User Tag List

First 123

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    How many voters are conceited and is that as big a problem as supposed stupidity?
    Of course not. Ignorant or stupid voters are much more dangerous because they tend to elect equally stupid and ignorant politicians.

Who am I kidding? Youtube is your ace in the hole against ignorance?
    The evidence is all over the place. Youtube is just a convenient source. Here is another:

But when presented with a list of the state's four biggest spending categories, only 22% of likely voters correctly named public schools as the largest. The most guesses (41%) went to prisons, which are actually the smallest category of the four. More specifically, the largest group among those who expressed confidence in their own knowledge incorrectly chose prisons as the biggest item.

Their grasp of state revenues was no better. Only one in three likely voters correctly named the personal income tax as the main source of money, with many choosing motoring charges (a paltry 2% of state revenues). Only 9% of likely voters correctly identified both the largest revenue source and the largest spending destination. As PPIC drily summarises, “most Californians' views about the budget are not based on an understanding of where the money comes from and where it goes.”
    Citizens are not as well-informed as they think

Some more evidence:

Only 2 of 5 voters can name the three branches of the federal government. And 49 percent of Americans think the president has the authority to suspend the Constitution.
    The Ignorant American Voter
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Of course not. Ignorant or stupid voters are much more dangerous because they tend to elect equally stupid and ignorant politicians.

The evidence is all over the place. Youtube is just a convenient source. Here is another:

Citizens are not as well-informed as they think

Some more evidence:

The Ignorant American Voter
    I'm sure there are ignorant voters, there's apathetic ones too but in the main I find people who rail against the mass of humanity in any context, including politics, are exercising a form of self-flattery.

"Look at all the sheeple, I'm glad I'm not like them"

And that is politically conceited. Hayek used to rail against the political conceit of central planners.

Now I'm guess that since I name dropped Hayek you're opinion of my posts is changing. Just another example of my other point that people often equate "smarts" with agreement.

How do you like arguing with someone who is just as dogmatic as but much less susceptible to facts than you, @Tellenbach?
    Likes EffEmDoubleyou liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

However, the main surprise was hidden in the details. Political scientists normally assume that the older, more educated, wealthy and attentive voters are, the better informed they will be. But Kimberly Nalder, a professor at California State University in Sacramento, discovered that in this instance the opposite was true. The factors that usually indicate greater knowledge instead predicted “not only a lack of accurate understanding but actual misinformation”.

Thus Ms Nalder found that the best-educated (those with more than a master's degree) were most likely to answer incorrectly that Proposition 13 applies only to residential property. Those with the least education (high-school dropouts) were most likely to get it right. Similarly, those who were already of voting age when Proposition 13 passed were most likely to answer incorrectly and the youngest correctly. The same pattern held for income, with wealthier respondents being more likely to be misinformed. Perhaps most intriguingly, the largest group among homeowners (who directly benefit from Proposition 13) were misinformed, whereas the largest group of renters (who do not benefit) answered correctly.
    In this instance, people who were older, affluent and with more formal education were more misinformed, and the more misinformed they were, the more likely they were to believe that they were highly informed. I suspect that arrogance contributes to being misinformed. Sometimes, people generalize their success and life experience into everything, which causes them to be difficult to educate.

Also, younger people may be more informed due to greater internet use.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus
    How do you like arguing with someone who is just as dogmatic as but much less susceptible to facts than you, @Tellenbach?
    I don't argue; I enlighten. I'm not dogmatic either; I'm a truthseeker.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

I don't argue; I enlighten. I'm not dogmatic either; I'm a truthseeker.
    Can you really be a 'possibly extreme libertarian' without being dogmatic? I say no.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@Nicodemus

I suppose it's a subjective call. People once thought Elvis' gyrations were extreme as well, but times change.

@Nicodemus

I suppose it's a subjective call. People once thought Elvis' gyrations were extreme as well, but times change.
    Then perhaps a time will come in which you are no longer considered dogmatic.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's sad really. What Jonathan Gruber (Obamacare architect) said of these people is absolutely true. A significant percentage of the electorate are perfectly brainwashed with little to no critical thinking skills (I think that's what Gruber meant by "stupid"). What destroyed Detroit are 5 decades of Democrat policies, but the people there still elect Democrat after Democrat and I'm sure they blame Republicans for the sad state of that city. It's self-destructive behavior brought on by addiction to government entitlements.
    Don't forget nepotism, featherbedding, graft, embezzlement, and corruption. All popular things under "one-party rule".
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You may have name-dropped Hayek, but one word later you substituted you're for your. You lose snarking ability for the next two turns, and the effectiveness of your supercilia spell is halved.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post