First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Rolling Stone clarifies its apology on UVA story - Yahoo News

Dana's updated message added some details calling into question the magazine's original story. He noted that Phi Kappa Psi has denied the assault, and said it didn't host an event on the night Jackie alleged she was raped. And Dana said that Jackie is now unsure that the man who allegedly lured her into a room to be gang-raped by seven men, identified as "Drew," was a member of Phi Kappa Psi.

"According to the Washington Post, 'Drew' actually belongs to a different fraternity and when contacted by the paper, he denied knowing Jackie," Dana wrote in the new note. "Jackie told Rolling Stone that after she was assaulted, she ran into 'Drew' at a UVA pool where they both worked as lifeguards. In its statement, the Phi Psi says none of its members worked at the pool in the fall of 2012." Dana also cited the Post's account of several of Jackie's friends doubting her "narrative," although Jackie told the Post she stood by the account she gave to Rolling Stone.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Wow, Erdley graduated from the Penn school of Communication the same year as Stephen Glass.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    For me, the bigger issue is how "narratives" are beginning to carry the day more easily in this world of social media. If the story fits the narrative, it gets repeated and becomes part of the overall narrative. If it doesn't fit the narrative, it gets ignored.

Not that this never happened prior to social media, but I think social media accelerates the phenomenon, making the narratives even more persuasive (however temporarily) than before, because it isn't just talking heads on a TV any more. These are your FRIENDS saying these things.

Once in a while, the narrative backfires, as it did here, and in the Duke rape case. This, like the Duke rape case, will be ignored in years to come, as the narrative continues to thrive on a new set of convenient lies and half-truths.

None of this is to say that X or Y or Z or whatever the narrative is about isn't a problem. The problem is that the narrative does a disservice, polarizing communities over things in which they are actually in theoretical agreement. Everyone is against rape. Everyone is against racism and police brutality. Yet these narratives have to create villains that are somehow FOR the inexcusable crime, when the only disagreement is whether the allegations are true. The disservice done here is that it becomes a case of the boy crying wolf. If the big visible cases of rape charges are easily falsified (because they're proven to be lies or at best entirely unsubstantiated), then doesn't that have the very effect that those who wish to support the victims of rape would wish to avoid: that the victims won't come forward for fear of being disbelieved? The falsified narrative stories live on as much as the narrative itself.
    Correct: but this doesn't bother the promoters of the narrative, for they fold the reticence of (real) victims to come forward into an expanded version of the narrative: "The Rape Culture is so bad we need even MORE power and funding."

Remember that if you're not part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Ah, yes, so now hearsay is disposative.

Can the frat boys vouch for each other, that they are telling the truth, too?
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Ah, yes, so now hearsay is disposative.

Can the frat boys vouch for each other, that they are telling the truth, too?
    i didn't offer any commentary, just felt it was relevant. although frankly, i'm not too interested in what is legally admissible, as rapists seem to get away with their crimes fairly often. i can't see the motivation for a girl to completely fabricate a story like this, but nobody can know for sure what happened apart from those involved. if she wasn't raped and made it up for whatever reason, she did a lot of harm to women who've actually experienced sexual assault by giving more fuel to those who think every rape is made up.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    i didn't offer any commentary, just felt it was relevant. although frankly, i'm not too interested in what is legally admissible, as rapists seem to get away with their crimes fairly often. i can't see the motivation for a girl to completely fabricate a story like this, but nobody can know for sure what happened apart from those involved. if she wasn't raped and made it up for whatever reason, she did a lot of harm to women who've actually experienced sexual assault by giving more fuel to those who think every rape is made up.
    Hmm. You're right, there are increasing numbers of female school teachers who are molesting their underaged students. ("Inequities of power" as Anita Hill would say.)
    Or Hillary Clinton defending a child rapist; or the alleged attack of Bill Clinton on Juanita Brodderick ("better put some ice on that").
    And the problem isn't just in the United States, either; consider the Rotherham child rapes; or the "bring back our girls" Boko Haram episodes.
    Excellent point.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I can't see the motivation for a girl to completely fabricate a story like this.
    You vastly underestimate the ability and extent some people will go with a story and fabricate a national level lie. Just because you can't see it for yourself, does not mean it can't, or doesn't happen.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

More developments: The accuser has allegedly made similar accusations back in 2011 as part of a protest. I suppose it's possible that she was raped twice in 18 months, but statistically speaking, it's highly improbable.

BREAKING: Fraud #JackieCoakley Cried Rape BEFORE #UVAHoax

Updated Dec 9:

Got News admits they may have got the wrong person in the photo, lol

“Unlike Rolling Stone, I’m not going to wait days or weeks to retract what seems to be a mistake, I want to thank my readers for bringing it to my attention and be assured we will always be responsive to our readers concerns.

I apologize. I consulted with two photographic experts and I made a judgment call based on the evidence above. In the rush to publish, I screwed up and ask your forgiveness. This is a start up and while I’ve broken many stories before everyone else, I’m still human and make mistakes.
    Last edited by Tellenbach; 12-10-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Gotnews offered a retraction of article
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    You vastly underestimate the ability and extent some people will go with a story and fabricate a national level lie. Just because you can't see it for yourself, does not mean it can't, or doesn't happen.
    I'm not claiming to know her motivations, or what actually happened. Rolling Stone pulling the story certainly isn't 100% proof that she wasn't sexually assaulted either.