User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it crazy for the US government to not work together at this point?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

3 37.50%
  • Unsure

1 12.50%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Those people don't have any power or minimal power. I don't know why you would blame them.
    They have one power: The power to listen and obey what they are being told.

The voices wouldn't have power if people wouldn't be desperately seeking for the voices to tell them what to do and reinforce their own view of reality.

But, what about code pink? Are they just creating noise? Getting in the way of people trying to be productive? And by productive I mean 'blowing shit up.'
    Sorry, you lost me on "code pink." What's that?

Part of the problem is that there can't be common ground. People want to take the country in two opposite directions. You can't shrink the government and grow it at the same time. Of course for whatever reason, just like war is framed as being productive so is any government growth. So there's an inherent bias.
    There is always common ground.

In terms of the USA, we're all Americans. Mature people can understand that there's a value to small government in keeping costs down and asking people to take some responsibility for their own lives, and there's also value in caring for those who don't actually have the resources (either ever... or "not yet") to get them what they actually do need, if only to the degree where they can start doing it on their own. I would probably be categorized as more liberal (at least socially), but it's not like I can't see where a case can be made for things I might not ultimately vote for if placed in a binary situation -- and I'm not going to criminalize or slander folks who actually argue from that perspective responsibly.

Unfortunately, it's not just "You disagree with me," but, "You disagree with me, which makes you evil, and I will do whatever is in my power to diminish, destroy, and debase you. You're not an American, you're an enemy."

We shouldn't even have cases where people are rigging votes, changing the voting districts, etc., just to get power... if we all really believe in some kind of democracy or at least republic. It's all so petty and stupid.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

I think it is time for America to split up.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp
    Likes Hard, Little_Sticks, Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    What, so that we will be vulnerable to the CANADIAN INVASION OF THE COUNTRY SNATCHERS?

But I can see it now...

"I'm sorry.... it's just not working out. I mean, we had a good run, didn't we? But... well, it's not you, it's ME, honest... I've just... changed... over the years, and well, I don't feel the same about you anymore."

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What, so that we will be vulnerable to the CANADIAN INVASION OF THE COUNTRY SNATCHERS?

But I can see it now...

"I'm sorry.... it's just not working out. I mean, we had a good run, didn't we? But... well, it's not you, it's ME, honest... I've just... changed... over the years, and well, I don't feel the same about you anymore."
    Exactly, I mean enough is enough. Neither party will go to counseling, so why bother prolonging the inevitable. I'm not sure we would want to snatch up the American remains. Well possibly Maine, Vermont and Minnesota (We will take Fargo as well).

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Exactly, I mean enough is enough. Neither party will go to counseling, so why bother prolonging the inevitable. I'm not sure we would want to snatch up the American remains. Well possibly Maine, Vermont and Minnesota (We will take Fargo as well).
    It's okay; if you tried to snatch Texas, the body count would be ruthlessly high. Them and Idaho's been planning against this land swipe for years. Not seeing a ton of resistance in the others though. (Rhode Island and Delaware might be easy pickings too.)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's okay; if you tried to snatch Texas, the body count would be ruthlessly high. Them and Idaho's been planning against this land swipe for years. Not seeing a ton of resistance in the others though. (Rhode Island and Delaware might be easy pickings too.)
    Pfft, everyone knows Texas, California and New Mexico will crawl back to Mexico. Dur

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

The system was always completely ridiculous but it does seem as though a sizable section of the US population has gone coocoo for coco puffs and some disgusting opportunists have taken advantage of this to advance their careers.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Likes Little_Sticks, Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

who would get the nukes then?
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Unfortunately, it's not just "You disagree with me," but, "You disagree with me, which makes you evil, and I will do whatever is in my power to diminish, destroy, and debase you. You're not an American, you're an enemy."
    So you disagree with Harry Reid's characterization of the Tea Party as "evil-doers"? I've lost count of the number of insults hurled at Tea Partiers. They've been called Tea Baggers (by Obama, Maddow, Anderson Cooper, Maher, Garafalo, etc), brownshirts, hostage takers, "the enemy", extremists, bomb-throwers....give me a moment .... oh... and "racist rednecks".

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    ^^ Yeah, here's one of the problems exemplified.

Take it back another eight years and toss in a fair paragraph about the Bush administration, if you'd like to actually present a balanced view.
    I'm not in Congress so how can I be part of the problem? I'm not the one who added 20 million people to the food stamp rolls; I'm not the guy who added $7 trillion to the debt. I'm not the one who lied to the American people (over 100 times) to get Obamacare passed. I had nothing to do with reducing household income by $2500/year. I'm just the guy pointing out everything that's wrong. Bush and the rino GOP Congress screwed up by spending too much, but Obama's screw-ups have been an order of magnitude greater. It's no comparison.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bknight View Post
    After the 2014 election of various Congressional figures, America is now divided. Inevitably, this means that Congress, as it is now dominantly Republican, will be stonewalling President Obama even more than before. Do you think that it's crazy at this point- what with the nation's future teetering on a knife-edge- that they have made clear that they would not work together?
    Wow! Strange that this was posted the same day I had a customer decided to use me as a soundboard.

This has happened before when Newt Gingrich was Speaker(?) where we had Republicans in both houses and Clinton winning the White House. That did not work out nicely. But of course the situation that time wasn't as "dramatic."

Racial tensions are still high, despite people saying otherwise. Instead of it being said openly, it is said through a veil. Some people actually put hopes and dreams on representatives and Obama, I suppose.

Despite their "best" efforts, the economy may seem to be doing better, but it isn't doing well for most people.