User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From USA Today: When rape matters, and when it doesn't

The Washington Post's Erik Wemple wrote: "The next time Erdely writes a big story, she'll have to do a better job of camouflaging her proclivity to stereotype. Here, she refuses to evaluate the alleged gang rapists as individuals, instead opting to fold them into the caricature of the 'elitist fraternity culture,' and all its delicious implications." His evaluation: "Anyone who touched this story — save newsstand personnel — should lose their job." And even the newsstand folks might want to wash their hands.

Meanwhile, two other recent rape cases, despite far more factual foundation, have gotten almost no traction in the national press. In Oregon, a top Obama fund-raiser, Terry Bean, was arrested on child rape charges. Bean, a longtime gay rights activist and bundler, who raised over half a million dollars for President Obama's 2012 campaign, would seem to be a newsworthy figure. An alleged child rapist who has traveled on Air Force One isn't something that happens every day. But the story got almost no national attention.

Likewise, Donny Ray Williams pled guilty to sexually assaulting two women while serving as a staff director for the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee. In one case, Williams is charged with drugging a woman and raping her while she was unconscious. In a rather generous plea bargain deal, he somehow avoided any jail time. Yet The Washington Post treated this as a local crime story, and it, too, got almost no national attention.

What's the difference? A cynic — and I've become pretty cynical lately as I observe these things — might conclude that the U.Va. rape story was hyped because it fit a preferred narrative: Evil white patriarchal privilege and the war on women. (It even fit in with a White House campaign on campus sexual assault that had U.Va. connections, extending directly to "Jackie," the Rolling Stone's victim/subject.)

The Bean and Williams rape cases, on the other hand, merely reflected badly on Democrats. The press isn't all that interested in stories that reflect badly on Democrats, it seems. And so these stories got buried in the "local crime" spot.

Are all rapes equally bad? Not in the eyes of the news media. And that's pretty bad itself.

An eye opening perspective, for sure

Trauma and Memory: Why Rape Victims Don't Report and Why Details Can Be Hazy

Rolling Stone magazine's move to backpedal its story about a University of Virginia student's alleged gang rape has put another twist in the shocking narrative. But as the story unfolds, experts say people should keep in mind that trauma victims' memories are often imperfect.

The victim, identified in a December Rolling Stone article as "Jackie," told the publication that she was raped by seven members of a UVA Phi Kappa Psi fraternity in 2012, but the Washington Post raised several questions about Jackie's story regarding the number of assailants, where she was attacked and who attacked her.

Many trauma victims don't clearly remember certain details of what happened to them, said Dr. Phillip Resnick, who directs the forensic psychiatry program at UH Case Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio, and is not involved in the UVA case. For example, victims who have been robbed at gunpoint might focus on the gun but not remember details of the robber's face, he said.

"This is an issue with all crime victims," he said. "It doesn't mean that the victim will be unreliable."

He said if a victim remembered a license plate number but was off by one digit, it wouldn't suggest false reporting, but hint at a memory distortion or omission.

Sexual assault victims often have a hard time recalling what happened leading up to or following the assault, regardless of whether they were drugged, said Jennifer Marsh, director of victim services at the anti-sexual assault group RAINN, which stands for Rape Abuse and Incest National Network.

Sexual assault victims may also try to fill in the gaps in their memories as they try to make sense of what happened to them, Marsh said. Sometimes victims do this because they're afraid that no one will believe them without a coherent story, she said. As a result, many law enforcement officials have been trained to see these memory gaps not as red flags but as "perfectly normal following a traumatic event."

Resnick also said an inability to remember some aspects of trauma is actually part of the diagnostic criterion for post-traumatic stress disorder, which The Post wrote Jackie told them she was diagnosed with following the rape. That doesn't mean all PTSD sufferers have memory loss, but it means it's common enough that it's listed in official diagnostic manuals as a symptom, he said.
    Continued: Trauma and Memory: Why Rape Victims Don't Report and Why Details Can Be Hazy - ABC News
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes chickpea, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What was the January 9th date?
    I dunno if this helps at all, that's typically when college kicks off the new semester. All the colleges I've attended begin on the 9th or somewhere close to there.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm sure UVA's president was under an extraordinary amount of outside pressure to DO SOMETHING!!!

Even so it was still an extreme overreach to shutdown everything. I would be much less aggravated had the pres just suspended Phi Psi pending further investigation.
    If she banned all fraternities forever? Yeah, sure, I could see it. Until January 9th during an investigative phase? It's... something. It isn't sooo bad, people aren't losing their frats or anything. And that's really the crux. Something needs to happen, and higher ups need to be held accountable. Not just from a "we want action waah!" stand point.. but from a proactive standpoint. Superiors typically need to show that they are taking steps to prevent something like this even IF the girl turned out to be false in her claims. The fact there was enough going on for suspicion is enough to warrant investigation on what they should do.

It's the same thing people are being told in the military too. The higher ups feel the heat of their joes doing stupid shit. And it sucks for everyone.. but if people acted right and had professionalism of their own accord, none of this would be necessary. Which brings me to my next point..

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Trauma and Memory: Why Rape Victims Don't Report and Why Details Can Be Hazy

Continued: Trauma and Memory: Why Rape Victims Don't Report and Why Details Can Be Hazy - ABC News
    That Beorn beat me to in the first place. I don't know the real investigation details, but some details being wrong, even bigger details, doesn't make her a liar alone. There must have been some big details twisted far out of proportion for RS to back-pedal, but people have been eyewitnesses, known eyewitnesses to crimes, and still gotten gross details wrong--race, color of the shirt, facial hair or not, etc.

There are.. half memories. Fractions of a memory. You don't remember enough to put it into words, you see a hazy picture in your mind. Your head can't process half a memory. It fills in the blanks whether you want it to or not, because half a memory doesn't translate. A thumb being the only thing you remember doesn't make sense when you say it out loud. You replay the details that are the strongest, you make a map of connections that make sense, and you stick to that.. otherwise it's just "I saw a thumb.. and then I heard groaning, and I think the coffee maker went off, and then I saw brown eyes." Like wtf are we suppose to make of that? Nothing. That doesn't describe anything, moreless what happened. The mind fills in the gaps. "I saw a white guy's thumb because his hand slipped up from covering my mouth, it was a man groaning, there was a beeping noise from the coffee he must have been brewing, and then he turned me around and I saw his face for a moment. He had brown eyes." All of those details could be potentially untrue for one reason or another, but based in reality.

It's difficult trying to determine who's telling the truth as it is, it's even harder when people don't even know they're lying about details.

It's controversial the idea of women protecting themselves from predators.. but I feel they aren't the only sex that needs proactive protective measures. Men absolutely should safeguard themselves and err on the side of caution in all situations. Women probably shouldn't walk alone even if it's super frowny-faced that that's a real thing that should happen when possible. Men should absolutely not put themselves into a situation that could put their whole livelihood in danger. Because people that cry rape are real, and out there, and it's such a serious charge, and the media looks for perfect candidates for their messages.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes chickpea, senza tema, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

^All good points. This is a case of unskilled and irresponsible reporting, compounded by a non-apology that threw in front of the bus a source who who may already have been a victim of something truly horrendous. And not only did the author go ahead with putting the source into the article after the source asked her not to, she used the source's FUCKING REAL FIRST NAME, allowing her to be easily identified by internet lowlifes/vigilantes. It's just breathtakingly bad journalism, IMO.
    Likes senza tema, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ^All good points. This is a case of unskilled and irresponsible reporting, compounded by a non-apology that threw in front of the bus a source who who may already have been a victim of something truly horrendous. And not only did the author go ahead with putting the source into the article after the source asked her not to, she used the source's FUCKING REAL FIRST NAME, allowing her to be easily identified by internet lowlifes/vigilantes. It's just breathtakingly bad journalism, IMO.
    Yeah, her career 'ending' hardly seems fair in comparison. @DiscoBiscuit is right, either way it goes it's terrible reporting and shady flimsy ends trying to be covered in the wake. The downside to proactivity is it's rarely ever TRULY proactive. Frats are going to organize, banning them doesn't do much honestly in comparison to strict standards, inspections, and campus-wide involvement. Keep the kids busy and active, otherwise they'll find ways to get into trouble. And frats actually offer a lot of super positive things for college life--like keeping kids from failing out, giving support structures, and community and camaraderie.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    That Beorn beat me to in the first place. I don't know the real investigation details, but some details being wrong, even bigger details, doesn't make her a liar alone. There must have been some big details twisted far out of proportion for RS to back-pedal, but people have been eyewitnesses, known eyewitnesses to crimes, and still gotten gross details wrong--race, color of the shirt, facial hair or not, etc.

There are.. half memories. Fractions of a memory. You don't remember enough to put it into words, you see a hazy picture in your mind. Your head can't process half a memory. It fills in the blanks whether you want it to or not, because half a memory doesn't translate. A thumb being the only thing you remember doesn't make sense when you say it out loud. You replay the details that are the strongest, you make a map of connections that make sense, and you stick to that.. otherwise it's just "I saw a thumb.. and then I heard groaning, and I think the coffee maker went off, and then I saw brown eyes." Like wtf are we suppose to make of that? Nothing. That doesn't describe anything, moreless what happened. The mind fills in the gaps. "I saw a white guy's thumb because his hand slipped up from covering my mouth, it was a man groaning, there was a beeping noise from the coffee he must have been brewing, and then he turned me around and I saw his face for a moment. He had brown eyes." All of those details could be potentially untrue for one reason or another, but based in reality.

It's difficult trying to determine who's telling the truth as it is, it's even harder when people don't even know they're lying about details.
    Yep.

Most people I've talked to in law enforcement (that includes my best friend and a friend from church) will tell you that witnesses are very unreliable and that most of the general public doesn't really understand that. My best friend does collision investigation and has worked thousands of crashes. He says it's not unusual to have a half dozen people witness a crash in a major intersection in broad daylight and give completely different and totally incompatible versions of what happened. Some stories are totally at odds with the physical evidence (skid marks, debris, location of the vehicles, etc.) and clearly impossible, so you can rule those out. Some are ambiguous.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Wow, Erdley graduated from the Penn school of Communication the same year as Stephen Glass.
    It gets weirder: Sabrina Erdely Was Once Disciplined By Stephen Glass For Fabrication
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You just couldn't make this shit up.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sounds like even if her career as a journalist is over, she's going to get a fiction publishing contract.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Beorn, SD45T-2 liked this post