User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Well, looks like John Edwards is done. . .

Edwards admits to extramarital affair - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

Sleeping with another woman while his wife was battling cancer. I feel awful for his family.

I always hated John Edwards, BTW. He did the whole populist, "man of the people" demagogue thing, but he always struck me as a prototypical oily, scuzzy lawyer/politician.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

But but but but he's the son of a mill worker!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

I never saw him as a scuzzy lawyer. I am kind of surprised by this actually. But who knows, maybe this will up his cred as a "man of the people". Crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People are complex, I'm loathe to trash someone from afar when I haven't walked in their shoes or haven't observed them screwing up repeatedly over time.

But I'm severely disappointed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Asked whether the affair would damage Edwards' future aspirations in public service, Bonior replied: "You can't lie in politics and expect to have people's confidence."
    No, he means that you can't be caught in a lie and expect to have people's confidence. The most interesting thing in the article is that The Enquirer actually reported something that was true.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Yeap , elections are getting closer.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Okay, my tertiary Te says: Pfffft, let's be fair - I would venture a guess that almost all politicians have extramarital affairs. Although I clearly would never engage in extramarital activities (that goes against my moral standards), I wouldn't want the whole country knowing, either if I had.

My secondary Fi says: That being said, if he lied about it, it questions his credibility, for sure. It is a damned, damned, DAMNED low thing to do to have an extramarital affair in that situation. Okay, it is totally rough to see a loved one battle a disease, but that is the time to be strong. If he's weak in that situation, when else would he be weak?

And my speculative Ne says: The sad thing is that this is even a topic. I mean really. Who cares? - it is his personal life. Let's look at the big picture - is this even important in the grand scheme of things?

Politics. <sigh> I am glad it is not my field. Whatever possessed me to study the subject???? I should have studied languages - it would have brought me more.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Okay, my tertiary Te says: Pfffft, let's be fair - I would venture a guess that almost all politicians have extramarital affairs. Although I clearly would never engage in extramarital activities (that goes against my moral standards), I wouldn't want the whole country knowing, either if I had.
    One of the consequences of power and money is scrutiny. No way around it.

My secondary Fi says: That being said, if he lied about it, it questions his credibility, for sure. It is a damned, damned, DAMNED low thing to do to have an extramarital affair in that situation. Okay, it is totally rough to see a loved one battle a disease, but that is the time to be strong. If he's weak in that situation, when else would he be weak?
    What he did was really, really scumbaggy. And he was not reticent about discussing his wife and his children or trumpeting his family values in the political arena. The hypocrisy is brutal.

And my speculative Ne says: The sad thing is that this is even a topic. I mean really. Who cares? - it is his personal life. Let's look at the big picture - is this even important in the grand scheme of things?
    I think so. If a politician does something awful, something for which I would absolutely blast even a very close friend, I won't feel bad blasting him or her for it, too. If one of my buddies cheated on his wife (let alone cheated while she's fighting for her life against cancer), I'd be very hurt and angry.

Politics. <sigh> I am glad it is not my field. Whatever possessed me to study the subject???? I should have studied languages - it would have brought me more.
    I took some Poli Sci in university, too. It's a fascinating subject, even if I loathe most politicians, and I don't particularly care for government or authority in general.
    Last edited by pure_mercury; 08-18-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

I am shocked. He didn't seem like the lying sleazeball type at all.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

I agree with these two points. Sure, it can be quite a downer for his wife though what ultimately matters most his ability to lead. He may not be the best family man, but may be skilled in other areas. Some people are better with dealing in public affairs than private. For an example, as great as Gandhi was to his country, not much could be said the same for his dealings with his family.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.