liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

still doesn't convince me that I should get married... I simply see no need despite being with someone for almost 6 years and planning on being with him for many more. commitment doesn't need to be formalized to be commitment and the more anyone suggests that I SHOULD get married the more determined I am not to
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Passacaglia, Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    still doesn't convince me that I should get married... I simply see no need despite being with someone for almost 6 years and planning on being with him for many more. commitment doesn't need to be formalized to be commitment and the more anyone suggests that I SHOULD get married the more determined I am not to
    Okay, don't get married then. Really. you shouldn't.

*waits to see if she gets married just to be assertive*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Okay, don't get married then. Really. you shouldn't.

*waits to see if she gets married just to be assertive*
    sorry, jennifer... you're just one voice saying don't vs. the many saying that I should

plus, why would I want to do something formal? ewwwww...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Busting Cultural Myths About Marriage and Divorce

The actual divorce rate is between 20 to 25 percent and it's about 10% for regular church-goers. I was fooled. I believed in the 50% divorce rate figure because that's the figure that gets reported but that 50% figure is merely a guess, a projection. Does this new figure change anyone's perception of marriage or desire to get married?
    I never believed that statistic. I don't know why...it just seemed...well, wrong somehow (sez this divorced person! ).

I do not ever want to marry again...never. Long-term partner? Yes, maybe...if I can find someone worthy of me!
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    plus, why would I want to do something formal? ewwwww...
    Not saying you should, but when I get married I'm saying "screw formal!" That shit's gonna be a rave with fireworks and sparklers.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Totenkindly, five sounds, Redbone liked this post

This gives me hope.

Then again since I am not used to seeing divorces happening around me, going through a divorce has never been a concern of mine.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post