User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm being perfectly fair about this, I dont mind if liberal parents want to pull their children from a class which reflects heteronormativity if they like and confuse them by teaching them that dad and mommy's relationship, what they've known up until then as the norm, may not be the norm because the possible harm would be restricted to the liberal households and there'd hopefully be a majority, not influenced by ideology, who'd be unaffected by it all and able to reproduce sorts of social norms liberals benefit from in others and can spend their time rebelling against.
    Please. You just sound ridiculous. There is more out there than the "norm" you know. Learning that is what learning is. I go right back to what I originally said in this thread - I don't find things outside the norm of my home to be threatening. I value my children and their intelligence enough to be willing to teach them the differences in people, not perpetuate ignorance by "shielding" them from those differences.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hard, headlessredhead liked this post

I especially liked the part where he said "you can be open-minded... without wanting your impressionable children to be schooled". Uh-huh.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Children and teenagers are not fools. They know these things exist and it's more than just black vs white, left vs right, etc.
    I'm just saying that there should be an opportunity for education here, so that people can shed light on these subjects that shouldn't even be taboo in the first place. Sex is natural and should be talked about, rather than shamed and ignored.
    Ignorance will never solve anything.
    "If you ever look up into the sky, doubting the existence of other worlds, just know that somewhere, a creature is looking up at it's sky, doubting you." -Night Vale

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Please. You just sound ridiculous. There is more out there than the "norm" you know. Learning that is what learning is. I go right back to what I originally said in this thread - I don't find things outside the norm of my home to be threatening. I value my children and their intelligence enough to be willing to teach them the differences in people, not perpetuate ignorance by "shielding" them from those differences.
    Shesh Ceecee, be nice.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I especially liked the part where he said "you can be open-minded... without wanting your impressionable children to be schooled". Uh-huh.
    Why so? Did you think there's a contradiction there?

I dont see being open minded and being schooled as the same thing, I dont see education and schooling as the same thing either. You read any Ivan Illich?

Most people who pride themselves on being open minded just have a particular set of blinkers which they arent aware of and think everyone else should have likewise.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    Children and teenagers are not fools. They know these things exist and it's more than just black vs white, left vs right, etc.
    I'm just saying that there should be an opportunity for education here, so that people can shed light on these subjects that shouldn't even be taboo in the first place. Sex is natural and should be talked about, rather than shamed and ignored.
    Ignorance will never solve anything.
    I wouldnt say they are fools, just children and teenagers, so they arent adults, they're at a certain stage of maturation and its not fair to have the same expectations of them as any else. Its why children and teenagers, not fools, are not expected to vote, have children of their own, work even or fight wars in most of the developed world.

Its pretty black and white to suppose there's a dichotomy of education vs. taboo, natural vs. shame and ignorance. I'm not being clever or trying to make you look ill informed on this topic, I just understand it as being much more nuanced and complex than you are making out.

If you're designing a curriculum are you going to make it reflective of the minority or the majority? How is it likely to affect the minority or majority if you design it one way or another? I think those are the sorts of questions which are valid on this topic but treating the LGBT politics in terms of minority-majority relations doesnt sit well with a lot of LGBT activists and their fellow travellers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If I'm designing a curriculum for young people, I'm going to do my best to address both the majority and the minority among them. Why would I purposefully leave anyone out?

MBTI
    yupp

I thought this was the exercise thread, and so i was like why is ivy designing exercises for the forum then i realized it's the sex ed thread, and I agree.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If I'm designing a curriculum for young people, I'm going to do my best to address both the majority and the minority among them. Why would I purposefully leave anyone out?
    I hope you wouldnt wind up alienating the majority and animating them to despise the minority in a fashion they hadnt even thought about before hand. Good luck with that though.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I thought this was the exercise thread, and so i was like why is ivy designing exercises for the forum then i realized it's the sex ed thread, and I agree.
    I think that designing an exercise curriculum would be a better idea to be honest.

Imagine if there was something like cross fit in the schools or a fully equipped gym with cardio machines?

I'd have left school much, much fitter than I did and probably could have avoided diabetes altogether.

Although we never had decent showering facilities or changing rooms so that would have had to be fixed first.