Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    But you had an actual (even if coded) discussion that vaguely addressed sexual things? Because the only thing I remember is an ambiguously titled "Health" semester where they gave me a text book and had me write some questions to turn in every week. I made 99 on that final because the teacher gave us the test with the answers the day before. There were 50 questions.
    Now I'm questioning whether I actually got that particular sex ed stuff in high school. I remember pictures of diseases or something, but not much else.

Maybe what I described was picked up from every other single resource that was available in the south. That seems more likely.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    yeah, i don't know how much of the sexual education one receives comes from Sex Ed. but i'm always all for expanding things to reflect a more realistic profile of what actually IS rather than portraying an image that someone decided is how things SHOULD be.
    The whole idea of "sex ed" sets it up for failure. We put this big, controversial label on it and segregate it from other knowledge as if it is somehow different, open to public debate. The only other topic in education that generates anywhere near this response is evolution.

We should forget "sex ed" per se and simply put it where it belongs, as part of an integrated health curriculum. We should teach people about how the human body works from stem to stern (a true "body owner's manual"), with emphasis on how to care for it and stay healthy and fit. This includes nutrition, exercise, hygiene, and sexuality. It also includes mental and emotional health: navigating relationships, standing up to peer pressure, handling failure/discouragement, and knowing when you (or a friend) need help. Some schools break off this last part into a "life decision making" or "life skills" class - that's fine, as long as it's covered.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The whole idea of "sex ed" sets it up for failure. We put this big, controversial label on it and segregate it from other knowledge as if it is somehow different, open to public debate. The only other topic in education that generates anywhere near this response is evolution.

We should forget "sex ed" per se and simply put it where it belongs, as part of an integrated health curriculum. We should teach people about how the human body works from stem to stern (a true "body owner's manual"), with emphasis on how to care for it and stay healthy and fit. This includes nutrition, exercise, hygiene, and sexuality. It also includes mental and emotional health: navigating relationships, standing up to peer pressure, handling failure/discouragement, and knowing when you (or a friend) need help. Some schools break off this last part into a "life decision making" or "life skills" class - that's fine, as long as it's covered.
    We had something like that in elementary school, but unfortunately, it was mostly about not doing drugs. The message was essentially "all you need to do to not be a fuck-up is to not do drugs." People ended up doing them anyway.

We did get a thing about puberty for the boys and the girls (with sexes separated) around fifth grade, but it wasn't very informative and danced around the topic too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We should forget "sex ed" per se and simply put it where it belongs, as part of an integrated health curriculum. We should teach people about how the human body works from stem to stern (a true "body owner's manual"), with emphasis on how to care for it and stay healthy and fit. This includes nutrition, exercise, hygiene, and sexuality. It also includes mental and emotional health: navigating relationships, standing up to peer pressure, handling failure/discouragement, and knowing when you (or a friend) need help.
    [interject]And this is exactly what the new Ontario sex ed I posted about earlier is: part of a comprehensive health curriculum.[/interject]

Carry on.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    We had something like that in elementary school, but unfortunately, it was mostly about not doing drugs. The message was essentially "all you need to do to not be a fuck-up is to not do drugs." People ended up doing them anyway.

We did get a thing about puberty for the boys and the girls (with sexes separated) around fifth grade, but it wasn't very informative and danced around the topic too much.
    You know, I don't recall a lot of what was taught, except that we had a book. Fortunately I had parents who, if they didn't have a correct answer for me, would find the correct answer for me. That's what I told my own kids too.

Teaching kids something inaccurate, ignorant, full of fear and guilt or simply not teaching them anything is the same as neglectful parenting and teaching. That's child abuse to some degree and you can't use a personal agenda to wriggle out of that one. A penis is a penis is a penis - religion, belief or that word making someone uncomfortable doesn't change the fact that it's still a penis and it works the same way even if you pretend it's not there.

I don't particularity want schools to HAVE to teach these things across the board and because (in the US anyway) there is no uniform curriculum for it, it's a crap shoot. Unfortunately, certain segments of the population, the ones often screaming the loudest about what is being taught, are the REASON sex ed exists to begin with.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    A penis is a penis is a penis - religion, belief or that word making someone uncomfortable doesn't change the fact that it's still a penis and it works the same way even if you pretend it's not there.
    Yeah but if you teach the kids what a penis is they're more likely to use theirs! OMG teenz pragnant!! If you teach them about t3h gayz they're more likely to become t3h gay!!

You know what'll happen if little boys and girls learn what body parts are called? They won't grow up sounding like a complete fucking doofus in a court of law:

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I need someone to 'sex-ed' me. The bad cartoon video at school was no good and never contacted me again.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post