User Tag List

123 Last

Default Terrorist Attack on Parisian Magazine

BBC News - Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

The only rational response to this is for the French to put Muhammad on their damn stamps.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I think you got the thread title wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I think you got the thread title wrong.
    ?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm running on no sleep so I'm not at my most perceptive right now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Say it with me, Islam is a religion of peace
    Likes riva, johnnyyukon, countrygirl liked this post

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

There's absolutely no justification for this barbaric behaviour.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Say it with me, Islam is a religion of peace
    Gun attack of peace.
    Likes Rasofy, Cellmold liked this post

Very disappointing to see media refusing to print this Charlie hebdo cartoon that caused the attack:

Even while his bosses give in to terror Ross Douthat nails this issue:

In the wake of the vicious murders at the offices of the satirical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo today, let me offer three tentative premises about blasphemy in a free society.

1) The right to blaspheme (and otherwise give offense) is essential to the liberal order.

2) There is no duty to blaspheme, a society’s liberty is not proportional to the quantity of blasphemy it produces, and under many circumstances the choice to give offense (religious and otherwise) can be reasonably criticized as pointlessly offensive, needlessly cruel, or simply stupid.

3) The legitimacy and wisdom of such criticism is generally inversely proportional to the level of mortal danger that the blasphemer brings upon himself.

We are in a situation where my third point applies, because the kind of blasphemy that Charlie Hebdo engaged in had deadly consequences, as everyone knew it could … and that kind of blasphemy is precisely the kind that needs to be defended, because it’s the kind that clearly serves a free society’s greater good. If a large enough group of someones is willing to kill you for saying something, then it’s something that almost certainly needs to be said, because otherwise the violent have veto power over liberal civilization, and when that scenario obtains it isn’t really a liberal civilization any more. Again, liberalism doesn’t depend on everyone offending everyone else all the time, and it’s okay to prefer a society where offense and outrage for its own sake is limited rather than pervasive. But when offenses are policed by murder, that’s when we need more of them, not less, because the murderers cannot be allowed for a single moment to think that their strategy can succeed.

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-we-need/?_r=1

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Some of the on the street comments gathered by the BBC today was way more sophisticated than I've heard from any english speaking world comment in the wake of something like this.

There was one guy who said he didnt think the attack was anything to do with blasphemy, the supposedly blasphemous piece was ran more than a year ago, he said that he thought the perpetrators probably didnt care about that, it was a pretext, violent people just need an excuse, maybe their identity was threatened or whatever but that wasnt it in his opinion.

Another guy said about how he didnt think it was a freedom of speech or freedom of press issue per se but an attack on democracy, the principle of democracy being the limiting of power, that no one have absolute power, including the press, but when someone begins wielding guns or violence they were claiming absolute power.

I was impressed, impressed that the people seemed more articulate than the broad sweep of individuals I see on most UK and US media, certainly more articulate than northern irish or ROI commentators, definitely more so than NI but then I'm a bit bitter about NI these days. Although I thought the first point was the most important, these groups, I dont suspect there's a lot of analysis carried out by these sorts of people, they just need an excuse.

Another piece I saw shared on facebook talked about how al quida and other groups like it have jumped the shark in terms of their relevance or appeal to most islamic communities globally, what they are trying to provoke are the public and extreme right to get a profile and new recruits. Which is sort of disgusting all by itself, the worst elements of society thriving of one another and needing one another to continue their existence.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Very disappointing to see media refusing to print this Charlie hebdo cartoon that caused the attack:

Even while his bosses give in to terror Ross Douthat nails this issue:

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-we-need/?_r=1
    To be honest this is just a pretext for violence.

The thing about freedom of speech is that while you are free to say something you can be sure that others are free to say the opposite, which I suspect wouldnt ever suffice for these sorts of elements because it would solicit no reaction or not the sort of reaction they would want.

I've heard some pretty interesting things in the wake of this, how a secular or secularist society responds to violence prompted by accusations of blasphemy can be sort of interesting, or at least liberal secularist maybe, while its not comparable to acts of violence, there are some advocates which endorse social or normative controls of speech, even legal censorship, of highly, you would have thought, illiberal sorts. So it might just matter what the key words or trigger words or images are.

The sooner we can get this bred out humankind the better.