User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 188

  1. #61
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    ~600 years ago, Christians weren't much better.
    The Armenian genocide started in 1915. That's a hundred years ago. Here's what wikipedia had to say about it:

    "The total number of people killed as a result has been estimated at between 1 and 1.5 million. Other indigenous and Christian ethnic groups such as the Assyrians and the Ottoman Greeks were similarly targeted for extermination by the Ottoman government, and their treatment is considered by many historians to be part of the same genocidal policy"

    Muslims also persecuted the Baha'is:

    "Starting in the twentieth century, in addition to repression that impacted individual Bahá'ís, centrally directed campaigns that targeted the entire Bahá'í community and its institutions were initiated.[118] In one case in Yazd in 1903 more than 100 Bahá'ís were killed."

    Last week, ISIS killed about 150 Yazidi women for refusing to marry them.

    No other religion today behaves like this. (Unless you count the Serb massacre of muslims at Srebenica as a Christian act.)
    Last edited by Tellenbach; 12-20-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Just remembered somehting
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  2. #62
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
    Terror is forbidden in Islam. :|
    So such title is incorrect.
    With all my respect for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Alas, Jihad, or Holy War to spread Islam, has been part of Islam since the Prophet moved to Medina.

    Jihad has been enormously successful in spreading Islam from Spain to Indonesia.

    And conservatively, today 20% of muslims are Jihadis or Islamists.
    Haha best, yet the simplest counter argument against Islam's anti terror claims. The holiest of the holy cities of Islam was captured and converted by using terror.

    However, It's a bit unfair to paint this particular incident as an act of Islamic terror. He was clearly acting alone and was mentally off. Mentally off, shunned by his own society, sexually frustrated and was ON BAIL FOR MURDER??? Wtf?

    Granting such men (I am talking about accusations of killing his ex-wife here) bail is such a terrible loophole in the justice system. When I heard he was on bail for killing his wife, it made me so disappointed and angry.

    Also from where the fuck did he find a gun?
    .

  3. #63
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    And actually, yes, science IS practiced in islamic countries.
    Today, however, the spirit of science in the Muslim world is as dry as the desert. Pakistani physicist Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy laid out the grim statistics in a 2007 Physics Today article: Muslim countries have nine scientists, engineers, and technicians per thousand people, compared with a world average of forty-one. In these nations, there are approximately 1,800 universities, but only 312 of those universities have scholars who have published journal articles. Of the fifty most-published of these universities, twenty-six are in Turkey, nine are in Iran, three each are in Malaysia and Egypt, Pakistan has two, and Uganda, the U.A.E., Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan, and Azerbaijan each have one.

    There are roughly 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, but only two scientists from Muslim countries have won Nobel Prizes in science (one for physics in 1979, the other for chemistry in 1999). Forty-six Muslim countries combined contribute just 1 percent of the world’s scientific literature; Spain and India each contribute more of the world’s scientific literature than those countries taken together. In fact, although Spain is hardly an intellectual superpower, it translates more books in a single year than the entire Arab world has in the past thousand years. “Though there are talented scientists of Muslim origin working productively in the West,” Nobel laureate physicist Steven Weinberg has observed, “for forty years I have not seen a single paper by a physicist or astronomer working in a Muslim country that was worth reading.”

    Comparative metrics on the Arab world tell the same story. Arabs comprise 5 percent of the world’s population, but publish just 1.1 percent of its books, according to the U.N.’s 2003 Arab Human Development Report. Between 1980 and 2000, Korea granted 16,328 patents, while nine Arab countries, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the U.A.E., granted a combined total of only 370, many of them registered by foreigners. A study in 1989 found that in one year, the United States published 10,481 scientific papers that were frequently cited, while the entire Arab world published only four. This may sound like the punch line of a bad joke, but when Nature magazine published a sketch of science in the Arab world in 2002, its reporter identified just three scientific areas in which Islamic countries excel: desalination, falconry, and camel reproduction. The recent push to establish new research and science institutions in the Arab world — described in these pages by Waleed Al-Shobakky (see “Petrodollar Science,” Fall 2008) — clearly still has a long way to go.


    Postscript: I would be grateful if you would cease and desist from calling me a liar. It is against the rules and may lead to banning. And, although you won't appreciate this: it is unparliamentary.

  4. #64
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Postscript: I would be grateful if you would cease and desist from calling me a liar. It is against the rules and may lead to banning. And, although you won't appreciate this: it is unparliamentary.
    Your information actually does show that muslim countries do practice science. It's not very good compared to the rest of the world, but it IS still science, and it is still practiced. There is a muslim researcher who was born and raised in Egypt in my research lab, there are several others in our department from other countries getting their PhD's. There are MANY throughout the world. Again, you just have an axe to grind.

    If you say something that is a lie, I am going to call it out. I didn't call you a liar, what I said is that your statement is. By all means report my posts if you think they're out of line. If they are the mods will deal with them accordingly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  5. #65
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Your information actually does show that muslim countries do practice science. It's not very good compared to the rest of the world, but it IS still science, and it is still practiced. There is a muslim researcher who was born and raised in Egypt in my research lab, there are several others in our department from other countries getting their PhD's. There are MANY throughout the world. Again, you just have an axe to grind.

    If you say something that is a lie, I am going to call it out. I didn't call you a liar, what I said is that your statement is. By all means report my posts if you think they're out of line. If they are the mods will deal with them accordingly.
    Perhaps you just don't understand: personal insults, such as calling someone a liar, is against the rules of Typology Central and may lead to banning.

    And you let yourself down when you call someone a liar.

  6. #66
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Perhaps you just don't understand: personal insults, such as calling someone a liar, is against the rules of Typology Central and may lead to banning.

    And you let yourself down when you call someone a liar.
    Is there an echo in here? I think there's an echo in here. If you want to play that game I actually find your little statements like this insulting and have since I saw you making them long ago. It's passive aggressive and trite. You're not arbiter of what the rules are, the mods are. Making statements like that seeks to inflame people, does no benefit, and at best comes across as back-seat modding. I've actually been scolded for doing the latter before.

    Again, I will repeat myself. At no point did I call you a liar, I said that the statement you made was a lie. In fact, it is, and it's been objectively shown to be. Nor did I make to be a personal insult. Trust me, you'd know if I made one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  7. #67
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Your information actually does show that muslim countries do practice science. It's not very good compared to the rest of the world, but it IS still science, and it is still practiced. There is a muslim researcher who was born and raised in Egypt in my research lab, there are several others in our department from other countries getting their PhD's. There are MANY throughout the world. Again, you just have an axe to grind.
    I have only quoted the fact about science in Islamic countries below.

    And as you testify the Islamic scientists you are familiar with in your department and throughout the world are working, not in Islamic countries, but in the West, right next to you.

    And it is not just science, Islamic countries publish a risible number of books per year compared to even one country such as Spain.

    And at a time when Islamic terrorists are killing Australians and planning to kill more, I don't take kindly to anyone coming to the defence of Islamic terror.

  8. #68
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I have only quoted the fact about science in Islamic countries below.

    And as you testify the Islamic scientists you are familiar with in your department and throughout the world are working, not in Islamic countries, but in the West, right next to you.

    And it is not just science, Islamic countries publish a risible number of books per year compared to even one country such as Spain.

    And at a time when Islamic terrorists are killing Australians and planning to kill more, I don't take kindly to anyone coming to the defence of Islamic terror.
    You operate under the assumption that anyone whom is muslim is bad, and you're conflating my defense of muslims who practice science with terrorism, which is just a plain non sequitur. That is not how it is, and it's not how the world works. I will agree the science (and lack thereof) in muslim countries is pretty damn bad, and much of it is due to the poor culture, economic stress, and negative influences of sects of islam there and inter-religious conflict. But, the fact of the matter is some of it still does happen. You painted everything with such a broad brush and it is and was unfair to do so, which is why I pointed that out.

    Also, the person in my lab, and the majority in my department got their undergraduate degrees in their home countries.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes Oaky liked this post

  9. #69
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Perhaps you just don't understand: personal insults, such as calling someone a liar, is against the rules of Typology Central and may lead to banning.

    And you let yourself down when you call someone a liar.
    Victor you have to stop using that line over and over again.

    It's more funny that effective.

    Infact it doesn't seem to be effective at all.
    .

  10. #70
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Federal and New South Wales Police have conducted raids based on further evidence of a terrorist cell in Sydney.

    So far the Police have brought number of terrorist cells before the criminal courts and got convictions and jail terms. But they advise they wouldn't be able to stop all and every terrorist attack.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Sex the Primary Motive for Islamic Terrorism?
    By Crabs in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM
  2. Present-day Hatred in Australia
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
  3. Massive Oil Reserve Discovered In Australia
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
  4. I have cousins in australia that i've never met
    By prplchknz in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
  5. Islamic terrorism and the silent majority.
    By Feops in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO