User Tag List

Thread: The Governing Trap.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    One sx/sp

Default The Governing Trap.

So here's this remarkable political strategy article from the National Review exclaiming the need for Republicans to not govern.

Second: The desire to prove Republicans can govern also makes them hostage to their opponents in the Democratic party and the media. It empowers Senator Harry Reid, whose dethroning was in large measure the point of the election. If Republicans proclaim that they have to govern now that they run Congress, they maximize the incentive for the Democrats to filibuster everything they can — and for President Obama to veto the remainder. Then the Democrats will explain that the Republicans are too extreme to get anything done.

Third: A prove-you-can-govern strategy will inevitably divide the party on the same tea-party-vs.-establishment lines that Republicans have just succeeded in overcoming. The media will in particular take any refusal to pass a foolish immigration bill that immediately legalizes millions of illegal immigrants as a failure to “govern.”

Fourth: Even if Republicans passed this foolish test, it would do little for them. If voters come to believe that a Republican Congress and a Democratic president are doing a fine job of governing together, why wouldn’t they vote to continue the arrangement in 2016?
    Basically, if Republicans want to win in 2016, they must do absolutely nothing until then.

I saw this article mentioned on the Colbert report, where Stephen does a good job of picking it apart of course, but it's so ludicrous that I needed to see it for myself. Also interesting is the comments section, where I couldn't find anyone who wasn't obviously a Democrat pointing out how terrible this advice is. Looking for it on Google News also shows that many other sites are running with this piece like it isn't horrible.

What is there to say?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right
    Likes Hard liked this post

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

I am about to get on an airplane so I can't say much (plus I am on my phone) but yup, this is spot on and how it will play out. There is no way the republicans will sit there quietly for 2 years.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

9w8 so/sx

Republicans will not pass immigration. They will work with Obama to hand over more favors to corporations. They will repeal Obamacare symbolically so that Obama can veto it. They will defund select parts of it. They will pass a few more symbolic measures for the base that Obama will veto. They know they will lose in 2016, so they will focus on tossing scraps to the base and doing corporate favors so that they can restore their credibility with Goldmann Sachs and have a better chance in 2016.