User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Let's not think of it as slaughter, let's think of it as s-laughter. Much more pleasant that way.

Here's something I'm curious about. Does PETA have a problem with animals killing each other?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    There is more than one definition you know.
    yes, for example:
    Urban Dictionary: murder
    murder
    57 up, 35 downlove ithate it

What annoying, whiney, and probably unemployed vegetarians call eating meat or wearing fur.
    "Fur is murder! Love your animal friends! Lobster Liberation!!"
    peta vegetarian meat beef food
    by Deering May 21, 2007 email it 0 comments
    murder
    4 up, 11 downlove ithate it

slang term for MDMA

That murder is really quite nice
    mdma ecstacy drugs pills mud rave
    by jamin87 Dec 9, 2007 email it 0 comments
    murder
    5 up, 13 downlove ithate it

1. stealth/stealthy. a completely blacked out car. i.e. black or dark paint, tint, and wheels
    That car is murder yo!
    stealthy stealth blacked out dark clean
    by teggy73 Oct 3, 2007 email it 0 comments
    There is even a multitude of definitions for rape:
    Urban Dictionary: rape
    e.g.
    Rape

2779 up, 939 downlove ithate it

To utterly defeat another person in any form of competitive activies.
    Dude, I totally raped your ass during that last game of Age of Empires.
    by MorfinX Nov 17, 2002 email it 0 comments
    rape - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    1. the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
    2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
    3. statutory rape.
    4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
    5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
    I suppose I can adopt any or all to enhance the emotional force of the side I am on.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've even seen a murder of crows. The term "murder" in this respect must have come from a man with two hobbies: crows and murder. I wonder what PETA thinks about all THAT SHIT. *smashes something*

MBTI
    intp

hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTP

^ I think most people can agree that human beings are the most aware of their own consciousnesses (clunky, but it's what I mean)... also, we're far more adaptable to various environmental pressures than regular animals, mainly due to our ability to harness technology and nature to make up for any inherent biological deficiencies we have. We are also not obligate carnivores, meaning we can more than adequately nourish ourselves, get a full dose of vitamins and proteins and carbs and all that stuff, without killing animals. So, when it comes to animals killing animals, PETA couldn't care less because animals are pretty much locked into certain behaviors, certain behaviors without which, in fact, they would perish. We are not in the same situation.

So, it all boils down to what someone earlier was talking about: how big are our perceptual spheres-of-belonging? Some people are willing to make the sacrifice of not eating meat, whose taste and texture they are possibly very fond of, in order to avoid the unnecessary slaughter of beings which do feel pain (animals do feel pain, whichever way you slice it). Unfortunately, there's a lot of evidence, in fact, I feel it's incontrovertible, that plants also have a certain amount of sentience, they can feel pain, but we cannot survive without consuming vegetable matter. We'd die of various malnutrition-caused diseases (remember scurvy?). So, at this point, for me at least, it's a question of minimizing the amount of death I cause in order to sustain my own life.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    ^ I think most people can agree that human beings are the most aware of their own consciousnesses (clunky, but it's what I mean)... also, we're far more adaptable to various environmental pressures than regular animals, mainly due to our ability to harness technology and nature to make up for any inherent biological deficiencies we have. We are also not obligate carnivores, meaning we can more than adequately nourish ourselves, get a full dose of vitamins and proteins and carbs and all that stuff, without killing animals. So, when it comes to animals killing animals, PETA couldn't care less because animals are pretty much locked into certain behaviors, certain behaviors without which, in fact, they would perish. We are not in the same situation.

So, it all boils down to what someone earlier was talking about: how big are our perceptual spheres-of-belonging? Some people are willing to make the sacrifice of not eating meat, whose taste and texture they are possibly very fond of, in order to avoid the unnecessary slaughter of beings which do feel pain (animals do feel pain, whichever way you slice it). Unfortunately, there's a lot of evidence, in fact, I feel it's incontrovertible, that plants also have a certain amount of sentience, they can feel pain, but we cannot survive without consuming vegetable matter. We'd die of various malnutrition-caused diseases (remember scurvy?). So, at this point, for me at least, it's a question of minimizing the amount of death I cause in order to sustain my own life.
    I've gotten the impression from PETA that they believe in total animal equality. It just seems that acknowledging that some animals have a biological imperative to eat each other that we don't share, while totally reasonable, undermines that. IMO it is a pointer to the unreasonability of PETA's position.

To me, while I appreciate and share your desire to minimize pain and death for my own sustenance, I tend to think that the locus of influence lies in choosing locally grown food from sustainable farms, whether that food be animal or vegetable. The impact of doing so transcends our own small spheres. Supporting ecologically unfriendly vegetable farming hurts more organisms, IMO, than eating an animal that was raised humanely with attention to local ecology.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

So I can slaughter a child for meat because the child can't take responsibility for him or herself?
    Yes. Exactly. You're getting it now. Well done!
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    LAWL

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    I don't think you're reasonable at all, reason.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't think you're reasonable at all, reason.
    Well I do not think that you are Samuel De Mazarinable. So there!
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.