User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Not at all; I consider the possibility that I might be wrong about every opinion I hold, but over the years, my beliefs have been reinforced time and time again by events I observe. When a person is right and proven right time and time again, they gain a little bit more confidence in the accuracy of their beliefs. By the way, I'm only confident in the few areas where I've been paying attention to and in those few areas, I'm completely objective.
    Confirmation bias.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy, Floki, Hard liked this post

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Why do you have such blatant disregard for the rule of law? Even Obama at least recognized this was a course of last resort.
    decades ago, police were called to a daycare where three-year-old me was resisting a rest.
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

MBTI
    ISTx

Yet, my sister's boyfriend who is hard working and law abiding and lives in England has been waiting for a year now to have his visa approved to move here. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Yet, my sister's boyfriend who is hard working and law abiding and lives in England has been waiting for a year now to have his visa approved to move here. Excellent.
    What a great mindset: My sister's boyfriend is facing silly legal problems, therefore, so should everybody else, especially those people.

I am sure once there are ten million hardworking sisters' boyfriends from England waiting for visas, Obama will urge legal change in that area as well...

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What a great mindset: My sister's boyfriend is facing silly legal problems, therefore, so should everybody else, especially those people.

I am sure once there are ten million hardworking sisters' boyfriends from England waiting for visas, Obama will urge legal change in that area as well...
    I'm just saying it's ironic. I'm not getting into the nitty gritty of the issue. Chill.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My brother-in-law from India also feels a bit resentful about undocumented immigrants after having spent several years jumping through the hoops necessary to get and keep his visa and eventually gain citizenship. I'm not sure it's a fair comparison, though; he came here at first under a student visa, and then when he finished his graduate degree he had an enthusiastic employee sponsor who hired him legally and kept all of their dealings above-board. Nobody was invested in getting or keeping him here illegally to maintain a cheap workforce. Once he was working he made good money and so had the income and work flexibility to jump through the aforementioned hoops. He also came here voluntarily rather than being born here to undocumented parents through no choice of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He also came here voluntarily rather than being born here to undocumented parents through no choice of his own.
    Of course, some people (rich dual-citizens) can find it inconvenient to be considered a US citizen just for being born here.

London Mayor Boris Johnson Owes IRS Money, Won't Pay
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it