123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Sexual education in America/teen lgbtq+ issues

In light of recent events in the lgbtq+ community (look up Leelah Alcorn) there's been a lot of talk about what we should be teaching in sex education classes. (Mostly in America) A lot of people are calling for more lgbtq+ issues to be talked about in health/sex ed, including sexual safety, gender and gender identity, basically stuff beyond heteronormative stuff that is usually talked about.
    However, to do that we kind of have to talk about sex, rather than spewing this old abstinence stupid.
    So my question is: Should we expand sex ed to teach all genders/sexualities? If so, how? If not, then why?
    Opinions anyone?
    "If you ever look up into the sky, doubting the existence of other worlds, just know that somewhere, a creature is looking up at it's sky, doubting you." -Night Vale
    Likes five sounds liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Sigh.

I say save money and time and just refer them to a subreddit or two, and provide free condoms (male and female of course) at the exit ways. Maybe provide extra credit for shared personal experiences during english literature class.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    yupp

well sex ed for straight people sucks but if it's how for every type to stay safe and not get stds, yeah because at least with straight sex ed straight people get a little info on how to stay safe, and i've never had not straight sex (i'm pretty vanilla) I might have other types if asked and it was clear their would not be a relationship and i was 100% sure that was the case, but no such opportunity has arisen, nor do i force it. So my point is i don't know the differences between straight, gay, lesbian, or other sex is in terms of safety. I do not recall being told how to actually have sex in sex ed but rather what potential consequences of sex would be such as stds or pregancy.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

If I were the President of All Education, I'd move the line even further back. Teaching health is fine, but the whole sex ed thing should be left up to the parents anyway. Adding gender identity issues to the class curriculum would be tossing a grenade into the whole shebang. (Of course, gender identity has something to do with sex, and that sex has something to do with health.. but the line is drawn somewhere.)

LBGTQ issues are very important, especially around sex ed's target age; but I don't think that it's the school's place to be directly involved. They could perhaps refer students (and parents) to other resources on the issue, such as support groups and literature.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I think it will be beneficial to have a small portion of sex education to include issues related to LGBT health issues. I don't think there needs to be a huge increase of it though. Simply for the fact that it's not as common.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    In light of recent events in the lgbtq+ community (look up Leelah Alcorn) there's been a lot of talk about what we should be teaching in sex education classes. (Mostly in America) A lot of people are calling for more lgbtq+ issues to be talked about in health/sex ed, including sexual safety, gender and gender identity, basically stuff beyond heteronormative stuff that is usually talked about.
    However, to do that we kind of have to talk about sex, rather than spewing this old abstinence stupid.
    So my question is: Should we expand sex ed to teach all genders/sexualities? If so, how? If not, then why?
    Opinions anyone?
    And what if you're fine with the heteronormative stuff and feel no interest nor inclination in going "beyond" it? In fact what if you thought that was just a touch of madness?

I can tell that this is all conceived with the best possible intentions but if you want the final watering hole of diversity and mutual toleration to be poisoned then you put it on the curriculum and make it mandatory. It'll be as popular as algebra and advanced trig any day after that I'd expect.

The reality is that heteronormative is heteronormative for a reason, no one got together down at the town hall and decided it was the season to be mean to odd childless couple of gals or guys living together on the out skirts of town, for the vast majority of people loving a member of the opposite sex, feeling fine as the man or women they were born as, raising kids with one mom and one dad who feel they might like a boyfriend (if they are a little girl) or a girlfriend (if they are a little boy) when they reach maturity is fine and they never ever give a second thought to anyone for whom that doesnt make sense. There's no hating or persecuting. And its been that way for the majority of human history and probably always will be. There's no official conspiracy, no heterosexual dictatorship, no culture of persecution and despising. Its just how things are for the majority of people.

Now if the majority is going to respect the minority's wishes to do as they please then I'm sure the same minorities will reciprocate, wont they? And if they dont they will expect the same treatment surely as the majority can should they welsh on respecting them right?

If the aggressive promotion of homosexuality continues I'd respect anyone who choose to exercise to the full capacity their right to civil disobedience, schools should teach people skills and knowledge, sexual ideologies they can pick up some place else if they really feel the need I'm sure.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And what if you're fine with the heteronormative stuff and feel no interest nor inclination in going "beyond" it?
    There are plenty of things encountered in school that students don't want to learn, and have no desire to go beyond it. Doesn't matter though, they are still expected to know it.

Likes GarrotTheThief, Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    If I were the President of All Education, I'd move the line even further back. Teaching health is fine, but the whole sex ed thing should be left up to the parents anyway. Adding gender identity issues to the class curriculum would be tossing a grenade into the whole shebang. (Of course, gender identity has something to do with sex, and that sex has something to do with health.. but the line is drawn somewhere.)

LBGTQ issues are very important, especially around sex ed's target age; but I don't think that it's the school's place to be directly involved. They could perhaps refer students (and parents) to other resources on the issue, such as support groups and literature.
    It can be important, yeah, although I dont see how spreading the misery and confusion which was the preserve of one, small, percentage of the population to the entire population is going to be a step forward, absent from any discussion of sexuality in schools has always been topics such as rape, its aftermath, the likelihood of there being no legal sanction or satisfaction for the victim or their family, the related matter of bogus rape allegations, societal problems such as incest, confusion about parentage, the cost and consequence of cheating on child rearing, molestation and abuse in the community, extended family or home.

I'm not saying it should be there but what I am saying is that there's a nightmare side to sexuality, its not for nothing that there's a serious and horrible history of taboos, repression and terror surrounding the whole idea of "carnality" but its all ignored, abstinence seems stupid because its thought of out of the context of temptations, self-control and impulse control, sex is, wrongly (and this used to even be something which feminists were hot on) as easy, free, available, something which everyone is doing anyhow and without consequence (of any sort, not simply the unintended pregnancy and child sort).

I've seen how the "this is fucking awesome" and "there could be nothing wrong with this" notions put over by the media and culture at large have terrible results which people often take years to deal with. There's powerful, powerful forces working against all that, not least of which the predatory chancers, at best, like the guy in Dazed and Confused who hangs out hitting on people very much his junior boasting that while he gets older they stay the same age, and the out and out drugging, raping variety of predators, and you'll get each of those within the peer groups of young adults in any audience of a class like the one under discussion.

That's before you get into the waivers and contracts any teacher who'd want to teach a class like this would need, and who the hell as an adult is going to want to take a class like that? Seriously, leave themselves vulnerable to the sorts of allegations which could follow? They'd need their heads examined.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    There are plenty of things encountered in school that students don't want to learn, and have no desire to go beyond it. Doesn't matter though, they are still expected to know it.
    Well that's alright man, compell you the kids to learn about homosexuality. We'll see how it turns out.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well that's alright man, compell you the kids to learn about homosexuality. We'll see how it turns out.
    It will turn out quite fine.

Likes Chanaynay liked this post