User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    GONE

This is so interesting to me that the NTs seem to be on Peta's "side" so far while Angry Nomad and ENFP, also thinks PETA is ridiculous.

I think PETA is ridiculous for my own hippie reasons. I just think if I were a relative or loved one of the murder victim I would be fucking pissed at seeing the PETA ad run. I might flip a switch and run into the PETA office with a 'beheaded' chicken head or bucket of pigs blood or something primal like that.

I dunno, maybe in this case the NF's are identifying more with emotional afteraste that the PETA's aggressive guerilla tactics produce. Or the extremem hubris of PETA.

While the NTs don't distinguish PETA's method from the basic guts of any marketing strategy. Or see the technical similarities in PETA's claims?

On another note, PETA cannot see past its own nose. They have an extremely limited scope and vocabulary and don't care nor understand how people come from different places. They could be a lot more effective in their anti-fur campaign, for example, if they would just bother to learn and understand who buys fur and why.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    There is an amusing irony with PETA. The problem with animals is that they cannot fulfil the responsibilities that come with having rights. The same is true of many humans, such as the mentally ill, young or elderly. There is one other group, criminals. That PETA activists so often end up in that group is amusing, they are stripped of their rights because they are unable to fulfil the responsbilities which those rights bring, not so unlike the animals that they are trying to help.

I qualify the above by noting that animals do have rights in proportion to their responsibilities, again not unlike the mentally ill, young and old. These groupd do not have the full rights of an ordinary adult human, and are often placed under the stewardship of one who is granted authority to make decisions and take responsbility on their behalf.
    Do you think animals have a right to not be murdered and eaten, like the mentally ill?

Are they trying to encourage murder?? "And then he smiles to himself and imagines its taste with marinara..."

Sorry in advance but c'mon.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm no fan of factory farming, but this is just in poor taste. Not to mention insulting. I tend to resent when an organization thinks that if they hold a shiny thing in front of me and wave it next to some other thing, that I'll just go for the other thing because they associated it with the shiny thing.

PETA is like the Westboro Baptist Church of animal rights organizations. Not helping!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTj

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Do you think animals have a right to not be murdered and eaten, like the mentally ill?
    Nope, they're pretty tasty, and I don't especially care about them. From my understanding, humans aren't very tasty, or else we'd probably see more cannibalism.

Humans generally see the mentally ill as "disabled" persons of their own species, and help them out of compassion/pity. Just as other animals don't (in most cases) kill each other, neither do humans.

Oh, and I loved the Penn and Teller: BS episode about PETA. Definitely worth the watch.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Humans generally see the mentally ill as "disabled" persons of their own species, and help them out of compassion/pity. Just as other animals don't (in most cases) kill each other, neither do humans.
    True. This may be obvious to everyone here, but...Species all look out for their own in some way or cease to exist. As a rule, what happens to every other species isn't important.

I personally believe in protecting nature and non-interference, but when it comes to animals who wouldn't exist as they are without humans, and certainly in nothing near their present numbers, well, they're what's for dinner.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    True. This may be obvious to everyone here, but...Species all look out for their own in some way or cease to exist. As a rule, what happens to every other species isn't important.
    Have you ever heard of the is-ought problem? You're drawing an ethical conclusion based on what's natural without any substantive basis. Rape is also seen in all special, but we don't draw the ethical conclusion that rape is acceptable and thereby justify it on that basis.

I personally believe in protecting nature and non-interference, but when it comes to animals who wouldn't exist as they are without humans, and certainly in nothing near their present numbers, well, they're what's for dinner.
    Besides sounding completely arbitrary, how do you even draw that conclusion with any certainty whatsoever?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I assumed he meant animals we have cultivated and bred from their wild forms, like cattle.

BTW bison tastes better.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Have you ever heard of the is-ought problem? You're drawing an ethical conclusion based on what's natural without any substantive basis. Rape is also seen in all special, but we don't draw the ethical conclusion that rape is acceptable and thereby justify it on that basis.
    I must subscribe to that philosophy as the animal world goes. Who are we to say what animals do to each other?

Besides sounding completely arbitrary, how do you even draw that conclusion with any certainty whatsoever?
    It's a personal belief, not a conclusion. Therefore it is, by nature, arbitrary.