User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it crazy for the US government to not work together at this point?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

3 37.50%
  • Unsure

1 12.50%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Has the US Government Gone Mad?

After the 2014 election of various Congressional figures, America is now divided. Inevitably, this means that Congress, as it is now dominantly Republican, will be stonewalling President Obama even more than before. Do you think that it's crazy at this point- what with the nation's future teetering on a knife-edge- that they have made clear that they would not work together?

MBTI
    DEUS

So how about that two-party system?
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.
    Likes Little_Sticks liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

oh it's deeper than two party system: two words: puppet masters
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Obama's policies have damaged the nation. It would be irrational to help him do even greater damage. I want total obstruction until we can get a new president.

It's funny how I didn't hear all these calls for compromise and working together when the Democrats had a near supermajority in both houses of Congress and the Presidency. Back in 2009, the Dems shut out the Republicans completely in the healthcare discussions and the stimulus bill discussions but that was fine. Obamacare was passed with zero Republican input and that was ok as well. I didn't hear any media sources whine about the Democrats not compromising with the Republicans back then. Why is that?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Someone should put Boehner in diapers.
    Likes Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    So how about that two-party system?
    I thought it was a one-party system with Dissociative Identity Disorder surrounded by a light frothy foam of powerless dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Obama's policies have damaged the nation. It would be irrational to help him do even greater damage. I want total obstruction until we can get a new president.

It's funny how I didn't hear all these calls for compromise and working together when the Democrats had a near supermajority in both houses of Congress and the Presidency. Back in 2009, the Dems shut out the Republicans completely in the healthcare discussions and the stimulus bill discussions but that was fine. Obamacare was passed with zero Republican input and that was ok as well. I didn't hear any media sources whine about the Democrats not compromising with the Republicans back then. Why is that?
    ^^ Yeah, here's one of the problems exemplified.

Take it back another eight years and toss in a fair paragraph about the Bush administration, if you'd like to actually present a balanced view.

But the fracturing of media sources to cater to various demographics results in people becoming completely absorbed and surrounded by like-minded peers, resulting in a lot of dog-eat-dog faction squabbling rather than people actually being forced to examine a mix of philosophies.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Bknight liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But the fracturing of media sources to cater to various demographics results in people becoming completely absorbed and surrounded by like-minded peers, resulting in a lot of dog-eat-dog faction squabbling rather than people actually being forced to examine a mix of philosophies.
    Disagree. If it weren't for far right-wing media would we be talking about Gruber right now? If it were'nt for libertarian media and far left-wing media would we have critical discussions about the NSA and drones?

No, the biggest problem is the single minded elite chattering class that's far too uncritical of the president whether it's Bush's wars or Obama's policies.

We need journalists to be critical not obedient.

If the powers that be know they can get BS past an obedient media elite they have less reason to work with the opposing party.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes tinker683, Little_Sticks liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Disagree. If it weren't for far right-wing media would we be talking about Gruber right now? If it were'nt for libertarian media and far left-wing media would we have critical discussions about NSA and drones?

No, the biggest problem is the single minded elite chattering class that's far too uncritical of the president whether it's Bush's wars or Obama's policies.

We need journalists to be critical not obedient.
    Oh sure, people talk about stuff... but the only people who care are those already in their faction. We have to be able to distinguish between productive engagement and noise that only a particular subset is actually dialed into and wants to hear.

I also think my comments encompassed the "single minded elite" -- yes, they're single-minded, and they're viewing things through their own particular lens, and they have their own media to pipe them the messages they want to hear.

Due to the segmentalization of the populace, there is no "common ground" or shared bandwidth by which to engage each other. When I read news articles (many of them just opinion pieces masquerading as news), the facts and slant taken is SO extreme much of the time that it's an impossibility for sides to come together -- facts are ignored and/or changed so much that they can't even agree on what reality is. It's like they live in two entirely different realities... realities we have manufactured to make each faction insulated and cozy and happy living in their own bubbles.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh sure, people talk about stuff... but the only people who care are those already in their faction. We have to be able to distinguish between productive engagement and noise that only a particular subset is actually dialed into and wants to hear.
    Those people don't have any power or minimal power. I don't know why you would blame them.

Sure you can complain about the government shut down being caused by these people.

But, what about code pink? Are they just creating noise? Getting in the way of people trying to be productive? And by productive I mean 'blowing shit up.'

I also think my comments encompassed the "single minded elite" -- yes, they're single-minded, and they're viewing things through their own particular lens, and they have their own media to pipe them the messages they want to hear.
    I recognize that.

Due to the segmentalization of the populace, there is no "common ground" or shared bandwidth by which to engage each other. When I read news articles (many of them just opinion pieces masquerading as news), the facts and slant taken is SO extreme much of the time that it's an impossibility for sides to come together -- facts are ignored and/or changed so much that they can't even agree on what reality is. It's like they live in two entirely different realities... realities we have manufactured to make each faction insulated and cozy and happy living in their own bubbles.
    Part of the problem is that there can't be common ground. People want to take the country in two opposite directions. You can't shrink the government and grow it at the same time. Of course for whatever reason, just like war is framed as being productive so is any government growth. So there's an inherent bias.

But, as I added above any chance of compromise that could happen is destroyed by the fact that all one side has to do is win over the monolithic media elite.

Actually the real problem is that we gave up on subsidierty and states' rights so every damn policy issue is a national issue and winner take all.

There's no good reason why blue states can't have blue policies and red states have red policies.
    It's just lust for power that gets in the way.