User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 98

  1. #11
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    In light of recent events in the lgbtq+ community (look up Leelah Alcorn) there's been a lot of talk about what we should be teaching in sex education classes. (Mostly in America) A lot of people are calling for more lgbtq+ issues to be talked about in health/sex ed, including sexual safety, gender and gender identity, basically stuff beyond heteronormative stuff that is usually talked about.
    However, to do that we kind of have to talk about sex, rather than spewing this old abstinence stupid.
    So my question is: Should we expand sex ed to teach all genders/sexualities? If so, how? If not, then why?
    Opinions anyone?
    My sex ed class in high school addressed various sexual activities that could create a kid, or contract diseases. The various activities that can lead to STD's were discussed sort of universally. IE, you go down on someone with sexually transmitted disease.. you increase your chances of contracting it yourself. You mash genitals onto other wet orifices, well.. you get the picture. There were openly gay students in my classes in HS (back in 2001-2002). No one was confused about it. It's pretty simple. Interact with other people's junk without protection, make poor judgement calls, and bad things will probably happen. No one got too hung up on who was banging what. We just were taught about the human reproductive systems, sexual response cycles in both male & female bodies, & sex acts that could lead to children or STDs, and how to be responsible.

    Is this really a taboo thing in other schools?

    I miss the amazing, outrageously graphic STD photo slideshows in that class. Ah, memories..

    Gender identity was discussed in my psychology class in senior year, incidentally. I see no issue with having that brought up in at least some sort of course in high school by a very qualified person.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  2. #12
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    If they teach that you should use lube when doing anal, that you can get stds on anal etc, what difference does it make whether the receiving end is guy or a girl? Similarly if they teach that you can get std from eating pussy and that you can cut a condom in half and eat thought it to not get stds, what difference does it make whether the giving end is a guy or a girl?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  3. #13
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    If they teach that you should use lube when doing anal, that you can get stds on anal etc, what difference does it make whether the receiving end is guy or a girl? Similarly if they teach that you can get std from eating pussy and that you can cut a condom in half and eat thought it to not get stds, what difference does it make whether the giving end is a guy or a girl?
    Iirc correctly we're taught mainly what happens as the result of penis into vagina sex and oral the rest no mention
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #14
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    We were taught the mechanics of sexuality in school, but nothing about the psychology of sexuality, and absolutely nothing about the social psychology of sexuality.

    This does seem of a piece in the society we live in which is brilliant in building infrastructure but strikingly hopeless in the psychology of persons inhabiting this brilliant infrastructure.

    The disconnect between the outside mechanical world and the personal psychological world is almost complete.

    And indeed mbti provides us with a mechanical infrastructure for the person. It seems we can only deal with the mechanical and not the personal.

  5. #15
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well that's alright man, compell you the kids to learn about homosexuality. We'll see how it turns out.
    Well my kids have turned out fine where this is concerned. Of course I don't see homosexuality and knowledge as anything dangerous or threatening. That probably had something to do with them turning out fine.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  6. #16
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headlessredhead View Post
    In light of recent events in the lgbtq+ community (look up Leelah Alcorn) there's been a lot of talk about what we should be teaching in sex education classes. (Mostly in America) A lot of people are calling for more lgbtq+ issues to be talked about in health/sex ed, including sexual safety, gender and gender identity, basically stuff beyond heteronormative stuff that is usually talked about.
    However, to do that we kind of have to talk about sex, rather than spewing this old abstinence stupid.
    So my question is: Should we expand sex ed to teach all genders/sexualities? If so, how? If not, then why?
    Opinions anyone?
    I found the science-based stuff about my own body super helpful when I was showed it in elementary school.. it isn't really something I had access to at the time via the internet. I think the internet can be super useful now-a-days in sex education, and I think the things should switch to informative in nature + resources for students.

    Tell them young what their bodies will potentially go through.
    Tell them a little bit more each year--where to go for condoms, how to tell their parents they are going to have sex, where to go if they feel something is wrong, what to say and do if someone does something they don't like at all.

    Give plenty of safe havens and non-judgments and it usually goes smoothly. I don't remember any crazy sex-ed class growing up at all (they left it up to the parents here entirely) but they definitely were sure to not blind side us girls about puberty.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Well my kids have turned out fine where this is concerned. Of course I don't see homosexuality and knowledge as anything dangerous or threatening. That probably had something to do with them turning out fine.
    I know you view these things very differently to me and have very little interest in the other side of the story to what you already think.

    I'm glad your kids have turned out fine.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We were taught the mechanics of sexuality in school, but nothing about the psychology of sexuality, and absolutely nothing about the social psychology of sexuality.

    This does seem of a piece in the society we live in which is brilliant in building infrastructure but strikingly hopeless in the psychology of persons inhabiting this brilliant infrastructure.

    The disconnect between the outside mechanical world and the personal psychological world is almost complete.

    And indeed mbti provides us with a mechanical infrastructure for the person. It seems we can only deal with the mechanical and not the personal.
    I'm inclined to agree with that, I like a lot of authors whose point of departure in social criticism was precisely that, development in technology or material development, while not shared by everyone to any extent, has, for them, far outstripped development of the person or self to humankind's detriment.

    I dont believe its the fault of the schools or further and higher education though, a lot of these things are in flux or fluid, they are rightly disputed and then disputed again, what appears one moment as a step forward is often a set back. I feel that the substitution of political correctness for discriminatory thinking in many respects has not been progress at all.

    That's all taking place within the sphere of the intelligentsia and academia too, expand that to the rest of society and you have a recipe for an ill informed and emotive disaster, its already happening but making it part of the curriculum for people at an impressionable or delinquent age and it will be accelerated ten fold.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It will turn out quite fine.
    Well I guess liberals wont be able to pose as free thinking resisters of brainwashing so there's a silver lining, the fight back can begin.

    Thinks get worse before they get better.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I don't know if you could ever "teach all genders/sexualities", I don't think it's possible, there's such a broad spectrum that you couldn't possibly give them all air time. I think the best you could hope for is to touch on the fact that not all people are cis-gendered heterosexuals, some are homosexual, some don't identify as the gender that matches their organs, etc. and that's okay, be respectful of people's differences. I don't think you could ever pare down the teaching of basic biology and 'mechanics' of heterosexual, penis-in-vagina sex, which might come across to an LGBTQ student as oppressively heteronormative. Frankly teaching sexual reproduction is essential, it's too important not to be the focus of a lot of sex ed.


    I'm not American so I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've heard from others I think sex-ed as taught in many places in the US needs to be broadened to hit basic things like using contraceptives before trying to tackle LGBTQ issues.

Similar Threads

  1. Ending The Educational Industrial Complex In America
    By Beorn in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 12:28 AM
  2. My wieners in America
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 04:07 AM
  3. Taxes and the Middle Class in America
    By Samuel De Mazarin in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM
  4. Survey on faith in America
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 03:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO