User Tag List

Default Satan, Self-Esteem and Divorce

Four hundred years ago John Milton was born, almost to the day.

John Milton wrote, "Paradise Lost", and gave us Satan, who said immortally, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven".

But John Milton also whispers in your ear in the classroom every time your teacher boosts your self-esteem. For John Milton not only invented Satan, he also invented the word, "self-esteem".

And you are not safe in your own home for John Milton also invented the idea of divorce based on mutual incompatibility.

So not only did John Milton give us Satan, he undermined our self-respect by giving us self-esteem. And he destroyed our homes by giving us divorce.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And you are not safe in your own home for John Milton also invented the idea of divorce based on mutual incompatibility.
    Damn that John Milton, damn everyone who won't damn John Milton! :steam:

The Perp.
    Last edited by heart; 08-15-2008 at 07:30 PM.

I'm pretty sure there's been divorce for as long as there has been marriage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Wow. The father of Satan is a guy with girl hair. Somehow I thought he'd be more imposing.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's been divorce for as long as there has been marriage.
    You're quite right. Milton didn't invent divorce but he did invent the idea of divorce based on mutual incompatibility.

heart on fire

Well, victor then tell us what is to be gained by keeping incompatible people locked into an unhappy marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Wow. The father of Satan is a guy with girl hair. Somehow I thought he'd be more imposing.
    Usually we expect evil to disguise itself - deception is its trademark.

So when evil comes out quite openly and says, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven", it is imposing.

And John Milton has imposed himself on us for 400 years. He has imposed Satan on us. He has imposed self-esteem on us. And he has imposed the modern idea of divorce.

Sure, he does have girl hair, but I have girl hair too.

And I like girls and they like me.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So when evil comes out quite openly and says, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven", it is imposing.

And John Milton has imposed himself on us for 400 years. He has imposed Satan on us. He has imposed self-esteem on us. And he has imposed the modern idea of divorce.

You've totally misunderstood Milton's "Satan", taken it all too literally.

The hell that Satan rules over in Paradise Lost is the trap of Satan's own mind, created a hell because of his own delusions and narcissism. I don't think Milton is advocating for Satan when he shows us this. He shows us the difference between Satan and Adam, Adam merely lacks knowledge of self, but Satan is too self-absorbed to ever be able to gain perspective on self, Adam has hope, Adam can fall to greater heights of self awareness and in his fall learns much while Satan merely falls into delusion and greater self-worship, thus making his own hell.

It can teach us all something about our own pitfalls and shortcomings. Of course Milton has a sympathetic tone towards his Satan, it is because it is more of an symbol of the narcissism in all of us that may be our undoing if we allow it to rule us, to rule over the hell we'd create in our own minds.