User Tag List

123 Last

Retired

Smile President Obama Offers Legal Status to Millions of Undocumented Immigrants

President Obama tonight announced the most sweeping executive action on immigration in three decades, providing relief for an estimated 4.1 million undocumented parents of U.S. citizens and about 300,000 undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children.

"I know some of the critics of this action call it amnesty. Well, it’s not," the president said from the East Room of the White House. "Amnesty is the immigration system we have today -- millions of people who live here without paying their taxes or playing by the rules, while politicians use the issue to scare people and whip up votes at election time.

"That’s the real amnesty -- leaving this broken system the way it is," Obama said. "What I’m describing is accountability."

President Obama Offers Legal Status to Millions of Undocumented Immigrants - ABC News
    Likes LunaLuminosity, PocketFullOf liked this post

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

Cool. Does the OP have any thoughts regarding this issue?

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

A Bartletian move. I like it.
    Likes Floki liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    President Obama tonight announced the most sweeping executive action on immigration in three decades, providing relief for an estimated 4.1 million undocumented parents of U.S. citizens and about 300,000 undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children.

"I know some of the critics of this action call it amnesty. Well, it’s not," the president said from the East Room of the White House. "Amnesty is the immigration system we have today -- millions of people who live here without paying their taxes or playing by the rules, while politicians use the issue to scare people and whip up votes at election time.

"That’s the real amnesty -- leaving this broken system the way it is," Obama said. "What I’m describing is accountability."

President Obama Offers Legal Status to Millions of Undocumented Immigrants - ABC News
    I'm not a big anti-immigration person, but this rationale is total bullshit. Half of americans don't pay taxes as it is and he's telling me that these people make enough money that they're going to pay taxes after standard deductions and tax benefits. It's total bullshit. But, hey, as we learned with Gruber obfuscation and lack of transparency is a political advantage.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A Bartletian move. I like it.
    ...or a Cartmanesque move.

Welcome to the Eric Cartman Presidency

I see the much-anticipated day of President Obama’s coronation has finally arrived. You can’t say he didn’t warn us. In a sense, the motivations for this are the same as those which pushed President Bush to go against public opinion after the 2006 election, doubling down on the Iraq War and the surge. Of course, he convinced those elected politicians to go along with it, while President Obama can’t be bothered to do that. The audacity of it, though, is just remarkable. It’s as if on immigration, executive power, privacy, drones, gay marriage and Gitmo he’s rolled up his sleeves and is flashing his “What would Dick Cheney do” bracelet.

The Obama of 2008, the one who talked such a good game on fixing Washington, restoring constitutional order, and bipartisanship, who understood that this type of executive order is illegal, is truly gone forever. We’re left with the Eric Cartman presidency – “whatever, I do what I want.”
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, this part seems accurate:

"Undocumented workers broke our immigration laws, and I believe that they must be held accountable," Obama said. But "let’s be honest -- tracking down, rounding up, and deporting millions of people isn't realistic..."
    Probably won't cost as much as the Iraq and Afghanistan War, but it seems pretty crazy in terms of effort and cost to formulate a process, train people, and logistically find and move people out on that scale... and what's the gain?

The president's order will also extend legal status to a larger universe of so-called Dreamers, who first came to the U.S. illegally as children and either are attending school, have graduated high school or have served in the military. As many as 270,000 more undocumented immigrants will be able to apply for legal status under the program, which Obama first unveiled in 2012, administration officials said.
    Does the 270K describe the Dreamers, or are those in addition to? And if so, how many "Dreamers" are there? Those people actually would likely have better careers and be able to pay decent taxes.

EDIT: Well, hell. Sorry for ruining the tone of the thread by seriously trying to address / ask questions about the issue; I didn't know I was in Fluff.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes gromit, Floki, kyuuei liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Probably won't cost as much as the Iraq and Afghanistan War, but it seems pretty crazy in terms of effort and cost to formulate a process, train people, and logistically find and move people out on that scale... and what's the gain?
    Agreed. At the same time it would have seemed worthwhile to first spend more to secure the border especially when we've seen so many thousands of children separated from their parents in the past year as Obama telegraphed he was going to make this move.

In the end though I think ending the war on drugs will be the most helpful action to stop illegal immigration. I don't want masses of people to immigrate here because their own countries are being torn apart by US policies.

Does the 270K describe the Dreamers, or are those in addition to?
    Not sure.

And if so, how many "Dreamers" are there? Those people actually would likely have better careers and be able to pay decent taxes.
    Maybe some. But, given the minimum education/service is a two year degree or 2 years in the military I doubt many will be paying more than they take out in social services and benefits and certainly not enough will to make this a net gain even if you look many years down the road. My understanding is that all of the covered adults have children so you're looking at additional child income tax credits and deductions. Those add up quickly. A couple without children can make around $27k without paying taxes. A family of 6 can make $50k and still receive money back in income credits.

Permabanned

Does legal status mean a green card or full citizenship with the ability to vote? Specifically, would they be able to vote in the 2016 elections?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Does legal status mean a green card or full citizenship with the ability to vote? Specifically, would they be able to vote in the 2016 elections?
    Do read the article. Obama's not offering citizenship.

All immigrant applicants must have clean criminal records, provide their biometric information and pay a fee of around $500, officials said. The legal status will only last three years but can be renewed. The president's executive action does not create a pathway to citizenship or allow access to federal health care benefits.

The application process won't begin until the spring of 2015, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

In addition to deportation relief, Obama has also directed that immigration enforcement agencies focus on those who have committed felonies and those who have crossed the border within the last year. By forgoing crackdowns on those without criminal records and who have been here longer, the White House claimed it will be able to devote more resources to border enforcement and cracking down on those who pose a threat.
    Likes Floki, Ivy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    He is tricking illegals into registering themselves for future deportation.